Well, that was dumb!

GAHUNTER60

Many years ago, my hunting buddy and I rode together to our lease on the morning of the first doe day (back when we only got two either sex days in the first season). When we retrieved our rifles from the truck to go to our stands, he let out a series of choice words when he discovered that he had left the magazine to his Remington 742 at home. After offering him my spare rifle to hunt with (an open-sighted Marlin 336C in .35 Rem.), he decided that he would just go to his stand and hunt with his rifle as a single shot. About an hour after daylight, a shot rang out from his direction, and, sure enough, he killed a fat doe.

Just because he was successful that morning didn't keep me from teasing him for the next 15 or so years about his hunt preparation. I would still be teasing him had he not passed away, unexpectedly, about 18 years ago, ironically at his deer camp!

What brings this to mind is what happened a week ago, Friday. I had invited a friend to my present lease in Morgan County. He's very new to the sport and not well outfitted for hunting, so I spent a lot of time loading the SUV with everything either of us would need: two knives, a gallon of wash-up water, hand cleaner, a roll of paper towels, two pull up ropes, Three LED flashlights, a Coleman lantern (for following blood after dark), a receiver hitch luggage carrier to transport our kill -- I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

The last thing I grabbed was my rifle case containing my custom .358 Winchester, Remington Model 600 carbine and a box of .358 Winchester 225-grain handloads. I picked up my buddy at his house in Snellville, and an hour later, we were on the property, getting ready to head to the woods. I was acting like a mother hen making sure he had everything he needed for the afternoon hunt, before sending him to his stand (like I said, he is new to the sport). When I was satisfied that I had him properly squared away, I started unloading my gear from the truck. I unzipped my rifle case, pulled the gun out and laid it on the hood. That's when I did a double take!

Instead of looking at a wood-stocked Model 600, I was looking as a synthetic stocked, bright stainless steel Ruger M-77, Mark II. Then it hit me: my son's Ruger in .260 Rem. was in the same corner of my den in an identical case as my Model 600, and I had grabbed it by mistake. What I didn't have was any .260 ammo! You think my friend 30 years ago let out some choice words, they were nothing compared to the tirade I let out.

Well, when I calmed down, I told my buddy that I would take him to his stand and come back to the truck and wait on him to finish the hunt. But he had another idea: "You know that stand is a two-person stand" he said. "Why don't you sit with me and help me spot deer?" Since I really didn't have anything better to do, I agreed, and 10 minutes later we were side-by-side 16 feet up a ladder stand. As his wife said when he face-timed her right after got settled, we were very romantic looking!

We had not been there ten minutes, when a big doe comes tripping down the trail in front of us. For some reason, though before my buddy could shoot her, she veered into a thicket and disappeared. I felt that there was a good chance that she was being pushed by a buck, due to the fact that she was alone, and was traveling, not feeding. I told my buddy to be ready. I was right!

30 minutes later, a buck comes out, nose down, trailing the doe. A quick glance at it showed that it was a shooter, and I told my buddy to take him. Fortunately, he stopped broadside about 70 yards out, right where the doe made her turn. My buddy was ready and squeezed off the 150-grain Power Point loaded in his .308.

At the report, the deer jumped, and came down on its chest, and pushed, using its hind legs, into the thicket. I could tell that at least one leg was broken, and assumed he wouldn't go far. He didn't. We found him, dead as a hammer, about 30 yards into the thicket. The buck was a 16-inch, nine pointer. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), the bullet had broken both shoulders before stopping under the skin on the off shoulder. There was not one single drop of blood leading to where he died.

Frankly, I really enjoyed being a "guide" for a new hunter as he took his first buck (he killed a doe out of the same stand last season). He was as happy as if the deer was a Booner. But still, I would rather have been in the woods elsewhere trying to make my own magic.

I'm sure that my old friend was looking down from heaven and laughing at me, considering the hard time I gave him for all those years. "Just wait," he's saying. "Just wait 'til you get here. Your are never going to live down the day you showed up to hunt deer with nothing more lethal than a knife. At least my rifle would still shoot, but there was no way you were going to fire .358 ammo from a .260. You know, that was really dumb!"

Oh well, as they say: Karma's a, well, you know!

Josh B

We've all done something dumb at some point. Congrats to your friend and you. It always feels good helping someone out

Jim Boyd

Great story!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
at least you haven't shot the tailgate of your pickup truck checking you rifle sights

GAHUNTER60

at least you haven't shot the tailgate of your pickup truck checking you rifle sights

No, but my uncle shot his dash board one time trying to exit the vehicle to shoot a deer that emerged from the woods on his farm. The 200-grain, .35 caliber bullet went through the dash and lodged in the battery, which promptly drained all its water and acid.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No, but my uncle shot his dash board one time trying to exit the vehicle to shoot a deer that emerged from the woods on his farm. The 200-grain, .35 caliber bullet went through the dash and lodged in the battery, which promptly drained all its water and acid.

how long did it take your Uncle to clean his pants after that? lol that is funny to hear, but I bet it was scary to the people there.

GAHUNTER60

how long did it take your Uncle to clean his pants after that? lol that is funny to hear, but I bet it was scary to the people there.

Fortunately, he was alone in the a Willies Jeep. He had just dropped me off in the woods and was headed back to the house. Funny thing is the deer -- a very large buck for Dawson County -- just stood there, but he was too shaken up to shoot it!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
GAHUNTER60,

I sorta know the exact feeling that you encountered above. I told myself that I shouldn't tell this latest happening of Saturday morning but after reading your story, I can relate to it easily now.

Let me first say that I am probably one of the MOST DETAILED PEOPLE that you will ever encounter and it has been that way throughout my life. However, after not hunting for the past couple of years now, I have been so eager to get back into the woods to hunt that my brain is not working at 100 % efficiency.

Apparently, I am just like all of those "rutting bucks" that are wandering around right now with my nose in the air or on the ground and NOT having a single brain cell at the moment.

Well I got up really early Saturday morning with all of my clothing gear etc for a really cold day to hunt. I hit the road real early to drive up to the country to my property to hunt. I always wait until I get up to certain "store" in the country and then stop in the parking lot (before they even open up) and then put on all my camo pants and heavy camo jacket on over my regular clothes, and then get everything loaded in the right pockets etc so that when I get to my gate, all I have to do is step out of my truck, make sure that I have my hunting cushion, gun and ammunition and then check the wind direction etc and decide which deer stand that I will hunt that morning.

I was in the process of doing all of the above and then realized that I DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE BULLET WITH ME ON THIS TRIP!!!!! NOPE, NOT EVEN A SLING-SHOT EITHER.

I then realized that since I had my truck worked on a few days earlier that I had taken ALL THREE BOXES of ammunition out of my truck and they were still sitting on the counter at home. I ultimately stopped by a Cliatt's Crossing Store in Lincoln County and thankfully, they had just opened up for the day. I went inside with my head hanging low and then saw several of my friends etc sitting around the table in there "shooting the bull". I asked the owner of he sold any ammunition and unfortunately, he didn't, so I turned and asked all of them if they had any 30-30 bullets that I could buy from them. None of them had any but as we talked, one of the would ask EVERY incoming customer that walked in if they possibly had any ammunition that could be bought from them. Well after asking about 6 people, the next one came in and when asked, he said that he might have just what I needed. Well as it turned out, he DID and I asked if I could get just 4 bullets. I tried my best to give him $10 for four of them BUT he would NOT take any money at all but gave them to me and wished me good luck. Kudo's to this fine gentleman for his gift to me as such.

As it turned out, I was able to go hunting and got to my gate while it was still dark outside. I did get to see some nice healthy deer during my morning hunt but did not get to see the "chasing bucks" as I had hoped for.

Now to add insult to injury to this entire happening is the fact that back around a month ago, I had made this same trip and got over half way there and discovered that I had forgotten my rifle and it was still on the kitchen table. I had to turn around and go back home to get it as it was during a weekday and I don't get to hunt those days as such. I am really starting to feel like my late brother of whom I posted some details about recently...because he really could screw-up a one car funeral procession because of his forgetfulness etc.

This RUTTING SEASON really has me all screwed up !!!! :banginghe

I made a promise to myself Saturday morning that if I live to be 100, there will always be some ammunition in my vehicle hidden somewhere. Also, there is a NOTE by the door that says....DON'T FORGET YOUR RIFLE !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

GAHUNTER60

Not to worry; it happens to all of us. About a month ago, I decided to go spotted bass fishing at Lake Lanier. I hooked up the boat, loaded my tackle box, ice chest and connected my Lowrance Elite fish finder/chart machine. Checked my lights, tires and safety chains, and took off for the ramp (about 20 minutes away).

When I got there and backed down the ramp, I noticed that my rods were not in the two upright rod holders attached to my console. I then noticed that they were not in the horizontal rod holders either. In fact, there were no rods anywhere in the boat!!

Then it hit me, I completely forgot to load my rods when I gathered up my tackle. So, back in the truck and back on the road I go. Fortunately, the whole mess up only cost me about an hour of fishing.

Getting old really reeks!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff. I could probably write a book about all the stupid things I've done hunting and fishing over the years.

The biggest buck I've ever seen in my life while hunting stood around 15 yards from my stand eating acorns for fifteen minutes while I was sitting there with an empty muzzleloader, since I had left my shooting bag with my reloads in my buddy's truck and didn't realize it until after he had dropped me and already drove off, and I just shot a doe ten minutes before with the load in the gun.

AllTerrainAngler

It happen to us younger guys too. Don't worry. i used to have a bad habit of clipping my release to a belt loop of my warm pants. Well the day was warm so i broke out my early season clothes. Drive an hour to the property. 30 minute walk in. Get set up in my stand all to realize no release. Fishing story. I was supposed to meet a guy in Savannah to kayak fish. Had all of my tackle and rods ready the night before. Woke up as the butt crack of dawn to get down there. I start checking my mirrors and no kayak....or rods...or tackle. I had left everything in the kitchen.

Bucaramus

My late father in law was loading his gun when he shot a hole through my truck door. Talk about needing clean britches! Another time a guy was putting his gun in the truck and shot out the CV joint in his Toyota.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Woke up later, hurriedly got dress, drove to the property (45 mins) open the rifle case and realized my rifle was at home.facepalm:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Woke up later, hurriedly got dress, drove to the property (45 mins) open the rifle case and realized my rifle was at home.facepalm:
Ouch. That’s a bad morning lol

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Definitely forgot a few things needed.

It’s stories like these that a gun with the right bullets or a bow with arrows in not ever forgotten about.
Without those your spinning your wheels in mud. I could ‘bout hunt naked as long as I got something that will shoot.Check and check and check again. Then after you leave check twice more. Got it now. Always unload 50 yards from road and you won’t shoot the wrong thing. Be more careful with your firearm hunters and remember these stories as you go.

Latest posts