A Special Tribute To My Late Wife

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
To all of my friends here, it is no secret that I absolutely LOVE Georgia High School Football and especially the Playoffs in Atlanta. I have made so many close friends over so many years now because of football and the playoffs at various cities all over Georgia. For 31 -1/2 years, my late wife was always a huge part of these "football trips" and we had a wonderful time. Of course, even when our Daughter was fairly young, she also was able to go to every one of these games with us as well.

This yearly weekend is always Very Special to me because of the normal playoff games in the "original" Georgia Dome and of course now in the new Mercedes Benz Arena. Congratulations to all of the teams that made into these special playoff games. Unfortunately some of them won't be able to play their games as originally scheduled due to this weather situation and I will miss seeing their talent this year for sure.

Now, I hope that you will read my special tribute to my late wife who unfortunately passed away back 11 years ago on this day during a very special day of High School Football playoffs in the original Georgia Dome.

The following information can also be found in the Hall of Heroes "Features Section" on the Lincoln County Red Devils Website @ http://www.reddevils.us/

Heroes: Mike & Debbie Cliatt
December 12, 2006

Allison Cliatt has nominated her mom, Debbie Cliatt, for our Hall of Heroes. Debbie passed away while in Atlanta for the 2006 Dome games. We're also including her father Mike, a true Red Devil fan.

Here's Allison's nomination, dated December 10, 2006:

This time last week, I was contemplating sending in a nomination for the next hero, but with final exams going on, I never got around to doing it. Originally, I wanted to nominate my dad, Mike. His loyalty to Lincoln County has been instilled in me since before I was even old enough to walk. (Keep in mind that I'm what has been dubbed as an NFL, or Not From Lincolnton.)

Lincoln County football has been in his blood for generations. He used to make it to nearly every game before my mom's medical problems. Even then, he made it to most games. My dad is probably one of the loudest people in Buddy Bufford Stadium on Friday nights. From horns powered by 12-volt batteries to his yellow flag in his back pocket (just in case the referees forget theirs), he's known as a die-hard fan. Ask him about road trips to Homerville, Folkston, Monticello, Miller County, and he can tell you all about how many times he's been there, how cold it was, who was on the bus, and what kind of heck he gave the referees that night. He may not remember much these days, but he ALWAYS remembers Lincoln County games.

This past week, he asked me about going back to the Dome. Let me tell you, this is one devoted man. He wants to be the first one in line every year, even if it means being there at 5 AM in the freezing cold. He gets there early so he can get his seats. Front row, 50-yard line, no exceptions. I figured I might need to give him a little help this year and join him in this ritual for an unprecedented EIGHTH time. As it turned out, he didn't need my help. For a 55-year-old, he's still got what it takes, even if it means cheering for another team in the first game.

I can't tell you how ecstatic he was that Lincoln County would be in the title game once again, but as you know, it was a very bittersweet day after finding out that my mom passed away in the hotel room while we were gone. In talking with friends and family, it became very obvious to me that I had omitted one very important nominee.

My dad could not possibly have found a more devoted Red Devil fan in my mom (also an NFL). When I was a child, she picked me up early every Friday afternoon from school in Augusta, and we would drive to Lincolnton. She always made signs for the big games or bought Red Devil paraphernalia. She always made sure to have a noisemaker or two on hand. Come Saturday morning, her hands would have blisters from cow bells and noisemakers and have little or no voice from all the yelling she had done.

Over the last six and a half years, she hasn't made it to many games. Her health problems made it impossible most of the time, but when she felt strong enough to walk, she always insisted on going to the game. The only way we could have kept her home would have been to lock her up and throw away the key. Just several weeks ago, she was in the hospital in a coma for nine days and on a ventilator for 18. One of the first things she asked after being taken off the ventilator was if my dad had made reservations at the OMNI Hotel for another trip to the Dome. It didn't matter to her that she was still sick. She just knew that Lincoln County was headed back for another trip and that she was going, even if it was only to watch the game on TV at the hotel. She simply wanted a change of scenery and a chance to show her support.

She managed to make it just one game this year. She was determined to make it to the Hawkinsville-Lincoln County match-up. With her oxygen tank handy and lots of blankets, she was able to sit through most of the game before having to be helped to the car early in the fourth quarter. It wore her out, but she wouldn't have had it any other way.

Even on the way to Atlanta, she asked if we brought her new red sweatshirt, her blinking Red Devil pin, and her noisemakers even though she knew she would be watching the game from the hotel. It was a rough weekend, and we offered to cut it short so that we could take her to the hospital. She refused. When Saturday morning rolled around, she appeared to be doing much better and insisted we still go to the game. When we had set out that morning, we never knew that would be the last time we would see her alive. Unfortunately, even though she was only 52 years old, she died in our hotel room while watching the game as a result of her 8th and final Cardiac arrest. She was a fighter and a miracle. Most importantly, I know that she didn't suffer and that she died doing what she loved, and that was being a part of a Lincoln County tradition.

She has touched so many people, and not a game goes by that people don't ask about her. Their thoughts and prayers have meant so much to all of us the last few years. I know that my mom will be with us in spirit next Saturday night against Clinch County, and I imagine she will have a much better seat than the rest of us.

GO BIG RED!

Allison Cliatt

Recently, we lost one of the nicest members of this GON website. He passed away very suddenly while enjoying spending time at their hunting club. He was known as Moonpie (from Macon ) to all of us and he was the utmost gentleman. He was one of the most talented cat-fisherman and also one of the very best cooks of most any kind of food (but especially frying catfish). Most of us in the Driveler Threads have always been used to logging on really early every morning and bantering with Moonpie (Joe) etc and enjoying every second of it too. I know that Joe and I always enjoyed our conversations together. I, along with many others here surely miss our bantering back and forth with such a fine man.

Moonpie, my friend, I miss you so much!!!!!!!

Today is a very sad day for me and I hope that all of you will understand my words and feelings displayed here.

I don't have any doubt that Moonpie and my late wife, Debbie, are probably celebrating up in heaven today.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
It's gonna take me a while to read this one. :cry::cry:So touching.

wvdawg

Staff member
God bless you Mike. Thank you so much for letting us share and for pointing out what really matters most.

basstrkr

Thanks for sharing

Sorry for your loss. This story supports what my family has recently been saying to one another. "You never know what someone may be going through".

creekrunner

Used to hunt in Wilkes County near the Broad river in the 80’s and remember listening to the games. Some of those Lincoln County and Washington-Wilkes games were epic

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Mike, you have been through a lot. God bless you. We are glad to have you with us.

Back in the 50s & 60s the Lincoln County - Washington-Wilkes game was the first game of the season and folks from all over the area went to it. There was frequently only standing room in the end zones available.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thank you for sharing your memories with us. I remember well when High School Football was the center of attention in many towns and cities through out Georgia in the fall.

3ringer

Sorry for your loss

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Thats a fitting tribute Mike. Although I never met your wife or Moonpie.I can tell they were both good peoples by the posts from you and others.I hope your holidays are filled with joy and happiness with your children and family.Remember you always have a second family here on GON.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
:love: :love: :love:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Mike, I would have been honored to meet your late wife Debbie.

That was a very touching tribute to Debbie and Moonpie.

Thanks for sharing that.

Latest posts