Ak question

trial&error

What is the purpose of this hunk of metal on the side of AK? Others I have seen also have it, but they are riveted in. Also why would someone have possibly replaced the rivits with screws? Am I looking at something questionably not completely legal? Currently the screws prevent a mag from inserting so it is a single shot rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_191946.jpg
    IMG_20201129_191946.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 71

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Hunk of metal on the side of a rifle? I’m assuming it’s not your rifle.

Like ^he^ said. It’s a side rail mount.

wareagle700

Someone probably punched the rivets out to take it off them realized they should have left in in place, so reattached it with screws.

Nimrod71

I think it may have been a scope mount rail. I had an AK several years ago that had the rail on it. The rail mount is and addition to the rifle, you may be able to save it by replacing the screws with shorter ones or cutting those in the rifle off. The mount is a sales feature because they are better because they are more secure than the ones on the action cover.

Wiskey_33

Optic mount as others have pointed out. Why remove it if it's not hurting anything? Might hurt the value if you pull it off and find something underneath you don't like.

Robert28

That’s actually not a bad side mount either. I’ve seen some cheap ones but they one is pretty decent.

trial&error

I found the plate online and they say only for reddit scopes so no funny business was done. I had to take the forward most screw out as it blocked the magazine. It fired semi auto as it should so it's going to the classified section today.

ChidJ

Well most folks already mentioned it but @wareagle700 nailed it on the head. This is what we call a “bubba” job. Those C39V2s come with scope rails riveted in. So either somebody took it upon themselves to fix some bad CA QC or they wanted a rail that worked with an odd mount. Either way, they didn’t rivet it back in as they should’ve. Screws on an AK for anything but affixing buttstocks or pistol grips is a big red flag. Not trying to poo poo on your sale. Just trying to make sure you are tracking what you’ve got

Dub

BubbaSmiffin’ dudes: followers of the code that actual knowledge isn’t required....just access to a Dremel, file, drill press or hammer.

Bobby Bigtime

Like others have offered it is an optics mount and one of the better ones at that. Check out kalinka and they can hook you up with a vast array of optic options those mounts and scopes are stable and can be put off and on without changing zero.