Anyone know the rules of trapping coyotes in Decatur, Georgia?

Hello,
just wondering what the rules are for trapping coyotes in my area. Been seeing two coyotes running down the creek hunting in the neighborhood. I was reading that they have to be euthanized after trapping. Am I in the clear legally to be trapping them in my neighborhood? My house? Can I relocate the animal or do I have to kill it? Am I able to shoot it; thought there was an ordinance against firing a gun ITP. What is my best approach to avoid the pitchforks? Should I just let it be?

buckpasser

Hello,
just wondering what the rules are for trapping coyotes in my area. Been seeing two coyotes running down the creek hunting in the neighborhood. I was reading that they have to be euthanized after trapping. Am I in the clear legally to be trapping them in my neighborhood? My house? Can I relocate the animal or do I have to kill it? Am I able to shoot it; thought there was an ordinance against firing a gun ITP. What is my best approach to avoid the pitchforks? Should I just let it be?

You need a trappers license to set traps in GA. Coyotes are fair game to trap anytime with no season. They do not have to be dispatched. Like rx burning, don’t do it without a great plan and a clear objective. What would be your reason for trapping them?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Also curious as to your reason to trap them....

Trappin' coyotes is not rocket science, but it ain't something you just buy a couple have a harts at tractor supply and do, either.

It takes a bit of study, and a lot of work.

If your reason is just because "COYOTE!!", then I suggest ignoring them.

If they are a problem such as getting in trash, or getting too bold and familiar then I would say take up a neighborhood collection and hire a guy that does a bunch of it.

If you are looking at trapping coyotes as a possible new hobby, and something you have enough interest in to spend the time and money to learn then you will find folks here that will steer you right and cheer you on.

If you just want them gone, hire it done.

You need a trappers license to set traps in GA. Coyotes are fair game to trap anytime with no season.

I'm reading the laws on this, and it doesn't look like they fall under the trapping license.

License Requirements
All residents age 16 years of age or older must possess a hunting license to hunt coyote, except when hunting on land owned by the hunter or their immediate family (blood or dependent) residing in the same household. Nonresidents must possess a nonresident hunting license.

https://georgiawildlife.com/non-native-and-invasive-species-info

Does this seem correct? New information maybe?

buckpasser

That sounds like a good enough reason to want them gone. Trapping would be a great option. I hope you find a good person nearby. If you do get your license and attempt it yourself, be careful. It can become addictive!

GeorgiaGlockMan

I'm reading the laws on this, and it doesn't look like they fall under the trapping license.

License Requirements
All residents age 16 years of age or older must possess a hunting license to hunt coyote, except when hunting on land owned by the hunter or their immediate family (blood or dependent) residing in the same household. Nonresidents must possess a nonresident hunting license.

https://georgiawildlife.com/non-native-and-invasive-species-info

Does this seem correct? New information maybe?

Coyotes are not a game animal. Anyone can "hunt" them anywhere anytime.

Setting traps...that requires a trapping license.

basshappy

BANNED
I don't mind the yotes in my hood, they are removing the roaming cats by either food chain enforcement or forcing the irresponsible cat owner to step up and get responsible and keep their cat on their property (in their home). (We had a lot of cats roaming until a year ago when more yotes made their presence known, now a lot less cats using my flower gardens as their latrine).

This link may be of use to you;
https://dekalbanimalservices.com/wp...12/DeKalb-County-Animal-Trap-Request-Form.pdf

sportsman94

There was a guy who used to be on this forum before he was banned. Think he went by gawildlife on here, but goes by warrior on trapperman forum where he is still very active. He has a trapping business inside of the perimeter and may be a good one to reach out to.

I don't mind the yotes in my hood, they are removing the roaming cats by either food chain enforcement or forcing the irresponsible cat owner to step up and get responsible and keep their cat on their property (in their home). (We had a lot of cats roaming until a year ago when more yotes made their presence known, now a lot less cats using my flower gardens as their latrine).

This link may be of use to you;
https://dekalbanimalservices.com/wp...12/DeKalb-County-Animal-Trap-Request-Form.pdf

Thank you sir for the link. That's a great link.

Honestly, the only reason I have a cat is for chipmunk control. Past few years, the chipmunks have been burrowing so many dens. Had to replace some sidewalks and fill a ton of holes that were causing the basement to leak. The cat has earned her place in the household.

There was a guy who used to be on this forum before he was banned. Think he went by gawildlife on here, but goes by warrior on trapperman forum where he is still very active. He has a trapping business inside of the perimeter and may be a good one to reach out to.
Awesome. Good to know. Will look over there.

Doug B.

He is one I would not recommend personally. If you do get him to come out I really do hope he would do a good job.

I would recommend canine933 on here though. I can guarantee that he is a man of his word.

2dye4

He is one I would not recommend personally. If you do get him to come out I really do hope he would do a good job.

I would recommend canine933 on here though. I can guarantee that he is a man of his word.
Doug,
I don’t think canine933 will go north and I think he is still having issues with his knees. I need to check on him.

Doug B.

Doug,
I don’t think canine933 will go north and I think he is still having issues with his knees. I need to check on him.
He is still down. I talked to him a few minutes ago. He can't do it right now I don't think, but at least he is very reliable when he is able. And that was my point.

sportsman94

The guy may be totally legit, but he struck me as all hat, and no cattle...

I don’t know him from Adam to know his skills or anything else. From what I’ve seen he seems very opinionated, but I’ve met a few trappers that fit that bill pretty good. Either way, hope the OP finds someone knowledgeable to do the job!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I don’t know him from Adam to know his skills or anything else. From what I’ve seen he seems very opinionated, but I’ve met a few trappers that fit that bill pretty good. Either way, hope the OP finds someone knowledgeable to do the job!

Me too.

I decided to remove my comment, since I had nothing nice to say... ?