AAR: 2014 Spring Rendezvous @ Legion OTG in Blakely GA

cmshoot

Legion OTG is a 5,000 acre training facility located in Blakely, GA. Awesome location!

The shoot was hosted by Sniper's Paradise and Precision Applications, LLC.

We used the UKD/Sniper Tower Range. We had a cardboard/paper zero target at 100yds with over 20 steel targets starting at 200yds and running out to 2,500yds.

We shot from a combination of a raised dirt berm and an elevated Sniper Tower made of stacked trailers.

Shooters used a selection of calibers from .223/5.56 up through .50BMG. Semi-autos and bolt actions were on the line. Most rifles were optics-equipped, but iron-sights were used as well. There were several "milsurp" firearms, including an M1 Garand, a Spanish Mauser, and a "Dragunov" (I don't know exactly what make/model it was, but I'm sure the shooter will chime in). I know for a fact that some of the iron-sight shooters were successful out to 1,000yds+.

One of the shooters had multiple hits at 1937 and 1990yds with a Steyr SSG-08 in .300WinMag with handloads. Excellent shooting from a great guy! Congrats to Al!

I recently bought my 10YOA daughter a Mossberg MVP in 5.56x45mm. I haven't gotten a scope for it yet, so I topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm I borrowed from a student. I sighted it in at 100yds with 68grn Georgia Arms ammo. Shot OK. I switched to 75grn OTM ammo, also from Georgia Arms, and shot a 3-shot one-holer. Good to go!

Got my daughter on the rifle, which she named Daryl. Once she was warmed up at 100yds, she sttarted banging steel and getting out further, culminating in 3-for-3 on the 800yd steel. Outstanding! At that point, she tapped out and was done for the day. She then laid down on the firing line, beside her rifle and between several shooters (including a .300WinMag with a muzzle brake) and prompetly went to sleep. That's my girl!

The next Rendezvous will probably be in early November at Legion OTG. I hope to see the old shooters back again, as well as a bunch of nnew folks.

Semper Fi!

sfqTJ6K.jpg

lTz9e35.jpg

u4VZp5H.jpg

hayseed_theology

Sounds like a blast! I might try to get in on the next one. That's right up the road from me.

Latest posts