Boat Ramp stories

GTMODawg

BANNED
The West Point Ringer thread reminded me....is their anything more assured of in life than seeing some of the greatest moments in man's history than spending a few minutes around a boat ramp???

Seriously...for absolutely free you can go to any boat ramp in the nation and watch otherwise sane folks completely lose their minds, watch families that were as happy as they had ever been just minutes earlier start divorce proceedings and cussing their kids and kicking their dogs, cars, trailers, boats all disspearing, not to mention the property that will be destroyed if you stay long enough. It is one of my favorite past times! Every boat owner has stories about other folks and most of us have ones about our own meltdowns. I personally am quick to relay the former but loathe to share the latter 'cause I am bent that way. Anyone got a good one?

I have several but one that comes to mind took place about this time of year about 35 years ago when I was a young man and not altogether familiar with the drama and comedy on display at boat ramps.

It was Sunny Point Access on West Point, crappie jumping in the boat and every boat owner within 300 miles putting in or taking out all day long. Old boy pulls up with a brand new procraft bass boat...no registration, no trailer tag....probably took delivery the night before...and his wife heads up the dock to get the truck. Apparently she had never backed a trailer down a ramp or anywhere for that matter because there was 2 ramps there at the time and she was making use of both of them at the same time. Needless to say old boy was already out on the lake waiting so some well meaning gents offered her some advice. This was a good looking woman. In stress. A southern gentleman is going to step in under those conditions. Old boy notices that about 35 men are helping his pretty wife and gets back to the dock, ties up, and commences to tell her how to back down the ramp. This did not go well as anyone can imagine. They soon began to discuss, at a loud volume, what kind of idiot couldn't back up a trailer and what kind of idiot couldn't refrain from cussing their wife like that in public. When they get to talking about one another's family tree she finally had enough, jumps out of the truck, and heads god knows where on foot. She did put the truck in park, speaking to her ability to remain sensible when no doubt wathcing that old boy's truck disappear under the surface would have suited her current mood.

Old boy takes off after her until about 2/3s of the 7000 other people there trying to use the ramp suggest he get his truck out of the way first because she ain't getting far on foot. He hears this and decides he is going to get the boat out himself, to heck with her! He does an admirable job of backing the trailer in....calmly walks to his boat, unties it, cranks it, idols out past the no wake bouy....and showers down on it! He goes about 1/2 mile down the lake, turns it hard over, and here he comes back to the ramp, running about 70 and showing no sign of slowing down. He gets off the throttle at about the no wake bouy and coasts up the trailer at about 40 MPH....hits the trailer stem, shears it right off and proceeds to place the trolling motor and bow almost completely into the bed of his truck.

He is sho enough mad now. He gets out, looks the situation over,,,,and pulls out with that boat half on the truck and half on the trailer. About that time someone mentions that his wife is on the bridge watching all of this. He turns right out of the parking lot....and while we can't hear them at that point she eventually opens the door, gets in, and they proceed wherever they were headed with that boat still sitting mostly in the bed of that truck! You can't buy a ticket for that kind of spectacle at any price!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've tried for years to get a "get 2 gether" of folks and rent out the camping lots across from the Blockhouse ramp on Toona on one of the major boating weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day). We could set there with big signs like the olympic judges do and "score" the ramp activities. It'd be a hoot.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I’m not too proud to say I had one of them moments myself. About 10 years ago, it was the first trip of the year in early February. I was launching at Sunny Point, back down the ramp, undid the front strap, put the plug in, removed the motor toter and backed into the water. I usually push the boat off the trailer, and jump in and get it cranked, motor to the dock then go get in the truck and park it. Well this one time I couldn’t push the boat off the trailer. Jumped in the truck backed a little deeper in and tried again. Still couldn’t push it off. The whole time there’s a guy next to me taking his boat out and he’s watching. Finally after 3 attempts to shove the boat off the trailer almost to the point of swamping it, I realized what was wrong.

Forgot to take one of the stern straps off.

He looked at me like I was mentally challenged. I have launched a boat a thousand times since I was 16. It’s the first time I ever did that.

We shared a good laugh about it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Watched a guy get out of his boat at the dock and leave the wife to back out and do circles short of the ramp while he got the truck. He backs the trailer in and as she is coming around to lineup the boat the motor stalls and she can’t get it started. The boat is headed for the ramp now at a fair clip from the momentum. He’s yelling at her to get the trolling motor down so she can control the boat. I’ll just say he got a lot of wife for his money and the boat nose dives as she goes forward to the trolling motor. She flips the trolling motor down just as the boat arrives at ramp. You can here the crack as the trolling motor mount snaps free. The boat continues and runs a ground on the concrete ramp with the trolling motor bent and dangling over the side. The ole boy finally gets the boat wrangled onto the trailer. It was about 10-15 minutes of you can’t make this up as I waited my turn to get my boat out.

BassRaider

Not including jon/2man boats, I've had 7 bass boats (4 new) since early '80's. I could write a laundry list of things I did wrong or have been involved with others boats during tournaments.
On one occasion, my wife & I were camping at West Point. After fishing, she wanted to back the trailer down the single ramp after never done this before. No one else was around so I said time to learn. After 20 attempts on jacknifing the trailer, it was time for me to put a stop to it. I trolled to the dock, got off the boat and back down the ramp. Go back in the boat and proceeded to drive the boat on the trailer forgetting to raise the TM. Those TM shafts are not made to bend like my did. Thank god no one was around to hear the words that came out of my mouth.

TurkeyH90

I have watched several comedies such as this play out. Ive gotten involved and helped several times. Ive forgotten a strap and a motor toter myself. Pretty easy to get stressed out and start down that slippery slope. What ticks me off is the ones who lolly gag around blocking a double ramp with one boat and seem to forget a million thing they have to get out of the truck before they pull up and clear the ramp.

basstrkr

Years ago I watched two old men come to the ramp with a 15 ft aluminum boat. This small guy who looked 90, was probably70, get out with a childs life jacket around his neck. The other guy proceeds to back the boat in the lake and then the truck into the lake. he stopped bout when the front tires met the water line. I told the small guy he could go down to the shop (about 75 yds away) and the owner might come pull his truck out. Small guy says he can't walk that far he just had heart surgery!

Took us about an hour to fish everything out.

Final word: When they opened the door of the truck water ran out and all the papers and such that was being stored under his truck seat was emptied on the pavement.

dang

DANG !!!
LOL. This is a good one. Getting on the watch list.
I ain’t got any crazy stories like that but I did watch two women come in at ringer (West Point) in an inboard/outboard ski boat or bow rider lookin thing. I was thinking, you don’t usually see that, let’s see how they do….well the first hops out and backs the trailer down the ramp smoother and faster than any man could hold a candle to. I thought…wow, I’m impressed.
The second pulls the boat right onto the trailer, they hook it up quick and I’m thinking, wow…now I’m REALLY impressed.
Then just as I was reaching for Bat Jacks 10/10 judging sign to hold up and congratulate them, the one in the vehicle guns it up the ramp to pull out and I hear the most god awful noise of the skeg dragging the entire way up the ramp!! The one in the boat started hollering and the one in the vehicle hit the brake and she’s trying to trim it up but it’s stuck, wedged in from her braking. Eventually it “popped” free and when I say popped free I mean I do not have a clue how the transom wasn’t ripped off! Oddly enough they sorta just drove off and left like everything was fine :fine:
My wife and I were pulling our boat out at the time and we both sorta looked at each other with that “don’t say nuttin till they’re gone” look …and then we lost it!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
LOL. This is a good one. Getting on the watch list.
I ain’t got any crazy stories like that but I did watch two women come in at ringer (West Point) in an inboard/outboard ski boat or bow rider lookin thing. I was thinking, you don’t usually see that, let’s see how they do….well the first hops out and backs the trailer down the ramp smoother and faster than any man could hold a candle to. I thought…wow, I’m impressed.
The second pulls the boat right onto the trailer, they hook it up quick and I’m thinking, wow…now I’m REALLY impressed.
Then just as I was reaching for Bat Jacks 10/10 judging sign to hold up and congratulate them, the one in the vehicle guns it up the ramp to pull out and I hear the most god awful noise of the skeg dragging the entire way up the ramp!! The one in the boat started hollering and the one in the vehicle hit the brake and she’s trying to trim it up but it’s stuck, wedged in from her braking. Eventually it “popped” free and when I say popped free I mean I do not have a clue how the transom wasn’t ripped off! Oddly enough they sorta just drove off and left like everything was fine :fine:
My wife and I were pulling our boat out at the time and we both sorta looked at each other with that “don’t say nuttin till they’re gone” look …and then we lost it!
Dang!

dang

DANG !!!
I’ll admit some of my own. Ive forgotten plugs before, pretty much always on little jon boats I could manhandle but (luckily) I don’t have too many major screw ups with my big boat. The one thing I do think was probably pretty comical, although short lived was the first time launching my bay boat. I had enough brains to go mid-day to a ramp that was dead, but I dumped her in and didn’t realize that the darn thing had a “kill switch”. So I sat there trying to crank it over for a little while wondering if I had just gotten scammed. If anyone was around and knew what was going on I’d imagine that was pretty entertaining

BassRaider

Fishing a tourney as non boater at CH years ago and the guy forgot to put the plug in. While standing in water I said pull back to the dock and I'll back the truck in. Another boater pulled up and reached down and put the plug in. The bilge pump working overdrive and the boater decided to blast off (while I'm up front so we could plane). We get to the spot to fish and the boat starts filling back up with water. Turns out the helper plugged up the livewell. Since the boater was an older man & diabetic, it was up to me to plug the correct hole. I stripped down to my boxers, got out and put the plug in correctly. After all that I finished 2nd and my partner 5th.

Buford_Dawg

Watched a guy at West bank on Lanier drown his jeep one afternoon on the ramp. All you could see was the top of jeep at the end of the ramp. Boat floated real nice off the trailer, someone else had go go fetch it. Will remember that rest of my life.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've tried for years to get a "get 2 gether" of folks and rent out the camping lots across from the Blockhouse ramp on Toona on one of the major boating weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day). We could set there with big signs like the olympic judges do and "score" the ramp activities. It'd be a hoot.

For several years, some friends and I would make a few trips a year to Jupiter Fla to kayak fish for snook at night around the hundreds of dock lights in the area.

The fishing was a lot of fun, but we also very much enjoyed The Burt Reynolds Park boat ramp(s).

We'd get there a couple hours before dark just to watch the show. We saw it ALL, but one irrefutable fact emerged.

Drunk chicks are the most interesting...

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I launched my boat last weekend fishing alone. I usually tie a long rope from the boat to the trailer, but I didn't have it so I tied a dock line to a ratchet strap. When I backed down far enough to float the boat the knot slipped and off my boat went out into the lake. As luck would have a very nice kayak fisherman just pulled up and kindly retrieved my runaway boat for me! The ramp was empty before he showed up, I thought I was going for a cold swim before he showed up.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I launched my boat last weekend fishing alone. I usually tie a long rope from the boat to the trailer, but I didn't have it so I tied a dock line to a ratchet strap. When I backed down far enough to float the boat the knot slipped and off my boat went out into the lake. As luck would have a very nice kayak fisherman just pulled up and kindly retrieved my runaway boat for me! The ramp was empty before he showed up, I thought I was going for a cold swim before he showed up.

Same thing happened to me! I have a 25ft rope with a snap hook on one end and a loop on the other. When I'm by myself (which is often), I'll back to the water's edge and hook the snap hook onto the front of the boat and wrap the loop around my trailer winch handle. Then I'll back into the water slowly and once the boat is free of the trailer, I'll ease forward until the boat is just resting on the ramp.

One time, I backed in a little fast and when the slack in the rope tightened, the factory knot slipped and my boat just kept drifting. Fortunately, there was another boat just coming in to the ramp and he idled over and picked me up and we went to get my boat.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I remember the first time I left a plug out of a boat. My wife was holding the rope and I went a parked the truck. When I got back to the dock, there wasn't 6 inches of my boat above water. I managed to jump in stick the plug in to keep it from sinking. I started the engine and when I got it going down the lake as fast as she would go, I pulled the plug and siphoned the water out. It was a modified tri-hull boat with a 20hp Merc tiller steered motor so reaching the plug running down the lake wasn't a problem.

Then I went back and got my wife. She caught a 5 lb + walleye that day

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have never ever, not even once, done anything stooopid at a boat ramp when I was sober.

I don't usually consume much reeb but once upon a time many years ago --
I had a 12ft semi V hull fishing boat that was pushed around with a 3.9hp Merc. I did not have a trailer but hauled it in the back of my pickup. I took the motor off the boat when it came out of the water.

One Summer day I took a friend down to Dyers Pasture and we motored up river so as to drift back down fishing leisurely. Said friend did consume reebs in great quantity and had brought along enough for a much larger group. The day was hot and I lost myself in fishing and thirst. By the time we got back to the ramp I was way more tipsy than was proper. Once my friend got the bow tied off I loosened the motor mounts and lifted it free of the transom. My equilibrium was not up to the challenge and I lost both my balance and my hold on the motor which went over the side into the river. My mental condition also got in the way of my immediately remembering that I had a safety rope on the motor but I did pull it back up with no damage.

This was a Summertime trip so there were not a lot of folks there to entertain themselves at my expense. The nearest witness was much more inebriated than I and hardly noticed.

GTMODawg

BANNED

That'd be a blast. In my experience Alatoona may well be the best source on the planet for boat ramp hi-jinks!