A Day in the Life of a Trout Bum....

MoeBirds

(long; sorry, "cabin fever").....

Well the girls and I are hangin tough. We’d made it through the worst of it or so it seemed. Then Mother Nature throws us a chilly bone in the teens along with a foot of snow and I’m of course still just as surprised as Suzie and Boca when I open the door, though less enthusiastic to go out and play in it.

The mule deer are plentiful now down along the river, as the heavy snow has forced them into areas with some visible food. They’re still wary however, as are the dog walkers, joggers, and fishermen; since we’ve had two mountain lions working the area surrounding our little village all winter. I sat out at a deer-kill for several hours hoping to get footage (dedicated as I am), but instead simply froze and so did my camera. Perhaps it was the stationary Z-71, along with the shivering man, and two dogs that barked at everything that moved outside, which gave away our position. I was extremely jealous as my neighbor took some pretty impressive pictures of one with her instamatic, while walking her dog ‘Biscuit’ a week before.

Regardless of this photographic failure, I’ve managed to sell quite a bit of my stuff to magazines and lodge-websites (bears, deer, bird-hunting, fly-fishing) which has helped immensely in the finances department. I’m still however ‘essentially unemployed’ and on the old ham and salami sandwiches or hot dogs for lunch every single day. It’s amazing how little you can live on when you have no other choice. Skipping breakfast by sleeping-thru-it helps yet is not the best way to start the day; especially when you add in the quick 7AM run across the road usually half-awake and freezing to let the girls play in neighbor’s fenced yard.

I’ll stir again (‘officially wake up’) around 11 and have my morning Starbuck’s mocha frap-a-chino (the store bought kind; $1.50). I realize that comes to almost $40.00 per month, but without it I might never wake up. I’ll then spend at least 3 hours a day reading books I’ve checked out from the Hardin Library. I’ve read over 50 by all the best authors, though still about as smart as when I arrived. Then it’s “nap-timeâ€� with the girls around 2 to 3PM for an hour. Boca likes to snuggle in the upper ¾ of my body, while Suzie warms the lower 3rd (math is not my strong point). This sleeping arrangement helps me as I’m saving funds on winter-heating; using my dog’s combined body-temperature as ‘a lively blanket’ of sorts. We awake to the familiar game of “get your paw out of my eyeballâ€�.

I’m essentially keeping the ‘same daily-routine’ as my 80 year old Dad, minus the dogs, though he’s retired after 40 years at same company and has a better excuse for his laziness than I.:rolleyes:

Occasionally I’ll write for a few hours, then splurge and follow this up for dinner with meatless pasta, raw tuna fish, or a frozen pizza; and I subsequently look about as appealing as that sounds. The pups too have had to make sacrifices. They’ve long since rid their bodies of the overly-healthy and expensive Purina Pro Plan and now eat whatever I put in front of them. I call it the ‘Off-Season Amateur Plan’, though I don’t think either of them gets the joke; as they artfully discolor the snow-banks surrounding my home in an ‘abstract’ sort of way.

They’re doing fine and “love Montana� as much as I do apparently; Suzie even says so from time to time. They play all day in the neighbor’s fenced-yard while I write or sleep. Unfortunately however, when the owner gets back this season, which should be any day now (and I run to the window whenever I hear the rare vehicle coming down my road), he’s likely gonna have a cow; as Suzie and Boca have torn his grass up by the paw full! What was once a nice four-lot yard of green grass is now dirt and not much else. They even felled a sizeable tree by digging up its roots, then chewing it down to the stump like a couple lost beavers! They’ve worn a permanent dirt-path wrapping the guy’s home (a doublewide) where they love to chase each other till exhaustion. I’m sure they’re not being destructive ‘on purpose’, but when you look at the sheer devastation; you kinda wonder?:confused:

A fence for my own yard (about 50’x50’) is ‘in the plans’, yet no funds to support such an idea as of yet. “Kennels are not allowedâ€� I was told by my landlord long ago. Apparently there’s more concern for the outdoor décor than the in.

On a similar subject; my furniture in the ‘tin can’ is second-hand, dates back to the early 70’s, and came with the place. The problem is there isn’t a scratch on it; nothing, not even a slight tear or stain and this is after 6 months of Suzie and Boca sleeping on the things! I find myself oddly perturbed by this, only because when ‘I used to own nice furniture’. The kind I’d bought with my own hard earned money and once enjoyed the comforts of; they destroyed nearly every single piece of it! It’s like the two of them possess some uncanny ability to ‘decipher the actual value of items’, before they can be bothered with chewing them to smithereens during their busy schedules? Giving the term “expensive taste� it’s proper canine definition.:mad:

…..
As far as my own self destructive behavior, I’ll admit I’ve kinda let myself go a bit; especially in the ‘physical appearance category’. Long hair has never suited me well even in my teens; it annoyingly curls about 5� down my face in a Bozo like frizz. Don’t look anything like the ‘rock star’ I always wanted to be and instead resemble, from what I’ve been told by neighbors (those that still dare talk to me that is); “a mix between an Al Qaeda Warlord and Charlie Manson�. The full ‘ZZ Top’ beard added as much character unfortunately; even more “deranged� when seen walking a young German shorthair and tiny Brittany, both possessed by Old Man Winter, down the dirt road in a blizzard. I’d always wondered what it would look like, simply not cutting or shaving either for four months, and now I know; …“UGLY�(er)!!!!

A $20.00 haircut and shave has been ever so carefully added into weekly budget. I tried giving myself both to save on this expense, but this only angered the Hair God’s more and I’m almost embarrassed to walk into the Crow barber shop for fear of the inevitable ‘crazy white man’ ridicule. Picture a fuller-figured version of Abe Lincoln.

The reason for this concern; …I’m finally going back to work! :fine:

The fly shop and lodge will be opening in another week (12 hour days) and I’m still going to ‘do shuttle’ on days off during-season to make up for this past 3 months off. Several of the guides are back from Patagonia and the Keys now and business is starting to pick up regardless of economy. Looks like season should be pretty busy; contrary to what a newspaper might have you believe. Our lodge in particular is nearly 90% booked for the month of April and May and earliest opening for any groups over two-people is in June. Something about the fact ‘the fly fishing on the Big Horn is fantastic every spring’ and anglers can catch endless amounts of trout on dry flies, seems to draw folks from around the world.
………………….
I’ve been down the river about 15 times this Winter and have gotten quite good at fly fishing, though it weren’t easy I’ll admit. I doubt however, I’ll have the skills down to make it as a full-fledged ‘Big Horn River-guide’ this season and look forward to another one of learning all I can working at the shop and fishing. It’s certainly not my ‘deplorable monetary-status, deranged physical appearance, or odd-outlook on success’ (all common afflictions of fishing and hunting guides from GA too MT it appears). Instead most of these guys have at least a few years experience on the Horn and/or grew up fly fishing MT waters. My aim is to ‘cram’ for another season and maybe ‘give it a go’ next year; and in the off chance a lodge-manager position opens up (kind of what I’m holding out for); I’m there to step in too (sober this time).

I usually get at least one or two invites to fish a week, as most know I’m unemployed and “will row for free�. Locals’ like this, as then they can target areas inaccessible by-foot without worrying about ‘rowing themselves into rocks’. I usually do pretty well without anyone’s help in this regard; which is often followed by the question (sometimes in a near scream): “Have you ever rowed before�?

“You mean besides yesterday�?!

Once our heart-rates have dropped to measurable levels, we’ll stop and wade-fish for hours along the better pools and riffles. We rarely go past the upper 3 miles before getting off, as this holds the most fish (next ramp’s another 10 miles). It’s great fun, but of course in the very back of my mind; I know I should be working a fulltime job, be married, have kids, and a mortgage,…but grin and bear it still.
I usually mooch a free meal out of the deal too!
I was borrowing gear on most of these trips, which is comical since I work at arguably “the best fly shop in town� (there’s 3 within 100 feet of each other), but it’s understood I’m flat broke. I wear my camouflaged duck-hunting waders I’ve had for six years, which have more patches adorning them than most vests have pockets; as felt-bottom boots and chest-waders are quite pricy. Not to mention my ‘odd size’, regardless of diet; requires special-ordering. As a bonus I’ll get ‘a Pro Discount’ of 50% off anything in store this season, which is also laughable since I’m still considered ‘a novice’ as far as fly fishing, but the owners are being extremely kind to me. For about $200.00 bucks I should be able to buy a nice rod and reel that cost twice that much retail.

This ‘deal’ has peaked my interest and ‘my priorities are a little skewed’ (nothing’s changed in that regard:rolleyes:); as I’ve decided to forgo the fenced yard and/or getting Boca ‘fixed’ for another month. This decision will probably; no make that ‘definitely’ be a disaster, but hey; ‘Spring is just around the bend’……. Instead I aim to take part of my tax-return (due any day now) and go grab that 9’ Sage rod and Abel reel I’ve had my eye on for so long. The rest will be used for survival.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:type:….Work on my book’s going well and may turn into two as I got ‘a little carried away’; somewhat like these long threads. I blame it on ‘cabin fever’. For anyone who ever visited a quail/deer-hunting plantation, thought of going to one, or Heaven forbid ‘working at one’; I think you’ll get a kick out of this subject in particular! I still have a little ways to go before attempts at publishing/editing either (month or so).

Until then the days keep ticking by and life on the Big Horn continues without much concern to the next. It’s a ‘one day at a time’ mentality out here and suits me just fine. I visit our tiny Yellowtail Market in the village sometimes (in between my Hardin visits) and if I see another soul in line, this usually means it’s a weekend (half-size of a 7-11). I don’t know how many times I’ve looked down and seen the Sunday paper all thick in the rack and asked aloud: “its Sunday�:confused:?!
... This gets the usual silent response from the Indian behind the counter and I head back out the door; wearing everything I own into another blizzard.

Although the single-life had served me well for years before; once the leaves sprout back on trees I intend to pursue companionship in or around Billings or Sheridan, and utilize the Eskimo Online Dating Service if I have to. For in Winter out here, like the bears, women of all age and size categories also go into hibernation it appears. I’m not sure any of the above makes me much of a ‘catch’ I’ll admit, but think I’ve lowered my standards just far enough out of desperation; …I ought to at least get a date or two:huh:?
………………..
It’s funny to think an odd, carefree, and seemingly anonymous thread online; about “Quitting my job� turned into a following, an interest and audience, an unforgettable road-trip; and then a passion for the written-word (maybe even a book). I have to thank many of those here on Woody’s Forum for suggesting I continue to do so, else I may have just gone on as the ‘hunting-bum’ I’d been for years without a story told. I sincerely appreciate all those who travelled with me and stuck it out till the end. :cool:
…………….
As expected I still sit on my throne, ‘when Nature Calls’ and read Field and Stream; as well as other ‘journals of the john’. Unlike before however, I no longer ‘fantasize about living in another locale’. Instead ‘I’m here, I did it’; made-the-move, and spend my minutes studying page-after-page what others before have written about the outdoor sports I love.
…Those which now defy me to pursue; be it elk hunting, wing-shooting, or trout fishing on one of the best rivers in the world…’only if I sleep-in’.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys during this troubling time.

Later,

G.

DebDay

I want a copy of your 'book' once it hits the stands.....

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Moe, you ain't lost your touch, I do believe you have only gotten better!
Keep us posted & good luck! :flag:

Don't forget your Woody's Followers get the first autographed editions when it's printed!!!!!! :biggrin2:

7mm mag 06

took me about 4 hours total two months ago to read "I quit my job!!" and that was nothing short of amazing! good to hear all is well in Moetana. Live the life..

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
It's about time you gave us an update :whip: I will have to say that was a great read and I truly enjoyed it as usual :cool: I have a new mission now... to make certain Moebirds shows up for the WAR III reunion next March :eek: :yeah: I mean it too so you better start making plans to attend... It would be awesome to sit around a campfire with you :)

Mlrtime

Another good read! I'll spend a few bucks on the book when it comes out, assuming I have a job and gots the bucks to spend...