Al's countdown to Africa!

Jake Allen

I am excited and proud for you Al!

jerry russell

A fun day with Al today shooting and making a batch of arrows for the PH in Africa (he shoots trad). We are officially now at a fever pitch. We got so excited talking about it we sounded like 5 year old school girls on Christmas eve.

Attachments

• 107_0130.jpg
    107_0130.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 107_0144.jpg
    107_0144.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 329

Al33

A great big thanks to John Abbott who dropped by this morning to loan me a good size duffel bag (with wheels:D) for the trip. My bags were not big enough for my arrow tubes. He also brought me plenty of pictures of the African game showing shot placements for me to study on the way over. I can only hope and pray I do my part and that my arrows fly true. After seeing the results of my shooting the last couple of days I obviously have a lot of room for improvement.:rolleyes:

I also want to thank some others who have offered help with either loaning me gear or a ride to the Airport. Thank You!!!!

Barry Duggan

You'll do just fine Al.

longbowdave1

Have great hunt Al! Can't wait to read your stories and see the pictures when you return home safely. :cool:

RPM

Have a great time, Al!!!
My brother loves it and always seems to have at least one more species he whats to add to his "Dead Animal Room".
He has friends in South Africa.
I know you'll want to go back.
Praying for you to have a great time.

Al33

Well, getting down to the wire now and Jerry keeps taunting me with stories and pic's of some of the game. :bounce: I'm soaking this dad blamed toe as I type. Still can't wear normal shoes, however, I will not be deterred but was sure hoping it would be healed up before the trip.

I have most everything packed and I will come close to maxing out my allowable weights for baggage which is one check bag @44#'s max and a carry on @ 14#'s max.

I just cannot thank everyone enough for all the help, encouraging words and prayers for a safe journey. I am blessed more than I deserve with some really great friends.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was not pleased with my shooting but this morning I got out and flung a few and did much better. These shots were from 15 yards at the big circle and 17 at the dots. Now if I can just keep it together for game time I should have some kill pic's to show when I get back. Regardless, I will be inundating this forum with pic's from the journey and you all know how I like to tell a story so there will likely be some long reads. I plan on taking notes while there so I won't leave out too much.:D

Hate I will not be at the NGTA final shoot of the year and will miss out on the TBG banquet too but know those of you that do attend will have a grand time. God bless you all and good luck with your shooting.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 124

TNGIRL

Take care of yourself...and that toe! I hope you bandage it alot! also...honestly take a fresh tube of Orajel with you, at night after washing/soaking/whatever then once dry, apply a light coat on it and it'll stop throbbing and hurting...course you can use it of a morning as well....matter of fact...take several tubes with you....it will help you get thru the pain if you have any...... have fun....love, Mom....:rofl:

Barry Duggan

I'm sure you will be fine Al. Don't overthink it, just let it happen. After all, this ain't your first rodeo. A shoot and a banquet ain't a bad trade off for a trip to Africa, I'd say. Good luck, my friend.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My dream trip for sure, enjoy yourself Al. I really look forward to a bunch of pics!

SELFBOW

I know you will be wide open all day tomorrow to be at airport at 4 to prepare for your journey so just wanted to say one more time Take care, enjoy every minute, may your arrows fly true and come back w many stories, memories and pictures.....

Jerry good luck as well and enjoy taking a newcomer like Al to the candy store.....

Todd Cook

I wish you fellers the best! There's nothing quite like the feeling right before you leave on such a trip. All the planning about to happen. To me, getting ready to go is a big part of the fun.

Jerry: Have a blast. Al's company is hard to beat.
Al: Same as above. And don't worry about the shooting; you beat most of us quite often:bounce: When the moment comes, just look at the spot and watch the feathers disappear into it. Ya'll take lots of pictures and be safe.

jerry russell

Thanks guys. I always look forward to Africa but having Al along is going to make it very special. Unless he dons a loincloth and joins a tribe, I will bring him home safely. I promise.

Hunting 4 Him

Thanks guys. I always look forward to Africa but having Al along is going to make it very special. Unless he dons a loincloth and joins a tribe, I will bring him home safely. I promise.

A one eyed man in a loin cloth...I bet that is something to get the native tribes talking!

Latest posts