Another Boat Registration Question?

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I recently aquired a small little Bass Hunter boat from a friend of mine. It's plastic, square looking, has two seats, run by a trolling motor. I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about.

My good friend gave me the boat. Didn't want a dime for it. It's registered in his name, but when I went to fill out a boater registration application, It states that I need to either send a bill of sale, or the previous owners Boater Registration info to them, so they can change the boat in my name.

My problem is that I have neither. I didn't buy the boat and my friend doesn't have a clue what it is. I figured he could call and find out what his boater reg I.D. is. I haven't been able to get in touch with him this week, and was wondering is this my only option. The boat registration expired in 03.

Tommy

Randy

You can download bill of sale form the web. Just put 1 dollar. They just want proof he does not own it so they know who to send the tax bill to. Course that boat won't require taxes anyway but that's why they want the information. That is the only reason they can and do tax boats because they have a way to track them!

The ID is the number on the boat registration sticker adn the numbers that should be on the boat.

Clark10

Probably a dumb question but if I put a trolling motor on a Canoe do I have to get the Canoe Registered.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
You must have a Georgia Certificate of Boat Registration and a validation decal to legally operate your boat or personal watercraft on public waters in Georgia. The only exceptions are:

Sailboats under 12 feet in length
Canoes, kayaks, rowboats and rubber rafts that have no mechanical propulsion (i.e., are paddled, poled, oared or windblown)
Boats operated exclusively on private ponds or lakes