An interesting night in Reynolds, GA

M Sharpe

I had a rather interesting night in Reynolds, GA last night. I donated a call, for the 3rd year, to the Boss Gobbler Chapter. I worked up there for 7 1/2 years, so I know lots of those fellows. My wife was unable to attend, so I ended up sitting with a young couple and her father and a couple of their family members. The young man promptly asked, "aren't you M Sharpe?". To which I replied "yes". Sometimes you have to be careful how you answer ya know...:bounce: He said I've read a lot of your post over on GON. Mmm...don't know if that's good or bad. But, anyway, we talked about calls, hunting and turkeys and such (Mr. Herb, I gave him one of your cards and suggested he contact you). They were some real nice folks! I also have to pay a compliment to Greg Brown and his staff, for hosting a good banquet...and the cooks!! Man, what a spread! (seafood buffet) I ate a whole school of fish and shrimp, which swam all the way on my 2hr and 45 minute journey home!

I had gotten up after eating and walked over to the trash can for my "after supper dip". There I met a man with the same idea. He introduced himself as Carl Cleveland. We got to talking and our talk, after him seeing two wingbones around my neck that I'd made for my personal use, turned to The Old Masters (Larry Hearn, Parker Whedon and Lovett Williams). MR. Billy Buice's name pops up a time or two. He was good friends with Mr. Larry Hearn. We talked a bit about calls and such. We talk about Neil Cost, and how he use to sell Neil's calls. And from what I understand, he has quite a few of Neil's calls. He then motions to a guy to come over. The guy introduces himself as Eric Hearn, the son of Larry Hearn. Now I sure a lot of you guys probably know these names. I knew them as well, but it sure is different to hear some of those stories first hand! Mr. Cleveland looks at me and asked, "what do ya get for a set like that?". I had a hen bone and a gobbler bone around my neck on two of Del Crow's lanyards. I told him the price. He said, "I'll take 'em". I told him that didn't include the lanyards. He said he wanted the package deal......So, he got it. I left there with out my personal calls around my neck and a memory full of stories about some of the legends of turkey hunting. Makes me wish I'd a spent more time learning about some of these guys back then. You just never know who you're going to find yourself in the company of.

Mark

Last edited:

ol bob

Mark what you just posted is what it would take to have another great Ga. NWTF show a lot of these old guy are gone but they are a good many left if you put 20-30 of the old call makers in a show advertise that thew are going to be there real turkey hunters will show up just to talk to them, You could have it anywhere.

sman

Bet that was cool!

turkeykirk

Good story!

herb mcclure

An Interesting Night in Reynolds, GA. Last Night

Mr. Mark, what a great night you had to share; I am so proud for you. Those men mention, were and are the true legends of their days.

Did I ever tell you about MR. Larry Hearn and his trumpet calling, up om the Appalachian Trail out of Nimberwill Gap going to Springer Mountain.
Yes Sir, he pulled a Black MT. GOBBLER, to him so fast it would make your head swim. The gobbler ran gobbling all the way until, the gun shot. Wanting to know who could call like that; I too ran all the way up to the place where the shot came from and guess who was sitting there admiring the gobbler; none other than Mr. Larry Hearn. 1963 OR 64, I believe.
herb mcclure

M Sharpe

:bounce::bounce:

That's a good story too!! Your name came up a time or two as well!

I'm kind of reminded of the Kenny Chesney song about changing things .....where he says, boy, you better listen, but he didn't and now he wished he had! There is wealth of knowledge about turkey hunting from a lot of you pioneers.... and would just listen. Not talk, but listen!

Your signature line from Leon Johenning pretty much sums it up!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I would have really liked to been there to listen to some of those stories. Sounds like it was a good evening.

ryanwhit

I should a bought that sucker from you in Nashville! Sounds like it must have been a good time Mark.

M Sharpe

I should a bought that sucker from you in Nashville! Sounds like it must have been a good time Mark.

Yeah Ryan, you should have....I'd a probably thrown the lanyard in for free for you!!!:biggrin2:

Well it was a very interesting night in fact in Reynolds. It was very nice meeting you and talking turkey talk with you. ( I think I could talk about it 24-7) Im glad mr. Mark sat with us. I ended up talking to him later the next day n listening to his calls on phone n gonna get one cant wait to get it. it wont make it this season but will be ready for next year. Just wanna say he is really nice guy, and it is neat to me that of all the tables there he ate with us. felt very privileged! come on turkey season...

M Sharpe

Brad, the pleasure was all mine buddy!!!

Hope you have a great and successfull turkey season!!!
Be safe out there!!

Mark

woods-n-water

I know somebody else that took a call of your neck too. Lol. And it will be put to good use this spring also.

M Sharpe

No problem selling them......I know where to get another! They were just calls, no better than any of the others. Just personalized.

M Sharpe

No, not quite like that Tom. Just had on it...this is a bird I killed in Ft. Stewart, 1 3/8 spurs, 10 1/2 inch beard. Made as my personal hunting call.

Don't mind out, you gone get 2 of what MKW done promised ya.....:smash:
:rofl:

icdedturkes

Don't mind out, you gone get 2 of what MKW done promised ya.....:smash:
:rofl:

Dang I knew I was getting another MKW trumpet now that he has the new shop up and running and going strong making trumpets, but never knew I was getting a Sharpe caller as well.. You guys are great.
:banana: