Alright, I want to hear about everybody’s go to for buck lures…

mtclev5651

1. What product do you like best?
2. Pre - rut , rut, or what timeframe for putting it out?
3. Best way to put it out.

What has gotten y’all the most attraction from mature bucks?

Thanks and God Bless

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
None, never had success with lures. I have used doe in heat as a stop device. I’ve shot a few does with their nose stuck into a film container with a cotton ball soaked in doe in heat. It was placed in a trail to stop them in a shooting lane.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
1: Acorns
2: When they're falling
3: Burn some boot leather and see where nature put them out.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve killed a few over the years that I’m positive I wouldn’t have seen without it . I’ve tried several different kinds and can’t say that one works better than the others .
I still use some on occasion but will never go in the woods without my grunt tube

wildcats

i mix patience with a dash of luck next to thick stuff near bedding areas.
In the past I tried several scents drags etc....my strategy has changed to trying to be a ghost.
Had an uncle who had great luck with no filter pall-mall cigs. That was back when you didn't need blaze orange. A red flannel jacket in wool and a pack of smokes. Killer combo.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
During the rut:
1: Does
2: When they come in heat
3: Burn some boot leather and find where they're feeding on acorns.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Wonder what lures and camo patterns they used.

IMG_2305.jpeg

GSUQUAD

I don’t shoot does and keep them happy, well fed and safe. Calculated hunts on good entries and winds without over pressuring. I see more mature bucks this way than with any lure. Probably won’t hunt until 10/28 to maximize this effect. Never had a good one come running to a stinky pee rag. I pee in their active scrapes. Who knows, works for me.

I used to be overly ambitious and impatient and tried it all. Patience and calculation on fewer sits has proved productive for me.

I swear there have been days where my resident does will bring a buck right to me, look at me, look at the buck, look back at me as if she is saying “will you please do something about this guy??”

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These days, mega buck hunters mow down the does so as to get the bucks running all over the neighbors place lookin for love. I’ve not encountered too many hunters in the real world who can even grasp the concept of keeping the does happy and alive to bring bucks in.
Or, to produce more bucks next year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Does ain’t fer makin baby bucks. Does is fer meat…….less mouths to feed all that buck muscle and protein pellets.
Big bucks don't come from does. They come from shooting every doe you see and never shooting any of the 10,000 little scrub bucks running around that will all be 100% Booners if they just live to be five years old. It's magic.