Arthritis is Killing Me

K80Shooter

Old thread bumped.... Doc does not want me taking anymore Ibuprofen. Yet it's the only thing that gives me relief. My hip joints hurt something awful., sometimes knees.... and got it bad in my feet. The other many places I can deal with, but I need to be able to get around and be active. Any advice?

Diclofenac

I tried the Diclofenac, for me it didn't help. Ibuprofen taken for a long period of time will harm/destroy your kidneys. It got to where I had to be monitored daily and took high dosages of lasix daily until the kidney Dr could see me, he instantly took me off of the Ibuprofen.

Like Nic say's, I learned to live with it (with daily pain meds) but the pain and stiffness is always there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you get a chance, read up on eating poke berries. People up in the hills have used it forever, they even make a jam out of it so they have a supply all year.
And, it can also mess you up bigtime or kill you if you overdo it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was just reading how certain foods could trigger arthritis inflammation.
They mentioned refined flour, fake sugars, dairy, red meat, MSG, tomatoes, whey protein products, salt, beer, and corn oil.
So, basically, if you quit eating, your arthritis goes away eventually? :)

oldfella1962

So, basically, if you quit eating, your arthritis goes away eventually? :)
It makes sense, but of course further research & testing is needed.
I do know that getting in a head-on collision with an 18-wheeler will get rid of hiccups, but there are problematic side effects to consider. :unsure:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, guess I'm just going to have arthritis.
My hands are starting to get crunk up. I have no desire to suffer from arthritis and starvation at the same time. :)

Last edited:

jbogg

Before I tried the keto/carnivore/low-carb lifestyle I thought it would be unsustainable. I thought there was zero chance that I could successfully give up all grains, like bread, pasta, rice… I had been enjoying those for 60 years. For 99% of mankind‘s existence, we were Hunter gathers, eating mainly meat, and whatever fruits we could find along the way. It’s only been in our very recent history, that we have turned to a more carb centric diet, and only the last 50 years that these highly processed foods have moved to the center of our lifestyle. The results are pretty obvious. Over half the country is prediabetic with metabolic disease. The obesity rate and all the health issues that come with it is unlike anything we’ve ever seen, and various forms of cancer are increasing at an alarming rate.

I would encourage anyone to try a low-carb diet for three months and see what happens. You will likely be able to come off your arthritis meds, blood pressure meds, statins, type two diabetes meds… The benefits are huge. It’s not that difficult. I eat all the bacon, butter, eggs, heavy cream, meat, cheese, certain veggies, and I do allow myself some fresh fruit as well. You’ve got nothing to lose, and a lot to gain.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

And, it can also mess you up bigtime or kill you if you overdo it.
As so can Tylenol, advil or ibuprofen. You cannot be foolish with anything you take. I’ve always heard the old wives tales about it killing you also. There’s a ton of evidence out there now that show that used proper it’s safe and works. Like anything else , there is always a certain amount of the population that is sensitive to it. Don’t bite the seed, swallow it whole or spit it out. It’s been used for hundreds of years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As so can Tylenol, advil or ibuprofen. You cannot be foolish with anything you take. I’ve always heard the old wives tales about it killing you also. There’s a ton of evidence out there now that show that used proper it’s safe and works. Like anything else , there is always a certain amount of the population that is sensitive to it. Don’t bite the seed, swallow it whole or spit it out. It’s been used for hundreds of years.
Anything taken to extremes can harm you, but pokeweed being a potentially deadly toxic plant is not an "old wives tale." It contains several highly toxic glycosides, and there are many well-documented deaths from pokeweed poisoning. You definitely have to know what you're doing and how to prepare it. People up here in the hills have taken kerosene and turpentine internally too for a long time, as well as handling snakes in church, but that doesn't make it a good idea just because people have done it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Before I tried the keto/carnivore/low-carb lifestyle I thought it would be unsustainable. I thought there was zero chance that I could successfully give up all grains, like bread, pasta, rice… I had been enjoying those for 60 years. For 99% of mankind‘s existence, we were Hunter gathers, eating mainly meat, and whatever fruits we could find along the way. It’s only been in our very recent history, that we have turned to a more carb centric diet, and only the last 50 years that these highly processed foods have moved to the center of our lifestyle. The results are pretty obvious. Over half the country is prediabetic with metabolic disease. The obesity rate and all the health issues that come with it is unlike anything we’ve ever seen, and various forms of cancer are increasing at an alarming rate.

I would encourage anyone to try a low-carb diet for three months and see what happens. You will likely be able to come off your arthritis meds, blood pressure meds, statins, type two diabetes meds… The benefits are huge. It’s not that difficult. I eat all the bacon, butter, eggs, heavy cream, meat, cheese, certain veggies, and I do allow myself some fresh fruit as well. You’ve got nothing to lose, and a lot to gain.
I will literally die before I give up taters and bread, because being alive would then suck and just be surviving instead of an enjoyable existence. YMMV.

Hillbilly stalker

Anything taken to extremes can harm you, but pokeweed being a potentially deadly toxic plant is not an "old wives tale." It contains several highly toxic glycosides, and there are many well-documented deaths from pokeweed poisoning. You definitely have to know what you're doing and how to prepare it. People up here in the hills have taken kerosene and turpentine internally too for a long time, as well as handling snakes in church, but that doesn't make it a good idea just because people have done it.
Like I said, there’s plenty of evidence out there that shows it can be taken safely and is very effective if used properly. People been eating Polk sallet forever, same plant. The old wives tale we always heard was “ the berries will kill you”. They never mention dosages to kids so they would just leave them alone most likely. If it works and gives you relief without harm that makes it a good ideal. I trust @Nicodemus to read up on it and make a weighted decision on it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Triggers for gout are red meat, fish, shellfish, anything with yeast (bakers or brewers), some fruits and vegetables because of purines. Had my first attack back in June after a camping trip with my son, lots of those foods were consumed.

Got some fresh cherries and I increased my water intake, 2 days it was gone.

Supposedly it helps flush your system of uric acid, main cause of gout, not sure if it will work for arthritis.

oldfella1962

Drinking kerosine & turpentine? :eek: Wow I can't even imagine why anybody would think that's a good idea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Drinking kerosine & turpentine? :eek: Wow I can't even imagine why anybody would think that's a good idea.
Me either, but it used to be common for "doctorin'" purposes.

jbogg

I will literally die before I give up taters and bread, because being alive would then suck and just be surviving instead of an enjoyable existence. YMMV.
Or you may die because of the taters and bread. We all have different priorities I guess. What would suck for me is being so consumed with arthritic pain resulting in me not being able to climb mountains and do those activities that I love. I feel like giving up some highly processed foods is a small price to pay in order to remain pain-free, and not dependent on as many medications.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Or you may die because of the taters and bread. We all have different priorities I guess. What would suck for me is being so consumed with arthritic pain resulting in me not being able to climb mountains and do those activities that I love. I feel like giving up some highly processed foods is a small price to pay in order to remain pain-free, and not dependent on as many medications.
Except I don't buy into the belief that eating taters and bread causes arthritis, any more than I believe that cow farts cause climate change. Age and wear and tear on your joints over time causes arthritis. We're about the same age, and I climb mountains and eat taters both, and will continue to do both as long as I'm able. And will probably be in more pain and have more arthritis the older I get, regardless of whether or not I eat things that I enjoy or don't.

jbogg

Except I don't buy into the belief that eating taters and bread causes arthritis, any more than I believe that cow farts cause climate change. Age and wear and tear on your joints over time causes arthritis. I climb mountains and eat taters both, and will continue to do both as long as I'm able. And will probably be in more pain and have more arthritis the older I get, regardless of whether or not I eat things that I enjoy or don't.
I don’t think all carbs are created equal. I’m talking more about highly processed carbs. Medical science has proven that sugar causes inflammation, so there’s no belief system required. You’ve already mentioned that your hands are getting arthritic. If altering your diet would allow you to keep tying flies and chasing specs for an extra 10 years, wouldn’t that be worth it? I love taters and bread as much as anybody, but I love being able to remain active in the outdoors even more.

K80Shooter

I remember my Mom & Dad fixing poke salad for dinner when I was a child. I also remember the tales that if not fixed correctly that it would kill you. Myself, I never did eat any and also swore off any leafy green stuff just to make sure.

Till this day I will only eat lettuce on a sandwich occasionally, most time I will remove it. I eat no other green leafy stuff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think all carbs are created equal. I’m talking more about highly processed carbs. Medical science has proven that sugar causes inflammation, so there’s no belief system required. You’ve already mentioned that your hands are getting arthritic. If altering your diet would allow you to keep tying flies and chasing specs for an extra 10 years, wouldn’t that be worth it? I love taters and bread as much as anybody, but I love being able to remain active in the outdoors even more.
My hands are getting arthritic because of using them for a half a century of manual labor and hard work, guitar playing, flintknapping, and such. These hands have spent 56 years working. Taters did not cause my hands to hurt. Work and use and abuse did. That's some hippydippy liberal logic, that if I cut carbs out of my diet, my hands will magically be healed? Bull. Crap. That flies against all reason, and fits right in with all the other liberal logic ruining us today. And, if I had to live for ten years never eating anything I enjoyed eating, I'd just as soon be dead, to be honest with you. I enjoy eating every bit just as much as I enjoy tying flies and chasing (and frying and eating with taters and cornbread) specks. My mama lived for over 90 years and ate taters and bread until the day she died. My 3x great uncle Fed Messer lived 115 years on taters and cornbread and swam the Pigeon River across and back on his 100th birthday, and walked 25 miles to town and back once a month to buy more flour after he was 100. Continue with your hippie leftist diet. Eat more kale. Tofu and hummus and tempe are probably good, too.

jbogg

My hands are getting arthritic because of using them for a half a century of manual labor and hard work, guitar playing, flintknapping, and such. These hands have spent 56 years working. Taters did not cause my hands to hurt. Work and use and abuse did. That's some hippydippy liberal logic, that if I cut carbs out of my diet, my hands will magically be healed? Bull. Crap. That flies against all reason, and fits right in with all the other liberal logic ruining us today. And, if I had to live for ten years never eating anything I enjoyed eating, I'd just as soon be dead, to be honest with you. I enjoy eating every bit just as much as I enjoy tying flies and chasing (and frying and eating with taters and cornbread) specks. My mama lived for over 90 years and ate taters and bread until the day she died. My 3x great uncle Fed Messer lived 115 years on taters and cornbread and swam the Pigeon River across and back on his 100th birthday, and walked 25 miles to town and back once a month to buy more flour after he was 100. Continue with your hippie leftist diet. Eat more kale. Tofu and hummus and tempe are probably good, too.
Hippie, leftist? Honestly, I have no idea how you got to be a moderator. I’ve never seen anybody so argumentative in my life. Your great grand Pappy didn’t swim across the river at 100 years old after eating a bunch of junk processed carbs his entire life. Your precious taters aren’t what I’m talking about. They’re not processed carbs. Keep doing what you’re doing. It’s obviously working for you.

Last edited: