Altamaha River Report - Today

Nimrod71

Well let me start by saying the moon was still shinning when I left the house and I saw the sun come up. I got on the river early this morning expecting a good day of fishing or at least as good as I did Tuesday. I motored up to the Gator Slid and tied up to my favorite willow limb, baited up two rods and cast one into the current the other into the eddy. This approach has worked well for the past three trips. After and hour I finally got a bite.. I fished there another fifteen minutes and decided to head down to the lake an try it.

The river is on the rise and it is about 4 ft. to high for optimum fishing, but a boy likes to play with his toys, so I go fishing. A good fisherman can always catch fish, or at least enough to flavor the grease.

I went to the back of the lake and baited up a 12 ft. pole rigged with slip cork, slip sinker, swivel with leader and #5 Aberdeen hook. The cork just leveled out when it went down and I pulled a bream about 3/4 lb. in. Made me feel good. I fished the west side of the lake for 30 minutes without another bite. So I headed back to where I caught the first bream. I pitched the bite, the cork leveled and then went down. Another nice bream. I figured a pattern the fish were in the swamp, not the river or lake. I eased up the creek into the swamp and pitching around stumps, logs and trees I picked up ten more fish. Well by now it is dinner time and time to head home. My wife said she was cooking pock chops and rice, cabbage with smoked sausage, mac and cheese, butter beans with fried bacon for dinner and that I better not be lake or Barnie would be getting the left overs.

Today proved that old saying a Good Fisherman can always catch fish, and that's why they call it fishing and not catching. I don't care, I had a great time and I can catch fish.

Redbow

Congrats on your catch and being out there on the water right by ones self can often be very rewarding. Sure makes for a nice day anyway, always has for me whether I catch any fish or not..

Latest posts