agree or disagree

MudDucker

Staff member
Sounds like there are some people on here who think life is fair. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there isn't a whole of fair anywhere, except one with rides and cotton candy.

Public land hunting in Georgia has at times yielded hunts for me that would make an Arkansas hunter jealous. For instance, when they flooded lake Oconee and left a good bit of standing green timber. Killed many a limit of mallards there for 2 years.

I've been to Rhetts years ago and killed just about every species that flies through Georgia.
I've been on a local private pond and had more ringnecks circling than I could count. I've seen mallards get up out of point of marsh and black the sky in So. Georgia .... once.

I've been on Lake Juliet ... no wait, I ain't and I ain't a gonna. Somethings a sane man just will not do.

It takes a lot of work and a LOT of luck. My last two hunts have been skunk hunts. One in Florida and one in Georgia. However, I am loading up to go again in the morning. It ain't all about the killing for me no more. I like to kill, but I enjoy the sunrises and sunsets and banter in the blind as well.

So no, Feds ain't gonna allow no dump baiting, only planted food. If you ain't got no place, then work harder to earn it. That is the American way.

In a nut shell.

Our fly way ain't the best but it has been going south for many years. The states north of us have had large commercial duck and goose operations that short stop our birds. Warm weather , lots of food means that the ducks don't need to go as far south as they once did. Add to that no one in Georgia farms rice anymore and agriculture near the coast means pine trees. There just ain't nothing here to draw and keep ducks in our area. No one ever pays attention to our geography. North Carolina outer banks and Florida are pretty close to straight line that completely by passing the Georgia coast.
Now add the large amount of uneducated duck hunters and you have a situation where everybody competes for the same very limited resource.
Let me qualify uneducated. There are new hunters the
that have master degrees and they don't know squat about duck and goose hunting.
You go out and work hard , scout and find ducks. Then you go out set up and sleep in your boat. The next morning you have what I call the 6:00 AM crew that come by wide open trying to get to the spot you slept in.
I have folks calling me all the time asking where are the ducks. They think you just show up and the ducks fly to your boat. The weather plays a big big part on the ducks on the salt. The reports I have had are weak. Just like what I see is happening all over. Right now I am deer hunting. When the birds show up so will I and if they don't I will go shot some shot up wood ducks. It is like what MudDucker said you can work hard and still come up short.
Baiting ducks ain't never going to happen. I had a Federal game warden tell me about a case he worked out west where the dropped the bait from an airplane . It took him six years to bust this guide and when he did the guy went to jail for years. Complaining ain't going to make it better. Get in your truck and drive is about the best thing you can do.
Good luck and be safe to you all.

one hogman

So there are limits on ducks right? Enforce the limit and don't worry about baiting. Make it mandatory that each time everyone goes to a public lake to hunt or scout that they must spread 100lbs of feed from point A)ramp to point B)blind. Or local law enforcement spread feed over public lakes minimum of 4 times a month.

There would be feed everywhere, not just in a couple of spots/lakes. We all know that there is some feed being put out somewhere on every public lake of any size currently.

Allow feed and enforce the limit.

Agree or disagree?

You could use that same Logic or lack there of in baiting deer and Turkeys, I ask WHY I can face $5000.00 fine and a year in jail for baiting deer in Hancock cty and 25 miles south of me it is legal!! Makes a lot of sense!!

Lukikus2

Our fly way ain't the best but it has been going south for many years. The states north of us have had large commercial duck and goose operations that short stop our birds. Warm weather , lots of food means that the ducks don't need to go as far south as they once did. Add to that no one in Georgia farms rice anymore and agriculture near the coast means pine trees. There just ain't nothing here to draw and keep ducks in our area. No one ever pays attention to our geography. North Carolina outer banks and Florida are pretty close to straight line that completely by passing the Georgia coast.
Now add the large amount of uneducated duck hunters and you have a situation where everybody competes for the same very limited resource.
Let me qualify uneducated. There are new hunters the
that have master degrees and they don't know squat about duck and goose hunting.
You go out and work hard , scout and find ducks. Then you go out set up and sleep in your boat. The next morning you have what I call the 6:00 AM crew that come by wide open trying to get to the spot you slept in.
I have folks calling me all the time asking where are the ducks. They think you just show up and the ducks fly to your boat. The weather plays a big big part on the ducks on the salt. The reports I have had are weak. Just like what I see is happening all over. Right now I am deer hunting. When the birds show up so will I and if they don't I will go shot some shot up wood ducks. It is like what MudDucker said you can work hard and still come up short.
Baiting ducks ain't never going to happen. I had a Federal game warden tell me about a case he worked out west where the dropped the bait from an airplane . It took him six years to bust this guide and when he did the guy went to jail for years. Complaining ain't going to make it better. Get in your truck and drive is about the best thing you can do.
Good luck and be safe to you all.

You are absolutely correct. The only thing that will bring you ducks is mother nature. When everything is frozen they move south.

I grew up hunting the Wheeler basin. Didn't have the money to hunt the flooded crops at the WMA's so took to the backwaters or private ponds. Ducks were scarce to say the least. WMA's or the refuge flooded lands drew most of the birds. Farmers weren't allowed to flood their fields, that was TVA water. Still po's me to this day. On the upside we found a little piece of state owned property where half the population of woodies roosted. Best shoots eva

spencer12

I think that allowing baiting on public land is a bad idea personally. I am not necessarily for or against baiting on private property, BUT I do think it is very silly to say that it is ok to flood a corn pond, but highly illegal to put corn in a pond..... I know it will never change, but sit down and really think about what the difference is there. $$$ is the only difference.

Bingo, it's not coincidental that flooded corn fields are legal while pouring corn is illegal. Guess which one takes a bit more capital to pull off?

No matter what anyone says, money can buy happiness.:)

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
What duck that goes to any large lake is gonna walk onto the bank and eat corn?

Wood ducks. Never seen em walking around eating pin oaks while you were in the deer stand? Shoot just go to a park and throw some bread or popcorn out. Mallards will walk up and eat it.