Baiting turkeys

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The irony of the sheer number of shooters who run feeders for wild animals yet roll up their automobile windows at intersections where fellow humans are asking and begging for food is not lost ...

How do you know this? Do you have any facts to prove this, or are you just guessing?

You`re painting with a real big brush.

Browning Slayer,
Nice picture. Great to see poults. But........ I see 5 poults with 2 hens. 2 about a week or two older than the other 3. Each probably laid 8-12. Puts the survial at ( if we use 8 each) at about 31.25%. Use average of 10 and your down to 25%, 12 and your down to just under 22%. Not great. That is a recruitment rate of 2.5 poults per hen. Experts say that we need recruitment rate of 2 poults per hen to just sustain populations.
You may have the best management practices available, and do everything right. But, if you lose just 1 of those (highly probable) and you are only sustaining and not growing. That aside, if those young birds at 3-4 months old get into a 100 lb pile of corn on your neighbors land that has been thrown on the ground and left. Because that guy knows how good your place is and he wants to draw off you and take advantage of your hard work. (I know this to be true because I will be able to show you no less than 10 corn piles and stands within 100 feet of my 4 miles of property lines come Sept.. Deer can gobble up 100 lbs in a 2-3 days, but not likely in Aug, Sept. when natural browse are still going strong). And in 3-5 days it grows a harmful amount of toxin (possibly deadly in 7-10 days) and you lose only 1 poult, you are at break even. More than that and you are at a net loss.

If you had 7-8 poults in that picture, at this stage of their lives, I'd say you were doing well.
I'll attach a 40 year graph of poult recruitment provided by SCDNR web site
Could be coincidence could point to something.

Attachments

• Turkeygraph2022.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
Some may think that I'm writing some of this because there is rumor that SC will drop back to 2 birds, shorter season, later season start, and that I dont like it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I would support all these. Not so much support for no afternoon hunting for all or part of season.
With that said, in my opinion, the only real talking point there is the later start date under the theory of not interupting optimal breeding/ nest initation season. All the other points are aimed directly gobbler harvest. Though harvest reduction could / would have some impact, my concern is that I am not seeing the hens around to take advantage of that optimal breeding/ nest initiation. Though a few may take liberties on it,or make a mistake every once in a while, we are not harvesting hens. I am careful to not use the word killing, because we may be doing that. Increasing gobbler numbers will not matter if we don't have hens. It is a biological fact that any population cannot sustain without enough females. Even if we drop gobbler harvest by 50% but have no ladies for those fellows, we are screwed. And before it comes up, I know about pecking order and bredding among dominant animals. But push comes to shove and she will breed with what is available. They are genetically wired to do that. Most animals are.

lampern

As part of the meeting, SCDNR will present available data, and receive comments and questions from hunters. This input from the public, combined with harvest data, brood survey data and university research findings will be used to develop recommendations for the S.C. General Assembly for possible legislative changes to seasons, bag limits and/or methods of take for wild turkeys. Any potential changes would occur no sooner than the 2024 legislative session and would not go into effect until the spring of 2025 at the earliest.

Best thing the SCDNR could propose to the legislature is to outlaw baiting of all wildlife but they won't.

Best thing the SCDNR could propose to the legislature is to outlaw baiting of all wildlife but they won't.
You are right they will not propose. Maybe suggest. And definitely won’t push. I attended one of these meetings. Interesting, but also full of it.
Not sure how aware you are of our regulations, but they made illegal natural deer urine on the one in probably ten million chance it could contain CWD. Yet they won’t move to stop one of the top ways of spreading it.
Also, when asked how soon after breeding that a hen could lay a fertilized egg, his response was “right then, and went in to try to convince us that when you see a hen get bred and she walks off, she’s going to lay immediately, as in within minutes. He’s a biologist but does not know that chickens, turkeys, etc. ovulate approximately every 26 hrs, egg is fertilized from stored sperm in sperm storage tubes(SSTs) and then takes another 26-36 hrs to develop into a hard shelled egg and be laid. And she may actually breed days prior to start of ovulation. He expected us to believe that the gobbler left a little something on a hard shelled egg and BINGO it’s a viable egg. Not sure if he thought we were just ignorant or he just didn’t know.
Definite did not gain any confidence

Also said they would propose nothing unless asked, because they want to finish a study that they have 2 years left to do. When asked about aflatoxin “ there are no studies show it to be detrimental to wild turkeys”. When offered the 20 yr old data that NWTF and all the southern states DNR’s paid for ( and he should have) he changed the subject.

buckpasser

@SC turkey guy

I’m waiting on toxin studies as I feel there is a real issue concerning corn on the ground and then in the diet of turkeys.

As for the delayed season dates, I think they are based on an unfounded and so far unproven theory. TN and GA are two exhibits of this being a flop. I’m all about more and better hunter opportunity, just not doing something for the sake of doing something. Thoughts?

Buckpasser,
Scroll up to next page where I have attached a study from 2000. If you would like more info I have dug up a lot and still digging. I can post here or PM and send to you

buckpasser

Buckpasser,
Scroll up to next page where I have attached a study from 2000. If you would like more info I have dug up a lot and still digging. I can post here or PM and send to you

I scrolled up. Nice info! I’ve heard enough from biologists (mostly on the turkey science podcasts) that I’m pretty dug in on the feeding topic, so no need for more info for me.

billy336

Stopped putting out cracked corn and started with wheat and milo instead. Numbers were down, now they’ve really made a rebound. These are Osceolas, not Easterns, but I doubt subspecies matters
Much.

Gaswamp

The takeaway is simple: supplemental feed is BAD for turkeys.

The biologist were slow to allow deer baiting for decades, because they knew the unintended consequences outweighed the perceived benefits. Looks like the biologists were correct.
I think if it had been left to the biologist and scientist baiting wud not having been made legal for hunting deer

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Just use crickets...