Baltimore bridge collapse

earlthegoat2

Article I read said it happened just 7 min before the scheduled train passed by. 47 dead over 100 injured, a sad story.

2 extended family members of mine died in that crash. I was only 10 back then.

Horrible. The older I get, I find my self getting a little antsy crossing any bridge. Is it possible for one to collapse suddenly? Is it possible for the Titanic to sink? And I won't even step out on one of those cantilevered balconies in a hotel room.

Do a YT search for "failing american infrastructure" notably bridges and dams are not being maintained or replaced very well. Its been going on for decades now.

Watch a few vids on dams collapsing. Pretty freaky stuff.

Im not going to let it affect me though. I cut a tree off a car in front of my house this year. The car was in just the right place moving just the right speed and a gust of wind occuring at just the right moment toppled my neighbors tree over directly on top of this car.

The man driving unfortunately did not make it.

Sometimes bad things just happen. Cant let it rule your life though.

westcobbdog

2 extended family members of mine died in that crash. I was only 10 back then.

Do a YT search for "failing american infrastructure" notably bridges and dams are not being maintained or replaced very well. Its been going on for decades now.

Watch a few vids on dams collapsing. Pretty freaky stuff.

Im not going to let it affect me though. I cut a tree off a car in front of my house this year. The car was in just the right place moving just the right speed and a gust of wind occuring at just the right moment toppled my neighbors tree over directly on top of this car.

The man driving unfortunately did not make it.

Sometimes bad things just happen. Cant let it rule your life though.
Sorry you lost family in that tragedy.
Agree on the failing bridges among other things. Makes me puke the feds fly in illegals or give our enemies monies and screw us the citizen taxpayer on long overdue infrastructure maintenance.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
As someone who has been in the Tampa Bay area his whole life, I vividly remember the morning the Skyway bridge came down.

The replacement bridge that was built is armor plated. Huge piles of rocks surrounding the main supports near the shipping channel. The next several columns back are surrounded by huge concrete dolphins. It would be extremely difficult for a ship to knock this new bridge down!

The support that was hit in Baltimore had no such protection????????

westcobbdog

As someone who has been in the Tampa Bay area his whole life, I vividly remember the morning the Skyway bridge came down.

The replacement bridge that was built is armor plated. Huge piles of rocks surrounding the main supports near the shipping channel. The next several columns back are surrounded by huge concrete dolphins. It would be extremely difficult for a ship to knock this new bridge down!

The support that was hit in Baltimore had no such protection????????
Think I saw where each big piling has a 2 acre rock barrier around it to prevent collision.

buckmanmike

If the cargo ship communicated it was without power, and they stopped vehicle traffic, why didn't they get the workers off the bridge.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
If the cargo ship communicated it was without power, and they stopped vehicle traffic, why didn't they get the workers off the bridge.
No Hablar

oldfella1962

That was horrible. I can't fathom being one of the people driving across there at the moment. Imagine if that had happened at rush hour.
True! The saying "it could have been worse" really applies to this situation! :cry:

specialk

They just said barge owners could be held responsible to rebuild $$$. Not confirmed yet though.

riddle me this...shouldn't a company that runs a cargo ship be required to carry some type of liability insurance?....i gotta carry it on my car.....president dementia has said the feds will pay for it all.....

GeorgiaBob

riddle me this...shouldn't a company that runs a cargo ship be required to carry some type of liability insurance?....i gotta carry it on my car.....president dementia has said the feds will pay for it all.....

All marine common carriers (the ships) are required to carry extensive liability insurance in order to operate in US waters. The owners, agents, and operators of all commercial marine vessels operating in US waters are also required to carry both liability insurance and other named coverages. For a foreign flagged vessel like the M/V Dali (111,000 gross tons, 984 feet long, carry load of up to 5,000 container units) the amount of liability insurance carried by the ship, the owners, the registered agent, and the operator likely exceeds a billion dollars.

The problems are, the insurers are going to fight tooth and nail to avoid liability, while everyone involved will be pointing fingers at everyone else. Even resolving in court that the bridge fell down because the M/V Dali hit it may take years! I read somewhere that the ownership group (out of Singapore where the ship is flagged as the registered home port) has already filed papers intending to limit it's liability.

I am pretty sure that the idiot remarks, by the demented criminal Resident in the White House, will be used in court at some future date by more than one insurance company as they fight to avoid paying the bills!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
All marine common carriers (the ships) are required to carry extensive liability insurance in order to operate in US waters. The owners, agents, and operators of all commercial marine vessels operating in US waters are also required to carry both liability insurance and other named coverages. For a foreign flagged vessel like the M/V Dali (111,000 gross tons, 984 feet long, carry load of up to 5,000 container units) the amount of liability insurance carried by the ship, the owners, the registered agent, and the operator likely exceeds a billion dollars.

The problems are, the insurers are going to fight tooth and nail to avoid liability, while everyone involved will be pointing fingers at everyone else. Even resolving in court that the bridge fell down because the M/V Dali hit it may take years! I read somewhere that the ownership group (out of Singapore where the ship is flagged as the registered home port) has already filed papers intending to limit it's liability.

I am pretty sure that the idiot remarks, by the demented criminal Resident in the White House, will be used in court at some future date by more than one insurance company as they fight to avoid paying the bills!
It will take a 1-2 years for the NTSB final report. Once that’s written it will take a very talented team to avoid liability. It can get muddy when there contributing factors. IE, ship losing power due to contaminated fuel is root cause, contributing factor state didn’t maintain bridge properly. This was a critical fracture bridge, no redundancy. One critical structure failure and it comes down.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

Yes, that's likely how it will go down and it will take years. All the stalling will really just be a negotiation of the dozen or more insurance and reinsurance carriers with the government to determine how much each of them will end up paying based on liability and what the value of the bridge was.

The bridge will already be rebuilt before the final check is written by the insurance companies to repay the government and it sure won't be replacement cost.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The NTSB works entirely independently. They don’t care if it’s a government entity at fault. They’ve thrown the regulatory agencies under the bus a bunch of times. They don’t get involved with the settlement but their report is referenced in liability cases as it’s a public document.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Where’s this bridge located?
Where’s Biden from?
That’s why it’s getting rebuilt by federal funding

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I think about this every time I cross the bridge between East Point and Apalachicola, and the bridge between East Point and St George Island.
That bridge over the St. Johns in Palatka made my feet itch when I was little! :LOL:

Latest posts