Back to the Mullet Dinner

Nimrod71

I only like fresh mullet caught and ate the same day. You can't compare fresh caught with store bought. Because of the high oil content of mullet they get gamey very fast. If I can't eat them the day I caught them, I clean them and wash'em extra good and pack them on ice for the next day. If I can't eat them the next day I feed them to my cats or give them away. Old mullet is what gave them a bad name along with being cheap. I remember going to the fish market with my dad and seeing them on sale for 5 cent a pound. Now they are $2.50 a lb. plus the clean bill. Oysters back then were high, $1 a pint and gas we 28 cent for high test.

Stumpsitter

A mullets neck must be broken and bled out immediately after caught. Makes all the difference in the world with the flavor

Dr. Strangelove

I lived in Bradenton, FL for a while. I always loved mullet season, folks would set up smokers alongside the road and sell them smoked and wrapped in newspaper.

watermedic

Smoked Mullet is very good!

Me thinks that I will be making a trip to the coast soon for a cooler full!

Timberman

During my time in Gulf Hammock Fla back in the day one of our responsibilities was to be on fire call on rotating weekends. On that weekend we took an F250 home that had a water tank and the tallest bias ply directional mud tires I’ve ever seen. Being young we would use it as an excuse to ride the hammock woods which ran from Crystal River to Cedar Key. One weekend we was riding and rode up on a gent walking. He had stuck his truck and of course we pulled him out. He said follow me I got something for you. We ended up at the store in Rosewood which he owned. Our payment was a 12 pack and two of the best tasting smoked mullet I ever tasted straight from his homemade vertical smoker he had out back of the store stuffed in a paper bag. I’ve ate mullet many times before and since but those are still in my mind. Good memories...