Advice wanted for spring food plots

gantt

I am getting ready for spring food plots, leaning towards white ball clover per the advice of a cousin that manages several food plots on their land. reading online, it seems it will take the clover a year to really get established, and it is generally recommended to plant another crop along with the clover to start feeding the deer this spring/summer.
i am looking at planting three plots, approx. 1 acre, and two 1/2 acre spots.
my cousin said to steer away from beans and peas since the deer eat the sprouts so fast a small plot will not give any long term feeding through the season.
I was thinking about clover, and it part of the plot maybe turnips.

What would be a good crop for middle Georgia? i am in the creek bottoms, soil tends to stay wet or damp, hardly ever dry save for the full blown summer months.
the only equipment i have is a bottom plow, disc harrow, fence drag and brush hog.
what would you folks plant?? looking to feed the deer through the summer, and I'll plant something else come fall.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Low and behold, we have a creek bottom combo!

Cool season seed.JPG

Ball clover is a heavy reseeding annual clover and not a perennial

https://www.pennington.com/all-products/agriculture/resources/clover-selection-guide

Stick with a true perennial white clover, of which there are many out there, however Durana is the most forgiving.

White Clover Establishment.JPG

I suspect a couple other issues you may have is "shade" and "leaf drop" in the fall? Having said that, everything you do will require trial and error, over the next few years, but a perennial white clover might be your best shot.

Look under the "shade and flood" columns, for some additional help.

PH rates.JPG

Canuck5

Sorry, guess you were hoping for information on what to plant for the summer. I would suggest you take this summer to get your food plots prepped for the upcoming fall planting. And what I mean there, is get a soil test done and amend the soil.

A perennial clover with moderate shade "may" feed your deer 10-12 months a year, with little work on your part. Durana is a perennial white clover

Durana Graph.JPG

Canuck5

I gave up planting cowpeas and soybeans, in the summer when 5+ acres would get wiped out. LOL spring/summer food plots are just not part of my vocabulary any more. Others have greater success.

Canuck5

Top 10 summer food plots2.JPGWarm season seed.JPG

gantt

my cousin planted a little over 7 acres of soybeans and cow peas, deer decimated them before they grew past sprouts.
I don't have much of a shade problem, at the most partial shade in the summer months, depending on time of day. land was clear cut about 12 years ago so no tall trees yet, mostly briar brambles that ole Briar Rabbit might not venture into. I am going to take a soil sample the next time i hunt.
so if i planted a perianal clover, i would want to make sure i did not turn that section under for a fall plot? I'm not looking to rewrite the book, or build a Golden Corral for the deer, i am looking for simple tried and true crops.
i see corn on the list, so if you plant corn the deer eat the ears off the stalks? I have not been involved much with food plots before this winter. research is key, and there is so much to learn.

I'll look into this Durana clover

Canuck5

Plant perennial clover in the fall and only after you've gotten your soil ph above 6.0

Corn .... I don't think you have enough acres to work with, plus doing it right is expensive. It requires a lot of fertilizer and turkey and deer, in small plots may not let it mature.

R& D's suggestion of Aeschynomene and milo might be your best option, for thise season. Alyce clover doesn't like wet soils.

https://www.deerassociation.com/american-jointvetch/

ucfireman

I cant help but I'm going to play some this year.
I'm in a creek bottom with decent sun but some shade.
My plan is some sorghum (never done it), black oil sunflower, some iron clay peas (maybe soybeans too) and some sort of summer annual clover or maybe a perennial warm season (either yellow or medium red). Any maybe a millet of some sort. and maybe a stripped sunflower.
I figure it will feed everything. Trying to get the turkeys back, heard a gobbler last year for the 1st time since I've been here.
And just see what happens. I don't do pretty plots as I have trees I have to plant around. Pretty much given up on trying to keeps "weeds" out too. Just plant and then plow under and plant again.
I got plenty of browse, I just do the plots for my entertainment and to put cameras on and to watch during the summer.

shdw633

I prefer Alyce clover with millet or buckwheat. The millet provides cover for the Alyce and dies off after 90 days leaving you with a pretty clover field that will go into the late fall season if you choose, as it only dies off after the first frost hits it. That being said it makes for a great bow foodplot at the beginning of the season and then you can come in around October and plant your fall food plot for your gun season and winter season plots. That being said, if you are not looking to replant in the fall and want to go with an annual clover then listen to what Canuck5 is saying

across the river

small summertime plot, damp area, I would suggest Aeschynomene with a little milo thrown in....works great around here
Did the deer eat it though? Planted some years ago, and while they nibbled at it some they didn’t seem to prefer it over or even as much as other stuff they had to eat. I’ve had people tell me they hammered their buckwheat too, but I had the same experience with it. I guess a lot of it depends on what else they have to earn

R and D

I have planted it in SwGa, Central Alabama and in coastal SC...deer hammered it everywhere but we have lots of deer and not tons of ag around each of these areas