Anyone know what this is???

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
So you knew that too huh, Seaweaver. I ain't looked at a lightning rod the same since I found that out.

Jeff Raines

Al
Some cannon balls used were that small,here's a pic of one found in Louisiana,but with your ball being of an oval shape I would say that it was used in some type of grinding process,like coal.
When you have an artifact of iron,don't never,ever,ever use a file on it.I can show you the electrolysis process that will take the rust off

Attachments

• pic142623.jpg
    pic142623.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3,256

polaris30144

This item most likely came out of an old ore crusher. I have seen similar ones where old mines had crushers set up to pound rocks into dust so they could extract the minerals out. They would have a large rotating barrel with a bunch of these inside to pulverize the rocks taken out of the mines. They didn't want perfectly round ones, since odd shapes tended to tumble better. You might check with a mineral museum like the one near Cartersville. I think it's called Wienmans Mineral Museum. Just off 411 heading towards White.

Davis31052

Ain't that one of those thing Joe Dirt carried around in his wagon. Look on the back side and see if there is a peanut embedded in the surface.

Hawkeye

CAnon ball, small like they used in spanish ships for the front canon which was usually a small canon.
It might be worth some $$$$ if it is.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Polaris, you talkin' about a ball mill.

polaris30144

yes, a ball mill used Iron balls to crush rocks. After years of service they looked similar to what is in the picture. Saw some years ago at an old iron mine that had been closed for a long time. Old machinery was strewn all over the woods near the old site. Saw some at an old lime quarry site also.

Just BB

Looks like pig iron to me. I believe they used to drop hot iron in water to cool it and at the same time it would form a ball such as they made lead shot.

R G

Volcano rock?

mickbear

i found one like that metal detecting up near lafayette i was told that it was used in milling or rock crushing as polaris30144 said,one thing about them they will sure make a metal detector sing

you know it could be the uranium that they pack into the middle of bowling balls:eek: :eek: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

greene_dawg

If you think it might be a cannon ball just take it up to Kennesaw Mountain and ask. If they don't know then sureley thay can get you pointed in the right direction...