A.N. Wilson on why he has rejected atheism.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Something HAS to be eternal. Whatever first cause you chose, no matter how far back you go, something had to exist before hand that is eternal, exist outside of the influence of space- time and be non material in nature. There is simply no getting around that. A spaceless, timeless, non material something.

That leaves either an abstract being or an abstract concept/s.

Abstract concepts (numbers, mathematical formulas,) have no causative power.

That leaves an abstract, timeless, non material, spaceless, being with causative powers known locally as _ _ _.

How is there no getting around that? Your mind is the only thing limiting the possibilities.
How can one thing be eternal when you say nothing else can be eternal? It is simply how you explain to yourself what you cannot understand.
Someone will say their God is eternal but you will argue that their God had to start somewhere and that YOUR God was more eternal plus 1.
Saying something HAS to be eternal and then asserting the God you just so happen to worship is it without anything else is just not enough.
Energy quite possibly is about as eternal as anything gets. No made up deity needed to explain it.

Do you have any idea about how many Gods are credited with being eternal and responsible for creation? Their oral traditions and books are just as much "proof" as the next Gods.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

I honestly enjoyed the first post in this thread.

Years ago, I worked with a man who was a student at the Fruitland Baptist Bible College just outside Hendersonville, NC, my hometown. He was studying to be a Baptist preacher while working for our mutual employer. We became friends and soon realized that we were on opposite sides of the belief spectrum.

Due to the nature of our jobs, we had plenty of time to discuss our differences. We agreed not to disparage one another on the basis of belief or non-belief, the only stipulation I had was any argument he posed could not be proven by "faith", it had to have solid evidence to support his views.

I really enjoyed my time talking with him, but he never changed my agnostic ways.

A person can make themselves anything that they care, but it doesn't make it true. The fever with which you believe it doesn't make it true.

I'd love to able to think that anything in my life is "God's will", but it's not. We've all won the cosmic lottery in that the earth happened to be at the right distance from a star that supported life as we know it.

Maybe our world is an atom in a blender in someone's kitchen in some other dimension, or maybe we're the only ones out here. I just don't need a justification for why we're here.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
How is there no getting around that? Your mind is the only thing limiting the possibilities.
How can one thing be eternal when you say nothing else can be eternal? It is simply how you explain to yourself what you cannot understand.
Someone will say their God is eternal but you will argue that their God had to start somewhere and that YOUR God was more eternal plus 1.
Saying something HAS to be eternal and then asserting the God you just so happen to worship is it without anything else is just not enough.
Energy quite possibly is about as eternal as anything gets. No made up deity needed to explain it.

Do you have any idea about how many Gods are credited with being eternal and responsible for creation? Their oral traditions and books are just as much "proof" as the next Gods.

Bullet there are so many fallacies, red herrings, and irrational statements in that I'm gonna take a pass. Have a good day.

660griz

Bullet there are so many fallacies, red herrings, and irrational statements in that I'm gonna take a pass.

Just take this part, it pretty much sums it up.

Energy quite possibly is about as eternal as anything gets.

What is wrong with the above?