Boat Ramp stories

Whitefeather

Management Material
In all seriousness, if someone finds themselves is this situation is there any way to self rescue?
Maybe find some sand along the water and throw it out on the ramp for traction????

He was alone so he couldn’t get in the boat and use the big motor to help push him up the ramp to get him over the ramp drop off.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sand the ramp as mentioned above. Then get a jack or another lever under the trailer and find a way to take enough weight off the wheels for the truck to be able to pull it out

BigBass123

Maybe find some sand along the water and throw it out on the ramp for traction????

He was alone so he couldn’t get in the boat and use the big motor to help push him up the ramp to get him over the ramp drop off.

Sand the ramp as mentioned above. Then get a jack or another lever under the trailer and find a way to take enough weight off the wheels for the truck to be able to pull it out
Sand makes sense, rocks were my first thought. Pretty much the same concept.

sprewett

One day when I had gotten out at upper stamp creek at allatoona I saw two guys come pull in with a 10' Jon boat. These were two full grown men. I kinda thought man that boat is gonna be riding low hope a pleasure craft doesn't come by. While I was parked securing my stuff I heard a commotion. When I looked I didn't see either of the men's heads above the dock. I ran down there to find the Jon boat on the bottom, stuff floating everywhere, and both men scrambling to get to shore. The boat was small enough that I was able to drag it back to shore for them with the attached rope. The guy had gotten in off the dock leaned and the boat began to tip he couldn't correct and down it went all while the brand new engine Yamaha was running too.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
One day when I had gotten out at upper stamp creek at allatoona I saw two guys come pull in with a 10' Jon boat. These were two full grown men. I kinda thought man that boat is gonna be riding low hope a pleasure craft doesn't come by. While I was parked securing my stuff I heard a commotion. When I looked I didn't see either of the men's heads above the dock. I ran down there to find the Jon boat on the bottom, stuff floating everywhere, and both men scrambling to get to shore. The boat was small enough that I was able to drag it back to shore for them with the attached rope. The guy had gotten in off the dock leaned and the boat began to tip he couldn't correct and down it went all while the brand new engine Yamaha was running too.
I've had 12/34 jon boat my whole life and fished fresh and salt waters with out a care. That being said.. for the past 5 years, since I got a touch crippled up a WAY over weight... I won't put it in my 2 acre pond much less in a real lake. Some folks just got no concept of how the world works.

sprewett

I've had 12/34 jon boat my whole life and fished fresh and salt waters with out a care. That being said.. for the past 5 years, since I got a touch crippled up a WAY over weight... I won't put it in my 2 acre pond much less in a real lake. Some folks just got no concept of how the world works.
I also fish out of a Jon boat a 14/36. It is plenty stable for me and another person but I do not go in open water with big boats done that one time and abought had myself a submarine. I sure love the versatility of a Jon boat.

Bowyer29

I've been shocked a the overloaded jon boats I see on Allatoona every year.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Go to Presnell`s in St Joe Bay on the opening of scallop season. You see boats I wouldn`t trust on a farm pond, badly overloaded with idiots.

There was a fella on here I wana say his name was Chad smith can’t recall if he is still around. He is or was a guide on Oconee. He was loading his pontoon boat and of memory serves me right it floated his truck and all off in the water.

ryanh487

I've been shocked a the overloaded jon boats I see on Allatoona every year.
Yup. People don't read the tag and think 2 seats mean 2 adults can fit. Me, a small cooler of ice, tackle box and a trolling motor with a battery would be pushing capacity on a 10' jon and I ain't even fat no more.

BigBass123

Yup. People don't read the tag and think 2 seats mean 2 adults can fit. Me, a small cooler of ice, tackle box and a trolling motor with a battery would be pushing capacity on a 10' jon and I ain't even fat no more.

I doubt I’m the only one that’s ever run open water in the dark during duck season in a jon with 2 guys, shotguns, decoys, cooler, blind, waders, chairs, etc. Some guys are even adding a dog in there.

Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

ryanh487

I doubt I’m the only one that’s ever run open water in the dark during duck season in a jon with 2 guys, shotguns, decoys, cooler, blind, waders, chairs, etc. Some guys are even adding a dog in there.

Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

My 19' mako can barely handle the wake from some of the yachts that cruise allatoona. I've had waves wash over my bow. You couldn't pay me to be in a loaded down jon out there.

Bowyer29

My 19' mako can barely handle the wake from some of the yachts that cruise allatoona. I've had waves wash over my bow. You couldn't pay me to be in a loaded down jon out there.
Agreed! My Tracker 175 isn't enough boat for me on even the moderately busy days.

Lindseys Grandpa

Many moons ago myself and a Buddy were fishing up river having pit in at Ringer along with about 400 others or so it seemed . It was mid March if I remember correctly. A huge thunderstorm came up suddenly and it was a mad dash to the ramp . Upon our arrival we observed several boats waiting to take out however a man had told his wife to get the trailer and she had everything stopped up .
She would jackknife it left and right , he was cussing other folks were cussing and she was hysterical. The storm was at the 219 bridge and coming fast . Finally a man ran up and basically pulled from truck and backed it in . I realized it was to late damage was done so we beached our boat and waited out the storm and I mean it was a storm , thunder , lightning and sideways rain .

panfishvinnie

A buddy of mines EXwife was backing his trailer in after a day of fishing. Before she did he told her when "I get the boat on the trailer pull the trailer up in the parking lot". He no sooner bumped the the front stop, she gunned it, and dropped him, his boat and motor on the ramp!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Take your boat off trailer, pull up enough to get over whatever trailer is hung on , usually off end of ramp . Then load boat
This!

I can anticipate probable failure by just watching the driver. If they turn their head around instead of using the mirrors, I’ll usually pay attention just in case!

I have tried many many times, to teach my wife how to back up a trailer. I cannot count how many times she just wanted to go home after being so excited to go to the lake! I find it best to just load and unload by myself……I got you babe!
It’s a lot more fun when I just tell her to sit in the boat and look pretty!

At about 7 or 8 I guess, my son was backing up little trailer with the riding lawn mower…….he’s almost as good as me :ROFLMAO:

specialk

jaybirdius

Eagle Harbor on St. Joe's bay when a summertime thunderstorm is popping lightning all around in the middle of a downpour get's crazy. I've learned to get out of there when I see the storm clouds on the horizon. Most folks wait til it's on top of them before they try get out of there. I got my merit badge down there once and won't let that happen again. I'll second Presnell's and the wrecks people pull out of there in.