Air Movie | Nike | MJ #23

Tight Lines

I took made the family go see the movie Air last night. It was quite good. If you are like me and like the intersection of sports and business, then it's a movie worth seeing. The entire family loved it.

I've always loved Nike since I was mowing yards to buy my first pair. A while back I read the book Shoe Dog which is about Phil Knight and the growth of Nike. It's a must read autobiography if you like business. A friend of mine was the marketing guy that came up with Just Do It and we later worked together at Coca-Cola. His stories were epic.

Having read Shoe Dog, and watched The Last Dance, Air was great. I highly recommend it if you are a fan of MJ, Nike, and sports.

MJ is possibly the greatest competitor to ever step onto any court, field, pitch, ring, you name it...and Phil Knight was a serious entrepreneur and competitor...

The guy that made the deal with MJ, Sonny Vaccaro, went on to basically be the driving force behind NIL which has changed college sports, as the original Air Jordan changed professional sports endorsements along with Rob Strasser.

Yes, there is a lot of collateral damage and some will say it was all negative.

I personally think MJ is the greatest athlete of our lifetimes and was the only reason I ever watched the NBA. That era is no more...

1682786284074.png

Tight Lines

Phil Knight thought they *might* sell $3MM in Air Jordans. Maybe. The first year, they sold $162MM. MJ gets on average $400MM per year on his Nike royalties. The Air Jordan is 40 years old next year...that's a master class in taking risks that you believe in...and believing in yourself...

Tight Lines

Had not planned on seeing it but after reading your op I look forward to seeing it!

Thanks brother!
I thought it was good and worth seeing...I'm a movie guy though...as much as I travel I get to watch most movies on planes...we went to the theater for Air and it was worth it...the kids really liked it which I appreciated...

Madsnooker

I thought it was good and worth seeing...I'm a movie guy though...as much as I travel I get to watch most movies on planes...we went to the theater for Air and it was worth it...the kids really liked it which I appreciated...
My youngest son loves going to the movies so I take him alot. I will take him to see it. I will let you know my thoughts after we see it. Looking forward to it.

Tight Lines

The movie may be good but I can't get past watching anything to do with Nike. I will pass
Nike didn't produce it, and it's about the Nike of old, not the newer version of Nike. I like reading autobiographies of successful CEOs, and Shoe Dog is an epic story about how Phil Knight built Nike. The crowning achievement and turning point was the Air Jordan. I don't have anything Nike branded today, as I moved away from them long ago...similar to The North Face for me...when brands get too big and mainstream, I tend to shift to the more specialized smaller brands. Nike was collateral damage in that respect for me. It's worth seeing, but I also know many won't due to recent Nike behavior. It's set in basically '84 for the most part...