Austrian Winter Peas - good or bad

Fork Horn

Does anyone plant Austrian Winter Peas in the fall? I’ve added them to my other seed but I’m uncertain that deer actually eat them. Peas are supposed to be good for the soil so I might include a bag or two along with the oats I usually plant again this year. Any opinions about the peas for food plots?

mattb78

I think they have high attractiveness but are generally used ineffectively. Many times they are a small part of the mix and when planting them in small plots they can get wiped out before they get established. I have done that in the past and you can see the peas get selectively browsed.

They are a good attractant in my opinion if you can plant enough to avoid being selectively browsed and thus eliminated shortly after germination.

Dean

Planted AWP in a Fall mix many times, even in larger acreage plots my experience is that they get nipped off and wiped out early in growth cycle. Deer eat them no doubt, can't recall ever having a great stand of AWP due to browse pressure, and again that is in a Fall mix.

Fork Horn

Perhaps the ones I’ve planted in prior years were browsed heavily and I’m just assuming that they aren’t growing well. Ive added them to my fall plots for many years but can’t recall seeing them outgrow the other seed. Seems they always grow good the following spring once it warms a bit. Planning on trying them again this year and glad to see some positive comments regarding them.

Triple C

Planted AWP in a Fall mix many times, even in larger acreage plots my experience is that they get nipped off and wiped out early in growth cycle. Deer eat them no doubt, can't recall ever having a great stand of AWP due to browse pressure, and again that is in a Fall mix.
My experience as well. Most premium full blends will have AWP in the mix n deer do wear them out. I personally like them in my fall planting as an early attraction.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Never planted them in the fall. I’ve planted them in July. The deer tore them up.

Jimmypop

I like Lynx peas much better. They have white blossoms and more winter hardy if that's a problem. Google them.

Lilly001

I’ve planted AWPs as a plot enhancer.
I find that MY deer don’t seem to like them as much as the ICPs.
Last year they were what I could get. This year I bought early and I’m going with ICPs.

Latest posts