Anyone ever build the own mud motor?

mdgmc84

I have been thinking on building my own mud motor recently, mainly just to be able to fish a few lakes that me trolling motor won't push through the weeds in, and was wondering if anyone here has ever built one. I picked up a 3-4hp briggs and stratton mounted on an old old edger this weekend and have a pretty good idea of what i need to do, like i know the prop is reversed from most regular props. My main question is would it be worth it to put a cv joint or universal joint on it right off the engine to so that I can keep the engine more level? or just go the easier route and use a longer tail with no joints? Any recomendation on prop suppliers, im thinking just a two blade since the motor is not real powerful? Im only pushing a 12ft jon boat, and am not worried about going fast, just getting through the weeds.

chadf

Do it !

Its very possible, just gonna be trial and error, r&d !

mdgmc84

Yep, Im rethinking my engine right now though, I have two identical 8hp horizontal shafts that need some part swapping to get one running, so its on hold for a little bit.

1gr8bldr

install a trolling motor prop on a weed eater, LOL, actually wanted to try this with my canoe

mdgmc84

haha, I seen a couple that were pretty crafty, but there is no way it would push my john boat, me and my gear any faster then putting up a sail with no wind blowing would. That little boat is built like a brick.

Latest posts