article on hunters getting CWD

sb1010

slow motion

Scary if true. I'm curious though about the wordage in the article. It states the man regularly ate CWD infected meat. Did they test it after the fact? Or did the author misspeak and its from an area where CWD has been found? Can't imagine anyone knowingly consuming infected meat.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Scary if true. I'm curious though about the wordage in the article. It states the man regularly ate CWD infected meat. Did they test it after the fact? Or did the author misspeak and its from an area where CWD has been found? Can't imagine anyone knowingly consuming infected meat.

Good questions.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
The source of this article isn't even a study. There is no statistical analysis (which would note these two cases as being statistically insignificant) to note further correlations between the two, nor is there any other objective method used. The conclusion of the source refers to two cases as a "cluster" LOL. This is just a couple of med school students saying "Hey, look at this neat fact we found!"

That being said, would I eat CWD meat? Not knowingly. Would I have my deer tested if there were CWD in the area? Probably. Is CWD concerning? Absolutely. But I was already at those conclusions before seeing this particular piece of clickbait.

shdw633

I've eaten a lot of deer from Illinois and Michigan and I am perfectly normal....perfectly normal.....perfectly normal.....perfectly normal. :p

earlthegoat2

I've eaten a lot of deer from Illinois and Michigan and I am perfectly normal....perfectly normal.....perfectly normal.....perfectly normal. :p

I have eaten quite a bit of venison from areas in MI under active CWD surveillance. After testing.

Even though CWD is still very much alive and well in the MI deer herds it does seem to be declining.

shdw633

I have eaten quite a bit of venison from areas in MI under active CWD surveillance. After testing.

Even though CWD is still very much alive and well in the MI deer herds it does seem to be declining.
I've seen the CWD testing sites up there around the Cabela's in southern Michigan but have never had the time up there to hunt and get them tested after the hunt before having to get back home so I have just taken my chances. That being said I have never shot an unhealthy looking deer up there.

Bowyer29

Dude was also 72 years old. :huh:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Copy and paste from the CWD thread:

Please be aware of these very irresponsible sensational headlines about a recent case study.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-hunters-die-consuming-cwd-160020393.html

There is still no evidence that CWD is transmissible to humans. All this case study says is that 2 older people died of a spontaneously occurring human prion disease (CJD, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease ) in an area with CWD. They were hunters, but there is no indication that they were consuming CWD positive deer or that CWD was the cause. The news media are making leaping conclusions over what is likely nothing.

Only 4 countries have CWD, and the US has the most. However our incidence of CJD in humans is below average globally and CJD is highest in countries that don't have CWD at all.

ucfireman

The source of this article isn't even a study.
There will never be a study, because you would have to willingly consume or the scientists would have to knowingly give a human CWD meat.
This is not going to happen these days.
Or at least not in the US.

Maybe years ago, remember the syphilis study of blacks in the 30-40s. But not today.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
There will never be a study, because you would have to willingly consume or the scientists would have to knowingly give a human CWD meat.
This is not going to happen these days.
Or at least not in the US.

Maybe years ago, remember the syphilis study of blacks in the 30-40s. But not today.
Giving something that you think is harmful to test participants in order to prove that it is harmful is not the only way to demonstrate correlation.

Jim Boyd

Sounds like you and I may be vying for the same level of normalcy!

splatek

UAEC
Copy and paste from the CWD thread:

Please be aware of these very irresponsible sensational headlines about a recent case study.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-hunters-die-consuming-cwd-160020393.html

There is still no evidence that CWD is transmissible to humans. All this case study says is that 2 older people died of a spontaneously occurring human prion disease (CJD, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease ) in an area with CWD. They were hunters, but there is no indication that they were consuming CWD positive deer or that CWD was the cause. The news media are making leaping conclusions over what is likely nothing.

Only 4 countries have CWD, and the US has the most. However our incidence of CJD in humans is below average globally and CJD is highest in countries that don't have CWD at all.

Yep, this was my take on it: Sensationalism trying to scare people. Probably writers funded by the anti's

HughW2

Clinical Study referenced in article appeared in the April 9, 2024 issue of the American Academy of Neurology Journal (very credible source). However, the authors stated that the two gentlemen regularly ate venison from deer taken from the local herd that was known to have CWD. So no the actual deer that they ate were not individually tested prior to consumption; but very good chance that they did get their CJD from eating these deer. CJD is by no means a common condition. Widespread testing for CWD needs to begin or widespread education of all hunters on how to handle deer that may have CWD (no spinal cord or brain use and proper disposal). Only boned meat of deer enters the State of GA. Thanks to GA DNR for keeping our state herd healthy.

IMG_0363.png

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Giving something that you think is harmful to test participants in order to prove that it is harmful is not the only way to demonstrate correlation.

You mean like the Covid jab?