A little tip....

AL trout bum

A friend turned me on to this stuff, it's called Permethrin or by it's name brand - Sawyers. I am always skeptical of new insect repellant items, but a friend I trust has swore by it. You treat your clothes by spraying them and letting them dry. Then the treatment lasts for up to six washings. He said he hasn't had to pick a tick off of him since he's started using this stuff. It repels insects AND kills them on contact. Most other online reviews are positive as well. I just treated my clothes today. This coupled with my thermacell, and I should be worry free when it comes to insects. Now if only the turkeys cooperate.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_588203_-1__?N=129184807&Ntt=sawyers&Ntk=All

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I been using that stuff since the late 80's! Ticks hate it as well as misquito's.

antnye

I've used this also. Haven't seen a tic since. Works great.

gregg

Always nice to share good finds, but I'm just warning you that some folks around here may get a little "smart" as this stuff has been around for a long time.....it does work great.

AL trout bum

Always nice to share good finds, but I'm just warning you that some folks around here may get a little "smart" as this stuff has been around for a long time.....it does work great.

I'm sure some have known about it for years, but I was mainly hoping to catch another new turkey hunter such as myself. I'm 28 and have never heard of the stuff til a month ago!

six

I've always heard about it but never tried it. I think I'll pick some up this week and give it a try.

For the people who have used it. Does it really still work even after washing your clothes?

antnye

I've always heard about it but never tried it. I think I'll pick some up this week and give it a try.

For the people who have used it. Does it really still work even after washing your clothes?

Yea it seems to hold up all season for me. I treat my boots also. Don't get a tic.

Now I forgot to treat before bow season a couple years ago and got eat up with seed tics at bf grant. I don't forget now. :bounce:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Six, I have always pre-treated my clothes and let it dry after I take them out of the wash. I have never tried not treating it after a wash. I never wanted to take that chance!

ALtb, I was not aware that people did not know about this stuff. It was a must have for hunting in GA. I have been using it for a while. The names have changed over the years. If you spray your skin, it does not hurt, but the after effects are not known! If it got on my skin, I would wash off well! It works for me. That was the old timey Thermacell. :bounce:
Tim

AL trout bum

ALtb, I was not aware that people did not know about this stuff. It was a must have for hunting in GA. I have been using it for a while. The names have changed over the years. If you spray your skin, it does not hurt, but the after effects are not known! If it got on my skin, I would wash off well! It works for me. That was the old timey Thermacell. :bounce:
Tim

I have no clue why I've never heard of it. I guess because I never turkey hunted until 4 years ago. When I deer hunt, it's rarely warm enough for ticks and if it is, I don't go!

I am hoping this is the year I finally bag a turkey. 4 years of waiting can drive man mad!!! :banginghe

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good Luck AL! I hope you get a big one! Just remember, patience is a virtue!!! Don't get in a hurry and stay 45 minutes longer when you want to leave!
Good Luck, Tim

Reminex

yup anything with permethrin and your good to go.
some people are allergic to it as some are allergic to deet. thats why dont spray yourself. just be mindful if you develop a rash. common thought is
it will not hurt long term . very common pesticide used in flea baths and spray for dogs. i did have a marine biologist peta girl tell me it would change your dna...maybe ill get wolverine claws.lol enjoy!

hoythunter1861

For those who use permethrin, does it leave a sent? The clothes I will wear for turkey hunting, are the same I'll wear for bow season throughout all deer season. Real big on scent control lol

Ricochet

Yep, great stuff - a must in the turkey woods!

No. the repellent will be washed away.
If you wash your camo very often, it'll become dull and stick out like a sore thumb.:D

six

If you wash your camo very often, it'll become dull and stick out like a sore thumb.:D
I wash mine inside out and in cold water. Also let it air dry and so far no fading. I've heard that the dryer will cause more fading than anyhting, but I really don't know.