A Spit and Whittle Thread About the Seminole Tribe

crackerdave

The Seminoles have always been friendly to outlaws and various other runaways,including slaves.I never was a slave but I lived a rambling life in the 15 years between wife number one and my present...and last...one.

One day while rambling around the Ocala National Forest,me and a fellow guitar-toter found ourselves near Orange Springs where we saw a sign that directed us to a Seminole pow-wow down the road a ways.Hmmmm...that might be fun,we said.
When we got a ways down a sugar sand road,a large Native American feller was standing at the entrance to the pow-wow and introduced himself as Tommy Two Hawks.He said we were welcome,but no drugs or alcohol allowed.That was ok...we'd already finished our morning 12 pack.Tommy saw our guitars in the back of the truck and asked what we played.Country,I said.He said would yall do me a big favor and play some for us? There was one lone Indian with an out of tune electric guitar and he was having a hard time,is the kindest way I can put it.He couldn't sing.Joe and I asked if we could sit in and play some,and he looked really relieved.He said yall can have it!
We proceeded to play till dark,and had a ball with the audience.There was a mixed crowd of maybe 75 people of all varieties,and they loved the music,and danced a lot.Some of them wore colorful costumes and did Native dances.
Anyway,I sang every song I knew until I got hoarse and thirsty.That was the longest I ever played without a beer. It was time to eat,and man did they feed us!
After that,TommyTwo Hawks said they were gonna have a little ceremony and make me and Joe honorary Seminoles!

And so...that is why I am technically still at war with the US government.

The end.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The Seminoles have always been friendly to outlaws and various other runaways,including slaves.I never was a slave but I lived a rambling life in the 15 years between wife number one and my present...and last...one.

One day while rambling around the Ocala National Forest,me and a fellow guitar-toter found ourselves near Orange Springs where we saw a sign that directed us to a Seminole pow-wow down the road a ways.Hmmmm...that might be fun,we said.
When we got a ways down a sugar sand road,a large Native American feller was standing at the entrance to the pow-wow and introduced himself as Tommy Two Hawks.He said we were welcome,but no drugs or alcohol allowed.That was ok...we'd already finished our morning 12 pack.Tommy saw our guitars in the back of the truck and asked what we played.Country,I said.He said would yall do me a big favor and play some for us? There was one lone Indian with an out of tune electric guitar and he was having a hard time,is the kindest way I can put it.He couldn't sing.Joe and I asked if we could sit in and play some,and he looked really relieved.He said yall can have it!
We proceeded to play till dark,and had a ball with the audience.There was a mixed crowd of maybe 75 people of all varieties,and they loved the music,and danced a lot.Some of them wore colorful costumes and did Native dances.
Anyway,I sang every song I knew until I got hoarse and thirsty.That was the longest I ever played without a beer. It was time to eat,and man did they feed us!
After that,TommyTwo Hawks said they were gonna have a little ceremony and make me and Joe honorary Seminoles!

The end.
Thanks for the story, enjoyed hearing it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You sure that wasn't me down there drunk pickin' and bellerin' with a feather in my hair? :bounce:

Hillbilly stalker

Great story. When I was younger I really read up on the Seminoles. At that point, it was the longest war the U.S had been in, and captured Osceola under a flag of truce. Made my blood boil. I think my favorite book was " Wildcat the Seminole" it was about Chief Okeechobee. They look like a glamourous proud people. I admired their woodsman ship and ability to use the sawgrass to their advantage. Great story.(y)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sure has,Steve. I miss the campouts! That heart attack kinda hamstrung my 70 year old butt.
Just living over half a century has semi-hamstrung me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Johnny 71

Junebug

The end.
Great story, thanks for sharing

Redbow

We need more stories about people, hunting and fishing trips, bow and arrow shooting, maybe farming, killing hogs, natural things in nature that have happened, etc.

That was a fine story crackerdave, wish I could have been there with y'all.

crackerdave

We need more stories about people, hunting and fishing trips, bow and arrow shooting, maybe farming, killing hogs, natural things in nature that have happened, etc.

That was a fine story crackerdave, wish I could have been there with y'all.
Wish you could have been there,too.I think you would have fit right in!