Boat Ramp stories

BeerThirty

I have a pretty interesting boat ramp story...

This is maybe 20 years ago on a major river in Wisconsin when I was growing up. My dad and I were heading back in after a day walleye fishing. As we approached the ramp, we noticed an army of Asian fishermen with their lines all cast out in such a way that they were completely blocking access to the ramp. My dad made a pass trying to get their attention and tell them that we wanted in. Their English was terrible as we tried to communicate. We tried explaining over and over, using hand gestures and pointing at the ramp, trying to motion them to reel in their lines. This went on for 5 minutes before the patriarch of the group very clearly shook his head "no" and went back to fishing, presumably telling the other members in his group to keep fishing as well.

At this point, I knew stuff was about to get real. My dad spouted off a couple profanities back at the group, told me to sit down and watch his back. He ripped the boat around and came in hard towards the ramp. He drove the boat right through probably 5 or 6 different fishing lines. He broke them all off as they got caught in our prop. He jumped off the boat first onto the dock and told me to come with. We had a very angry group of about 10 Asian fishermen in our face. They called the cops on us and we explained the situation. Every single one of them received a citation. Never saw them fish over that ramp again, too.

Dr. Strangelove

Best thing I've ever seen:

A young couple with kids and very obviously a new boat were taking some time (a long time) trying to get down the ramp to launch. That alone was interesting to watch. A couple of guys were just sitting at the end of the dock fishing.

A couple of drunk, mouthy dudes waiting for the ramp starting yelling and trash talking. Young dude finally gets his boat in the water and is standing on the dock next to his boat.

Trashy drunk guy comes up and mouths off at poor new to boating family guy, the punches him the face and guy falls off the dock into the water.

A few seconds later, trash mouth guy is tackled and handcuffed face down on the dock. Turns out the two guys fishing were FL DNR. They proceeded to tear his boat and vehicle apart.

Instant Karma!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Lake Blackshear has its share of boat ramp moments. Watched a mature feller one time trying to back a ski boat in using his Grand Marquis. His wife was outside the car directing as best she could. He jack knifed the trailer at least 12 times, slung his cap and said some harsh words. He did eventually get the bit launched.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Was fishing a Tuesday night tournament some years back and one Ol boy was being polite and hurrying to free up the ramp. He forgot to raise his motor and strap the boat to the trailer. A Triton makes a pretty good clunk when it hits concrete.

BASS1FUN

Boat ramp follies you’ve got to love them. Fishing a bass tournament out on Lake Sinclair and as we were waiting for the meeting to start before blast off we heard screaming and a loud noise from the ramp and the guy forgot to disconnect his transom straps so the boat got snatched around and skidded back up the ramp as the guy in truck was headed to park, he was blessed not to have severely damage his boat but that and many stories I could tell.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Boat ramp follies you’ve got to love them. Fishing a bass tournament out on Lake Sinclair and as we were waiting for the meeting to start before blast off we heard screaming and a loud noise from the ramp and the guy forgot to disconnect his transom straps so the boat got snatched around and skidded back up the ramp as the guy in truck was headed to park, he was blessed not to have severely damage his boat but that and many stories I could tell.
I watched a guy At Horace king ramp on West Point try for 15 minutes to get his boat off the trailer only to realize his transom straps were still on . I’m pretty sure it was a borrowed boat .