Got my camper built and took it to the woods for the first time this past week.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I finally got my camper put together and I spent a few days in the N.Ga, NC and Tenn. mountains this past weekend. It is built on a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon and got me into some rather remote dispersed camp sites while I was exploring the mountains. Here is a link to my build on the Automotive forum on GON if anyone is interested in what went into the build. https://forum.gon.com/threads/build...ss-my-retirement-exploration-vehicle.1038800/
370592981_10218514322968276_7563959272842273694_n.jpg370494809_10218518193865046_7973025405250126081_n.jpg370522298_10218518192745018_9062667542521501509_n.jpg

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I put about 200 or so miles on FS roads and trails from Friday through yesterday evening, and due to the weather forecasts for thunderstorms I was not excited about camping with all those trees on shallow soil. (Just recently had a camper trailer crushed by a storm blown tree) so I hit the road heading back south a little after sun set yesterday. There are more pictures of the build on the link I posted. Interestingly enough, the navigation that came on the Gladiator would send me down bad excuses for FS roads when I would put in to go from say Blue Ridge to Helen (wanted to check out all the fly fishing shops), most of the route it provided was on rutted out dirt and gravel roads.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Hit some rather rough trails in N. GA. this past weekend to see how it handled on severely degraded trails, well, I was pleasantly surprised. I went down one really degraded trail on Blue Ridge WMA down to Rock Creek and it handled it with no problems. I played around with all the features on the new Rubicon Gladiators and had no problems at all in negotiating some really shot-out sections.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
How was the temperature inside? Good airflow?
With a couple of truck stop "clip on", oscillating 12v powered fans, it was great. They draw nominal power and with the "windows" open and the mosquito screens up I had no issues. One night it got cool enough in there that I turned the fans off and got under a down comforter. Plenty of places up top to clip the fans and with four 12v outlets, I could have placed four fans up top with no problem, but even when it was sultry outside two were more than enough. Over the years of vehicle-based adventures, I have found that truck stops are great places to pick up odds and ends that make your adventure much more enjoyable.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
How was the temperature inside? Good airflow?
During the first week of October, I am heading up to Superior NF, it will be getting below freezing at night up there, or close to it. I will get to see how good the heater works I imagine. The camper claims to be a true "four season" camper being comfortable in temperatures well below freezing so I guess I will find out. I know of one couple who took one up to the Arctic Ocean in February and other than a blizzard/white out shutting down the road one day, they had no issues. The way the camper is designed, condensation is not an issue when you use the right heating sources, and the heater I chose, along with a popular diesel system, both prevent the condensation. I am planning an August/September Arctic Ocean trip and won't have to deal with temperatures that cold, I just want to avoid the mosquitos & black flies that can be a pain, literally and figuratively, up at those latitudes.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Sounds solid. Dont freeze to death

Generator, solar or both?
100ah Lithium Ion with a Redarc BC/DC Charger/Solar Optimizer with a 200w Solar Panel. That is just for the Camper. I have dual 100ah AGM Batteries under the hood for all my "in cab" power needs with a Smart Alternator that can handle the load. Will be putting a 30w Cascadia Solar Panel on the hood to top off the "in cab" auxiliary battery that is connected to my cranking battery with an isolator that disconnects the cranking battery once it reaches 11.6v but can link both batteries together with the push of a button to crank if the cranking battery somehow gets too low.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Sounds solid. Dont freeze to death

Generator, solar or both?
I have the Dickenson 900 propane "fireplace"/heater in the camper, it is made for yachts and is a dual ventilated system that keeps condensation at bay and from what I am told keep it between 60 and 70 degrees in the camper when it is below zero outside on a lower setting to conserve propane. I won't be getting cold inside. I know people who have used it in the Yukon in the wintertime and said it worked very well. The silver item in the first photo is the heater, the "stove pipe" in the second photo is its exhaust and air intake. The second photo is of another Jeep similar to mine getting the camper installed just before I picked mine up and I used it because I do not have a photo on my computer that shows the stove pipe as well. 368052950_755985743205424_4999868065700021527_n.jpg368034268_755610703242928_880060392912029824_n.jpg

Last edited: