Ramp Etiquette

Fullnet2

I must say, I've have my first boat 2 years and I still can't back it down straight. If anyone is watching they probably think I'm drunk. Still, I'm very aware of everything that's going on around me and I try to get out of everyone's way as quickly as possible. This weekend I put in at Little Hall Park on Lanier and couldn't believe the number of people just lingering around the boat launch and docks that were fishing. There's a whole lake out there! Get out of everyone's way! It made it hard to tie up to the dock. If you see someone struggling it may not be that they're being inconsiderate...they may be like me and just lack the talent. It never hurts to ask if you can lend a hand unless they're being outright obnoxious.
No problem with someone having a little trouble backing but anyone can get the boat ready before putting it on the ramp. Anyway, I'm quite happy today and yesterday is long gone. Really a bit out of character for me to get frizzed. Just need to thank God for every day he gives us on this earth.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I must say, I've have my first boat 2 years and I still can't back it down straight. If anyone is watching they probably think I'm drunk. Still, I'm very aware of everything that's going on around me and I try to get out of everyone's way as quickly as possible. This weekend I put in at Little Hall Park on Lanier and couldn't believe the number of people just lingering around the boat launch and docks that were fishing. There's a whole lake out there! Get out of everyone's way! It made it hard to tie up to the dock. If you see someone struggling it may not be that they're being inconsiderate...they may be like me and just lack the talent. It never hurts to ask if you can lend a hand unless they're being outright obnoxious.
T, just remember that being able to 'folllow' the boat is just as critical as being able to 'cut' the boat.
1 or 2 short empty parking lot sessions will work wonders.
GL...

Bowyer29

Allatoona can be absolutely horrible. I usually hold my tongue but the fishing boats that pull down, dilly dally and drink coffee while unloading really bother me.

little rascal

This was a single lane ramp on the chattahoochee river with a line of boats waiting to put in.
Idiots abound. But not all of them are kayakers.
Oh any ramp at Chattahoochee is the worst. I just come backing in fast and if you crap is is on the ramp it's getting scooted out of the way or run over. Usually they get out of the way.

little rascal

Ya'll should see WV, everything up here is all about the rafters and whitewater enthusiast. Quit owning the parking lot, I'll run over you junk.

Rebel's Dad

And for heaven's sake, when it's dark please turn off your lights when you're on the ramp so the guy trying to back in can see something!

Years ago I was putting on Allatoona on a Sunday evening. There were several other fishermen in line and the Sunday play boaters were taking out. A guy with a runabout type boat took out on the ramp nearest to where the line to put on is. He pulled the boat up to just off the ramp and stopped, and started wiping down the boat with a towel. Because of where he was he had all three ramps blocked.

I was next in line to launch and was taking off straps, transom saver, etc., and he was just wiping away. I walked over toward him and said as nicely as I could, "Sir? Would you mind moving up into the parking area to clean your boat? There's folks in line."

He immediately lost it and started coming at me, screaming and cussing a blue streak that would embarrass a sailor, right in front of his wife and three children under ten. I heard a couple of car doors close behind me and I looked over my shoulder--every other fisherman in line was out of his truck walking toward us.

Needless to say chamois boy decided to find another spot to detail his boat.

Sometimes it's ignorance, sometimes it's rudeness, sometimes it's a bit of both.

Bowyer29

And for heaven's sake, when it's dark please turn off your lights when you're on the ramp so the guy trying to back in can see something!

Years ago I was putting on Allatoona on a Sunday evening. There were several other fishermen in line and the Sunday play boaters were taking out. A guy with a runabout type boat took out on the ramp nearest to where the line to put on is. He pulled the boat up to just off the ramp and stopped, and started wiping down the boat with a towel. Because of where he was he had all three ramps blocked.

I was next in line to launch and was taking off straps, transom saver, etc., and he was just wiping away. I walked over toward him and said as nicely as I could, "Sir? Would you mind moving up into the parking area to clean your boat? There's folks in line."

He immediately lost it and started coming at me, screaming and cussing a blue streak that would embarrass a sailor, right in front of his wife and three children under ten. I heard a couple of car doors close behind me and I looked over my shoulder--every other fisherman in line was out of his truck walking toward us.

Needless to say chamois boy decided to find another spot to detail his boat.

Sometimes it's ignorance, sometimes it's rudeness, sometimes it's a bit of both.
I find this behavior to be common on Toona.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Glad I’m retired now and just fish during the week and stay off the public waters on weekends. I’m still willing to get out and help someone in need rather than sitting in truck fuming because they are taking too long.

slow motion

There's another side to ramp etiquette. Yes you should do your prep such as loading or unloading, strapping or un, etc off the ramp. When you see someone who is struggling please don't exacerbate the situation by making them more nervous. Don't know how many times I've had someone apologize for taking too long to load up. My standard answer is "Take your time. If I was in a hurry I should have gotten here sooner. " Everybody has to learn or has a bad day. Just my .02.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
The leaving of headlights on always gets me :LOL:
Gotta remember that there was a period (late 90's / early 2000's) that the ONLY way to turn one's headlights out was to put the parking break on. If the motor was run'n so was the headlights. I know there's not too many of them left out there now .. but my 2000 Chevy 1 ton is.

kingfish

Back in the day, my Dad and I took great pride in our launching and loading prowess at the Mayport ramp in Jax. We were a symphony. I'm proud to say that today, all my buddies I fish with know the drill. The new show is the Taylor County ramp in Steinhatchee during scallop season. Sober in the morning, hammered in the afternoon. All with kids and pets. It's unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone if there and they are by themselves, I always get out and offer to help them.

I have hooked up and pulled 100 guys boats out of the water for them over the years.

I got no problem offering people who are obviously struggling.

Last time I pulled into the local ramp I got out and helped a lady and her kids load several kayaks on top of their car. Little kindness goes a long way these days. She admitted that she knew it was going to be a struggle to get the kayaks back up on top by herself and said that nobody had even offered to help them, and they had been trying to get them up there for a half an hour.

Who just drives by someone like that?!?

Answer, most of the time, everyone...

Dr. Strangelove

Best thing I've ever seen:

A young couple with kids and very obviously a new boat were taking some time (a long time) trying to get down the ramp to launch. That alone was interesting to watch. A couple of guys were just sitting at the end of the dock fishing.

A couple of drunk, mouthy dudes waiting for the ramp starting yelling and trash talking. Young dude finally gets his boat in the water and is standing on the dock next to his boat.

Trashy drunk guy comes up and mouths off at poor new to boating family guy, the punches him the face and guy falls off the dock into the water.

A few seconds later, trash mouth guy is tackled and handcuffed face down on the dock. Turns out the two guys fishing were FL DNR. They proceeded to tear his boat and vehicle apart.

Instant Karma!