Another “Spud” tale

Hillbilly stalker

The wind was whipping and the temperature was dropping when we rolled down the edge of the overgrown field. There was very little blood and a lot of gut matter a few yards from where the hunter buried his arrow into the buck. He felt like he made a good shot, but it was 40 yards and things aren’t always the way they appear when an arrow has to cover that much airspace.
The buck knew something was up and stood like a statue quartering toward the hunter who sat in a ground blind 40 yards away on the fencerow. He knew it was now or never and decided to take the shot. The arrow appeared to bury in the buck right where one would hope, but the sign at impact left a lot to be desired.
Spud got to work quickly as we evaluated the chewed up clover and grass left behind by the buck. There were a few drops of blood, but it appeared as if the buck was shot right in the food bag. Gut shot deer are not a problem for Spud, but it would have potentially been a tough track for the human eye so they decided to make the safe decision and wait for Spud.
Despite the strong winds Spud went 150 yards in just a couple of minutes and I heard the telltale bawl that meant he was looking at a dead deer.
The shot was textbook. The buck was not gut shot at all, but the broadhead cut the esophagus and that is where the chewed up food had come from. The buck was shot through both lungs, and likely the heart as well. He did not get an exit hole and I’m sure the deer eventually started bleeding well just a little bit further from the site of impact.
We made our way to Spud, snapped a few pics and celebrated a fine buck and quick recovery.
May be an image of deer

We sure look forward to Spuds adventures each week. He’s a good un. Him and Jamie make a great team.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
No offense, this is a crappy follow up to the video thread of spud running down that deer! Share more of those! Awesome pic!!! :cheers:

Hillbilly stalker

No offense, this is a crappy follow up to the video thread of spud running down that deer! Share more of those! Awesome pic!!! :cheers:
Yeah, your right. It’s hard to find a shorter video for people to watch. Here’s a good one that’s over in about 10 minutes. Heckuva track thru a bogg & river.

Last edited:

basshappy

BANNED
All these videos / stories do is reinforce to me when teaching my son;
- the importance of knowing your tools
- the importance of shot placement
- the importance of training
- the importance of restraint
- the importance knowledge

Here's to Spud enjoying an early retirement ;)

Sixes

Is this your dog and videos?

I've watched most of the videos and if that is you, you shoot that pistol very well

Hillbilly stalker

No sir, that a guy covers our county for tracking. That’s a 357 with a laser…. but he’s good with it.

Hillbilly stalker

When the deer fight back !!! Close call for the tracker. Check out the shot placement.

Blackston

The wind was whipping and the temperature was dropping when we rolled down the edge of the overgrown field. There was very little blood and a lot of gut matter a few yards from where the hunter buried his arrow into the buck. He felt like he made a good shot, but it was 40 yards and things aren’t always the way they appear when an arrow has to cover that much airspace.
The buck knew something was up and stood like a statue quartering toward the hunter who sat in a ground blind 40 yards away on the fencerow. He knew it was now or never and decided to take the shot. The arrow appeared to bury in the buck right where one would hope, but the sign at impact left a lot to be desired.
Spud got to work quickly as we evaluated the chewed up clover and grass left behind by the buck. There were a few drops of blood, but it appeared as if the buck was shot right in the food bag. Gut shot deer are not a problem for Spud, but it would have potentially been a tough track for the human eye so they decided to make the safe decision and wait for Spud.
Despite the strong winds Spud went 150 yards in just a couple of minutes and I heard the telltale bawl that meant he was looking at a dead deer.
The shot was textbook. The buck was not gut shot at all, but the broadhead cut the esophagus and that is where the chewed up food had come from. The buck was shot through both lungs, and likely the heart as well. He did not get an exit hole and I’m sure the deer eventually started bleeding well just a little bit further from the site of impact.
We made our way to Spud, snapped a few pics and celebrated a fine buck and quick recovery.
May be an image of deer
We sure look forward to Spuds adventures each week. He’s a good un. Him and Jamie make a great team.
We watching spud !!!!1CF2C228-AA6F-4DA9-A750-44AC7AFF3126.jpeg