Anyone still do rat killings anymore?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Jerry Clower had a joke about it, but we used to have them once or twice every year. We would run a water hose down their tunnels and pop them with rat shot when they came out. Those were fun times and would keep them beat back from the corn crib and dog food. Here's the joke for ole time sake.

Toliver

I know some do there are videos on YouTube. They use trained dogs running them down and catching them. Kinda fun to watch.

Lilly001

My wifey used to take her Jack Russell to the neighbors barn to kill rats when they cleaned out her hay room.
That little dog was ferocious to rats.

transfixer

I used to know some not so intelligent seriously intellectually deficient rednecks who would sit around a friday or saturday night drinking a few too many beers , and then decide to go to one of the guys barn and shoot rats from the rafters, using 22's , but not rat shot , no telling how many holes they put in the tin roof of that barn, and no ! I never took part in that , they weren't guys I hung out with , I just did some transmission work for one of them

ol bob

I grew up on a mill village, they had a open garbage dump, we would find a high spot and kill hundreds, with a 22, that was the most fun we had back then.

Lilly001

I grew up on a mill village, they had an open garbage dump, we would find a high spot and kill hundreds, with a 22, that was the most fun we had back then.
Those old open dumps (everyone had one) were great for fun stuff like that.

ASH556

One of my favorite memories of days gone by is I have an uncle who lives out in the sticks. I went up to stay a night or two and deer hunt at his place. He had mouse infestation in his house and we sat in the living room watching Blazing Saddles each with a single shot .22 loaded with rat shot. About every 15-20 min the mice would get brave enough and start to scurry about. Target practice was on!

Ugahunter2013

I had some in my shop. I put out some of the large sticky traps. Caught 2 in separate traps and both chewed their tails off to get out. I ended up catching 1 in a squirrel live trap.

Big7

The Oracle
My Grandmother always had house cats and yard cats. Some of them were fixed Tom Cats.

You might see a few of those tiny mice working a crop field sometimes but they new when they hit yard grass not to come across that or one of them cats would get them for sure.

I didn't know what a "rat" even looked like until I got my work permit and started nights at the Wendy's in Monroe- 45 years ago. :LOL:

Last edited:

Mauser

Very fond memories of my childhood,rat killins at the hog pen. We had a pile of hogs on dirt and them dang things would tunnel everywhere. Papas old bolt action 20ga me and cousin named shoulder buster lol.

Toliver

Started getting a rat killing dog in my video feeds. A Patterdale Terrier. Never heard of them til his videos started popping up. Pretty impressive little pooch.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I remember when I was 3 or 4 years old, my mom walking us down to the open dump below the house, sitting us down, and her throwing some scraps onto the dump. She would shoot the rats that came out to eat the scraps.

crackerdave

Started getting a rat killing dog in my video feeds. A Patterdale Terrier. Never heard of them til his videos started popping up. Pretty impressive little pooch.
Is that the same as a jagdterrier? They are gritty little dogs!

Toliver

That's one I got earlier tonight. Some of them the handler says things I can't link to. This one is clean.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I remember when I was 3 or 4 years old, my mom walking us down to the open dump below the house, sitting us down, and her throwing some scraps onto the dump. She would shoot the rats that came out to eat the scraps.
I wonder how many people even know what you're talking about. I remember it like it was yesterday. We didn't "take trash out" we "took it off" to the dump ever so often in a 55 gallon drum. We would burn our trash in that drum until it was full of just stuff that wouldn't burn and about every 2 weeks to a month haul it to the dump and dump it. Everybody did that. There was always smoldering trash heaps and rats running everywhere. First rat/mouse I ever caught was at the dump. Just walked over and picked it up by it's tail. I must have been around 4-5. My mom freaked out when I brought it over to show it to her and she never went to the dump with me and my father again.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Oh yea. We used to have them regular.

GregoryB.

My Grandpa was a heavy drinker and would shoot rats in the house with a single shot 22. He was deadly with that rifle. It lives in my gun safe now.