Advice Needed! New rifle doesn't like Ammo

krizia829

I've always loved shooting Hornady Superformance SST's! Although I have a Remington, and not a Browning, they shoot like reloads out of my rifle. You just gotta find the right rounds for it. You can also try to contact Browning directly and ask them what they recommend based on what you're looking for.

delacroix

BANNED
No, there's something wrong with that rig. A Browning should do at 100 with a load it doesn't like what you say it does at 50. Crown or scope/mount issue are two likely culprits.

Browning doesn't have a warranty. So it is worth a little effort to figure it out on your own before gambling on shipping it to them.

So I figured out what the problem was. First thing I tried was different ammo. I cleaned the barrel with some copper solvent and went to my spot to shoot. I had another box of 165 grain Federal Fusions and I picked up a cheap box of Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain interlocks. A friend also gave me 6 -180 grain Core-Lokts. Tried all 3 with the same results. 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I then took an older Leupold VX1 off my wife’s deer rifle and tried it out on my new Browning. The mounts on my new gun we’re fine and everything was tight. The gun grouped great with the VX1. Hard to believe I got a bad Leupold VX-3i from the factory but that seems to be the issue. Thanks for all of the advice y’all.
D3A2175A-894E-4D19-AB8B-6C5125C30EBB.jpeg

Buckstop

Had similar issue with a VX3i last year. After mounting the new scope at the same time as swapping the stock out and bedding the action into a new bell & carlson, groups opened up and wouldn’t hold zero. Spent a lot time chasing the ghost and finally swapped scopes and cured it. Sent it back to Leupold. They said they took it appart and found nothing wrong, but shot just fine when they returned.

pdsniper

I worked on a Sniper rifle recently for another LE agency that I assist with there sniper program and one of their rifles had the same problem it was not shooting 168 gn very well so I tried the 155 gn mach and the problem went away so thats what I would do is try a lighter bullet

killerv

I bought a wheeler torque wrench and have had a couple times where the scope loosened up after adjusting ring screws to the proper specs, I always give them a little extra torque now. So even if you've thought you've done everything correctly, that may not be the case.

So I figured out what the problem was. First thing I tried was different ammo. I cleaned the barrel with some copper solvent and went to my spot to shoot. I had another box of 165 grain Federal Fusions and I picked up a cheap box of Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain interlocks. A friend also gave me 6 -180 grain Core-Lokts. Tried all 3 with the same results. 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I then took an older Leupold VX1 off my wife’s deer rifle and tried it out on my new Browning. The mounts on my new gun we’re fine and everything was tight. The gun grouped great with the VX1. Hard to believe I got a bad Leupold VX-3i from the factory but that seems to be the issue. Thanks for all of the advice y’all.
View attachment 986013

Very happy to hear that you've found the issue. I'm a big fan of the X-Bolt and I have wanted a He**'s Canyon Speed in .300WSM since they came out.

Sorry to hear that that new scope was at fault. I'm also a huge fan of Leupold and own a lot of their scopes. I've only had to use their CS after any purchases for reticle changes, but they are very easy to work with. Ship it off to Beaverton OR, and I'm sure they will take care of you in fast fashion.

Also, if you need a scope while they are taking care of your 3i, I'd be happy to send you a free replacement for it so you can use your rifle now. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a 3-9x40 that came off a Mossberg "package" rifle, unused. I'm glad to do it if it will help you out.