Backfire 1 MOA Challenge

transfixer

We'll have to agree to disagree. Repetition and training makes you better, which is important. But being an upper echelon shooter, driver, athlete, etc. is something some people have and try as you might most don't.

Just don't sell yourself short , I'll never be a competition level shooter, not sure I could if I had the time, but I can be the best I possibly can be with the equipment I have, I've never shot over 500yds, I'd love to at some point ! but haven't had the chance, but years ago when I was shooting regularly I could put 5 shots in a 4.5in group with my mdl700 .308 and my handloads . my best group at 300 yds was 1 1/4 inches,

and a couple years before that I never thought I could do that !

earlthegoat2

A lot of the higher end setups are more inherently accurate than standard mustard from Kmart. That doesn’t mean it will shoot better for any individual.

However, some if not most, higher end setups have some form of built in user friendliness to make it easier for anyone to shoot better. Even if it is only by just a bit. Fully adjustable chassis rigs, lighter and crisper triggers, clearer scopes, etc.

This IS how someone can buy their way to better shooting. Form and technique and trigger time will help out more in the long run though.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
For most of my life I`ve shot a single shot rifle, and that makes me realize the importance of a well placed shot. Yea, I miss ever once in a while, but I generally do alright.

transfixer

For most of my life I`ve shot a single shot rifle, and that makes me realize the importance of a well placed shot. Yea, I miss ever once in a while, but I generally do alright.

My bucket list rifle is a Shiloh Sharps , one of the 45-110's if I can afford one when I get to that point, if not I'll settle for a 45-70, if I stumble upon one of the modern single shots such as you have I'll gladly pick it up though, a single shot is one rifle I've never owned

transfixer

A lot of the higher end setups are more inherently accurate than standard mustard from Kmart. That doesn’t mean it will shoot better for any individual.

However, some if not most, higher end setups have some form of built in user friendliness to make it easier for anyone to shoot better. Even if it is only by just a bit. Fully adjustable chassis rigs, lighter and crisper triggers, clearer scopes, etc.

This IS how someone can buy their way to better shooting. Form and technique and trigger time will help out more in the long run though.

I plan on buying one of the MDT chassis stocks for my .308 in the near future, it has a HS Precision stock that it came with from the factory, and while it is a good stock, it has never fit me to my liking , and I've never changed from the factory trigger the rifle came with, it breaks very clean, and I did adjust it not long after I bought the rifle, but one of the newer adjustable triggers would probably be a bit better , I might go that route as well, depending on whether I still am able to shoot like I used to ?

slow motion

And to top it off, they can't judge distance. That awesome 150 yard shot they made on that buck was actually a 50 yard shot.
Im definitely not a good judge of distance. Especially across open terrain such as a field or across a canyon. Hopefully i can tell the difference between 50 and 150. Archery will help some with that though.

furtaker

Im definitely not a good judge of distance. Especially across open terrain such as a field or across a canyon. Hopefully i can tell the difference between 50 and 150. Archery will help some with that though.
I was talking with a guy I used to hunt with one time and he said the deer he shot was "about as far as that car right there... about 75 yards" and that car was about 30 yards away max. I've heard one or two more similar but that particular one stuck with me...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Shot this one today, with a rifle I know very well.

Nothing fancy, just a 90's Remington 700 LTR .308. It's as issued, no modifications at all.

I had put a new scope on it, and it needed sighting in. Nothing fancy here either, just a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 in Leupold Backcountry one piece rings.

My backyard range ain't nothing to write home about neither, just an old picnic table.

IMG_20240506_172954470.jpg

100 yards downrange into the afternoon sun wasn't ideal...

IMG_20240506_173014610_HDR.jpg

I don't own no calipers, but I think I got pretty close to MOA...

IMG_20240506_172806644.jpg

But, but RR, that's six rounds on the target...

Yeah, I blew the fourth shot high. I knew it when I did it.

But you can't quit.

Just settle down, get your mind right and complete the task with two more shots done correctly.

I'll take it.

In the 56 years I have been deer hunting the vast majority of deer I have shot were well within 100 yards, most probably within 50 yards.
Same experience (40 years in north Georgia) but now I have a place in SWGA where I'm on peanut and corn fields with A LOT more real estate to cover. Will be spending some $ on shooting leading up to gun season this year.