Australian winter peas

SRShunter

Probably will never plant them again. This was my first very trying them and wasn't to happy with them. Anybody love them ? Wished I could find a fall seed that compares to the draw a iron clay pea has in the spring time

Mackie889

I planted a mix that contains Austrian winter peas. Everything came up and looks great except the peas ... no sign of them. Bad batch or was the seed not added to the mix by mistake?

pic217

Probably will never plant them again. This was my first very trying them and wasn't to happy with them. Anybody love them ? Wished I could find a fall seed that compares to the draw a iron clay pea has in the spring time
Crimson clover.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Are you upset because you don't/didn't see them? Is there a reasonable chance that they were decimated by the deer as soon as they germinated? I put 150 pounds of soybeans in my fall mix and I think I only saw a couple of plants that came up in grass. The deer hammered them and never gave them a chance. Once they are nipped off, the don't regrow.

Iron & Clay cowpeas, on the other hand, when they are nipped off will continue to try to grow. Very seldom have I seen an AWP make it to maturity.

Jim Boyd

Is there a reasonable chance that they were decimated by the deer as soon as they came up?.

Most likely this.

I get good germination of AWP but deer have good eyes.

baddave

i've planted them a few times but probably won't again. seems you have to have just the right circumstances for it to grow good . the one and only time mine came up good it was beautiful .. looked like spinach leaves ,vine-like bushes 3' hi. deer and turkey weren't that attracted to it for whatever reason.. the best food plot ever (for me) is this year w/ feed wheat . amazing

OleRed15

I mixed them in with all my plots this year and they have grown great so far, but the deer aren’t eating them much if any. Probably be my last year planting them and sticking with BFO, brassicas and crimson and maybe some IC peas from now on. And I’ll top dress a perennial clover over the top come Feb or March.