Albany Nursery WMA for turkey?

Huntinfool

Anybody live near or spend time on Albany Nursery? My son got drawn for the second youth turkey hunt. It's a quota of one, so we will have the place to ourselves. But it's a 3 hour drive for us. Anybody know if there are actually birds in the area before we head down tomorrow?

swampstalker

Congrats on the selection! Albany Nursery is down the road a couple miles from Chickasawhatchee WMA, and there are normally birds in the area. Check out my post close to your's on the WMA recently...

Huntinfool

So, in case anyone was curious…
the answer is no.
There are no turkeys at Albany Nursery this year!

There’s a 1300 acre farm across the road and a 1900 acre behind it. We’ve heard one turkey gobble about a half mile away in the property behind.

There is no sign. No tracks. No dusting bowls. Nothing.

I hate it for my man. He had it in his head that a quota hunt is this magical thing where turkeys come running down the road to you.
We may head home after breakfast and hit our club tomorrow. I know there are at least a couple of birds to chase there.

swampstalker

I was afraid of this. Sorry you guys did not get a bird. Good luck on the club land...

Huntinfool

We hightailed it home and got on two birds yesterday morning at our club. Had them at about 25 yards. Was really proud of my man because they were on the neighbor's property and we needed them to come about 5 steps closer to be on ours.

He held off and then a stupid fox decided to cross the road right about the time they were about to step closer.

Needless to say, we had a great hunt. Chased them for 4 hours. Thought we had them several times. But no dice.