Anybody have a camper van?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I had a VW Westphalia back in the day. I liked it a lot. As a one man camping vehicle, I don't think it could be improved upon much except that the bed could be more comfortable and I never tried to add shore powered air conditioning.

kayaksteve

My father in law has a ford transit van he outfitted as a camper. Him and his wife are about halfway through their 2nd cross country trip. They’ve been gone for 2 months and are loving it

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Are you thinking class B, or class C?

I'm always doing homework on them. I was going to convert our Ford passenger van to a camper van several years back, but decided a pull behind camper with the van was more suitable for our needs.

One of the hurdles for us was once you made camp, and got setup, with a camper van, B or C, you had to break camp again to run errands, or load up and explore nearby.

With a tow vehicle and separate camper trailer, you still had the tow vehicle accessible for local travel if needed. We used to go to DeSoto State Park in Alabama around the same time each year. Usually saw a fellow with a nice Class C+ camper. It was a GMC truck cab with the Class C body on the back. He would drive and setup, and his wife brought the Mercedes and met him there so they could drive locally. Always seemed overkill to me and they didn't get to enjoy the trip together.

On the plus side, its nice to have everything in one vehicle. One of my suppliers bought a Mercedes based Class C camper and they use it for business travel quite often, avoiding the hotel hassle, and having mobile workspace for work during the week.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Sportsmobile makes a good conversion. If it's just two of you, and you don't need a 4WD conversion, this one would be hard to beat. The 6.8L V10 is a bit thirsty, but has legendary reliability and pulling power. This is a class B with a fixed high top.
img_5122-scaled.jpg

img_5130-scaled.jpg

img_5129-scaled.jpg

Sportsmobile Texas

RustyH

Heres some pics of mine, I love it. I have had 2 pull behind campers and even lived in a 24 foot travel trailer for 18 months. I like the simpleness and stealth of the transit. A travel trailer has more room, but more to drag around too 20220607_195424.jpg20220507_135837.jpg20220507_135922.jpg

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'm liking @RustyH's style. Got his priorities right, fishing poles stored properly. I also like the old school destination sticker wall. Here's ours from a few years back, on the inside back door of our cargo conversion trailer. We use it to camp, kayak, and mountain bike.
image.php