West Point - good access for electric only boat?

kirby999

West Point has been tough since December.
water level has been up and down as much as five feet in a week .
rain hasn’t helped any , keeping mud stirred up .
last Friday Liberty Hill had started to clear up some .
I checked the water level online and today it‘s up about a foot and half since Friday .

cjones

West Point has been tough since December.
water level has been up and down as much as five feet in a week .
rain hasn’t helped any , keeping mud stirred up .
last Friday Liberty Hill had started to clear up some .
I checked the water level online and today it‘s up about a foot and half since Friday .

I was surprised at how low it was when we were out there last weekend. I know they sometimes lower water levels on lakes during the winter so folks can do dock maintenance, etc. and to have headroom for the 'rainy season', but it seemed like it was down more than I would have expected just by measuring against the high water marks on the banks.

I'm (obviously) new to learning West Point. Are the up and down levels typical of that lake?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I was surprised at how low it was when we were out there last weekend. I know they sometimes lower water levels on lakes during the winter so folks can do dock maintenance, etc. and to have headroom for the 'rainy season', but it seemed like it was down more than I would have expected just by measuring against the high water marks on the banks.

I'm (obviously) new to learning West Point. Are the up and down levels typical of that lake?
Yes. It is a flood control lake first and foremost. All of the lakes south of it are very small surface acre wise and when we are having super wet times, it will fluctuate a lot. It is basically the workhorse of the whole system.

kirby999

I read West Point was dropped an extra couple feet this past fall through winter to allow some work on the dam .

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I read West Point was dropped an extra couple feet this past fall through winter to allow some work on the dam .
They put it off because the contract didn't get awarded in time. They say it will be done the next 3 winter's. It will be pulled to 626 instead of 628. Will make things really good fishing wise, but very dangerous in certain areas.