Fire Extinguisher required for 12' Jon boat?

Dr. Strangelove

I picked up a 1998 Skeeter Industries (G3) 1232 aluminum Jon boat a couple of weeks ago for a song from a co-worker that was just trying to get it out of his yard.

I've picked up life jackets, throwable cushion, new lines, all that stuff, registered it today, it's been fun. It's been about 20yrs since I've owned a boat.

Looking at the requirements on the GA DNR page, it says a fire extinguisher is required to be on the boat. It also says navigation lights and night flares are required which I know not to be true unless I'm operating at night.

The boat is 11'10' (that's what's on the registration, anyway) and is electric trolling motor powered. Is this vessel required to carry a fire extinguisher? Seems like that would only apply if I was using a gas motor.

hipster dufus

I would carry one anyway, though I dont think it's required under 16ft. I do know u hafta register if u put any kind of motor on it.

Dupree

I’ve been checked by dnr in my boat with only electric motors and I asked him if I was supposed to have a fire extinguisher and he said no

2dye4

Best to have PFDs, throwables, whistle/horn and fire extinguisher onboard for your own safety IMO.

Nuttin Better

Being an open john boat and not having a gas-powered motor I believe it meets the exception of not requiring a fire extinguisher. Navigation lights are required if you are on the water at night.

GeorgiaBob

You are operating a boat under 16 feet long without a motor (a removable electric trolling motor does NOT make it a powerboat under GA law), therefore you are obligated to have only life jackets for every occupant, a white light (does not have to be mounted) visible from all directions, and a horn (a "night signaling device"). Georgia law does NOT grant an exception for the light or "night signaling device" if you only operate in daylight. A ranger or sheriff might, but why take the chance. I believe you can meet the requirements by putting a horn or whistle and a flashlight with a white dome in a small bag.

If you are going to carry an emergency bag anyway, why not include a little fire extinguisher (make sure it will deal with electrical fire - you are carrying a battery and electric motor on water!) Other things that are not required but might come in handy are a small anchor and 100' of rode, one of those aluminized vinyl survival blankets, a couple of bags of long storage drinking water, Sunburn cream w/zinc, and an inexpensive little VHF radio (keep it in a vacuum sealed bag with the batteries separate).

Have fun!

Wire Nut

A fire extinguisher is only required when you have a built in fuel tank/cell. I found out the hard way with a 1542 stick steer powered by an outboard jet. It had an 18 gal fuel cell built in under the rear deck. A very nice warden explained it all to me at the ramp.

Dr. Strangelove

Thanks, All!

@GeorgiaBob - does anyone monitor VHF 16 on inland waters? I do have a handheld VHF but I didn't think anyone used them this far inland (Athens, GA).

I was surprised a paddle/oar isn't required. I thought it used to be, I'll certainly be taking one with. Anyway, I have all the required items and then some, just trying to figure out how to save some space/weight. This is an 11'11" boat with a 3'9" beam so space will be at a premium.

I'll be putting it in state water most of the time so I wanted to make sure I was legal.

GeorgiaBob

Thanks, All!

@GeorgiaBob - does anyone monitor VHF 16 on inland waters? I do have a handheld VHF but I didn't think anyone used them this far inland (Athens, GA).

I was surprised a paddle/oar isn't required. I thought it used to be, I'll certainly be taking one with. Anyway, I have all the required items and then some, just trying to figure out how to save some space/weight. This is an 11'11" boat with a 3'9" beam so space will be at a premium.

I'll be putting it in state water most of the time so I wanted to make sure I was legal.

I am a blue water sailor who happens to also keep a kayak and a 14' jon boat on a small lake in Liberty county (mostly for grandkids but when they aren't around either one is perfect for fishing). I cannot attest to the number of VHF users on Georgia inland waters. But there are both Ham operators and FCC marine license holders who monitor emergency channels all across the US. I know a couple of folks who use their VHF on Lake Sinclair, so there are at least some inland users.

I do know that the Coast Guard monitors ch16 from stations that can hear an emergency call from a pretty long way away. Their coastal antennas have been known to pick up calls from a handheld over 200 miles away. The USCG has radio equipped stations and units on inland waters. Many Sheriff's offices, in counties with recreational or navigable waters, have marine units and they will have VHF radios and monitor ch16.

Taking a paddle is also a good idea. I have oars on the jon boat and the kayak paddle. If space is a concern for the other stuff, I suggest finding a vinyl bag (I use a dry bag) smaller than a backpack and carefully pack everything but the paddle and life jackets. If the bag will fit under a seat, perfect!

Other goodies I didn't mention, but I sometimes carry, include an umbrella (shade or protection from a shower), a scoop to bail with, a small weather radio (or just a cheap little AM that you can use to check the weather while you're out), and inflatable beach toys or floats (can be partially inflated to be cushions, inflated enough to be fenders to keep boats from banging each other, or attach a rock and a line and they are temporary location marking buoys).

While red/green navigation lights are not required for non motorized boats under 16', you can get small LED lights in red and green that are really small and inexpensive (check out Amazon). Some of those lights are no bigger than a silver dollar. I have a couple of each and double sided tape stashed in my bag so I can add nav lights in seconds if I don't get back by dark.