9mm or 40 cal

snookdoctor

I was in the same boat when I started to ccw almost 30 years ago.

The cops were all carrying 40sw and the police shooting league i was in gave "magnum" credit for 40sw.

These days I shoot alot of 9mm. I do not feel undergunned at all. It hits exactly where I aim.
That's it, right there. If you can't hit the ground with a bowling ball, caliber isn't going to matter. Practice and be comfortable with whatever you carry.

MudDucker

Staff member
Myself, while I can only have 1 wife at the time, I can have a harem of pistols.

Lets see, I've got 22lr, 22mag, 5.7, 9m, 357 and 45. The only one tough to keep in ammo is the 5.7, but it is a wicked gun. Oh and I got one of them pistols that shots .410 as well as 45. Don't tell my wife, she'll get jealous.

trial&error

It's going to be personal preference decision.

9mm
more ammo or smaller frame
less recoil
ammo price

40 sw
less ammo bigger frame
more recoil
ammo price

I haven't seen enough real world results for personal defense to comment on performance between the 2 rounds. I have seen the 40 move my steel pistol target, where the 9 just makes it sway a little. I haven't shot a critter with the 40 yet.

transfixer

Most all Law Enforcement agencies in SC have went back to 9 mm. I was told there was very little difference in performance but a large different in price per case. The SCHP may be different in their way of thinking. It also seems a little easier on the people who suffer from the “ weenie wrists “. 6 of one kind 1/2 dozen of the other.

my son's agency went back to 9mm about 4 or 5 yrs ago, it was mainly about money, ammo costs less for 9mm, and many deputies that had a difficult time qualifying with 40cal found it easier with 9mm

If I knew I was going into a gun fight I would opt for my Glock 23 in 40cal, even though I'm all about bullet placement over bigger calibers, I shoot my 23 equally as well if not better than my p365 that I carry daily , 9mm is still anemic to me compared to 40, I carry the p365 because its more comfortable to daily carry

DannyW

I use a 9mm Glock.

Some of you older folk probably remember the birth of the 40 cal, it came about as a result of an infamous FBI shoot out in 1986 in which 2 FBI agents were killed and 5 more wounded. The two criminals were hit multiple times, mostly with 9mm and 357, but still continued the close-up gun battle for 5 minutes.

You can read about it here: 1986 FBI Shoot Out

Specifically, in the section titled AFTERMATH, it says the following:

A subsequent FBI investigation placed partial blame for the agents' deaths on the lack of stopping power exhibited by their service handguns. While some agents were equipped with 9 mm semi-automatic pistols, most had revolvers, which made up the majority of the weapons used in the fight. The FBI soon began a search for a more powerful cartridge to issue to all agents. Noting the difficulties of reloading a revolver while under fire, the FBI specified that agents should be armed with box magazine-fed semi-automatic pistols. This incident contributed to the increasing trend for law enforcement agencies to switch from revolvers to semi-automatics across the United States.[13]

In the aftermath, the FBI collaborated with Smith & Wesson to develop the S&W Model 1076 chambered for the 10 mm Auto round.

Soon afterwards Smith & Wesson developed a shorter cased cartridge based on the 10 mm, the .40 S&W. This became more popular than its parent due to the ability to chamber in standard frame semi-automatic pistols initially designed for the 9 mm Parabellum.

A little history lesson...

gb1194

I own several 40’s, it’s what I got used to at work. I can hit where I aim with it and never had an issue getting ammo. I’ve actually never owned or shot a 9 but I’m sure it’s a fine round. All in what you get used to I guess.

GunnSmokeer

As little as I shoot these days, I would be better served with a .40 caliber.
Though the 9mm is always better for faster shots due to lower recoil and muzzle flip. But years ago I sold off my 40 and .45 handguns in favor of the 9mm so that I could afford to practice more, and enter matches to build up my skill level. I don't want to sell or trade my 9mm-- I've got too much "trigger time" on it.
But ballistically I think there's no reasonable doubt the .40 Short & Weak STILL puts more energy into the target, and rips a wider wound channel, than a nine Mil.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have both. 40 in my console and a 9 concealed.

Dub

I routinely get range time with my carry guns.

My carry guns are chambered in 9mm, .45acp & .38 Super.

The range ammo cost is 50% lower for 9mm than the other two.

Latest posts