Bank fishing in Cherokee County?

spike22

I have been fishing for about 2 years now and have been trying (unsuccessfully) to find quality places to bank fish and I am just getting really fed up. I have no access to watercraft at this point. I live near Lake Allatoona off Bells Ferry Rd. All of the parks and boat ramp areas that I can get to seem to be over fished or not good for bank fishing at all. I have been skunked my last 3 trips out (probably due to operator error but we'll blame the fish for my pride's sake). I have been to Payne campground off of Kellogg Creek and Fields Landing so far this year.
Any help or knowledge that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. (I searched and couldn't find anything on this subject but I may have missed it. Please forgive me if I am asked the same thing for the millionth time.)

Tmpr111

Try lake Acworth and it’s accessible areas, ask for permission at apartment ponds. The River walking locations/ parks.... just a few examples of what I’ve done in the past.

Josh B

I grew up fishing little river. We would go at night and fish under the light at little river boat ramp. We would always catch 7 bass or so. Using zoom june bug worms texas rigged. Just keep casting.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Olde Rope Mill Park, it's the upper end of Little River above #575. Just be careful on the rocks..they roll.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
galts ferry....just past kellogg on your right.

THen go to the boat ramps(all of them) on the Northern end off sr 20. Fish ALL the boat ramps. Dont forget top water stuff you can throw a mile!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Agree with fishing the shoreline......throw the top water along the banks as close as you can!

Richf7

Your experience is identical to mine. I’ve caught a few bass at Field’s Landing and a couple at Red Top. Zero luck catching crappie or bream. Don’t like fishing for catfish. I moved to the area a few years ago and became discouraged with Allatoona. I don’t have a boat either. It’s probably a must.

The white bass are moving up the river now to spawn...been to Rope Mill Park about ten times and have caught about a dozen on spinners, jigs, and a jointed Rapala. Tied into either a nice size hybrid or a small striped once but he broke off before I landed him. I’ve seen a number of people with stringers full of WB. They’ve been fishing there for years and are much more knowledgeable than me.

I enjoy spinfishing the Hooch for trout a lot more but due to the heavy rainfall over the past few months that’s been impossible. There are other rivers further north from Cherokee County.

Good luck!

mattuga

Banned
I know you were explicit in saying "no access to watercraft" but wanted to point out that a kayak is such a good option for those without a boat. You can get a good used one for reasonable $ and they will last forever. I'm casually in the market for one and will send you stuff I find via PM if you are interested, I research my buys a lot to get best bang for $$. Richf7 gave good advice, trout are a great shore/wading option with great % of success. If I am shore fishing I like to have a couple lines out with bait and have a rod to fish when I see action or to fill in time. Also, if you can fish at night investing in a night light attractant can be worth it. They are cheap on Amazon, I have yet to use mine but will this summer. I'm a small pond guy and the big lakes still win most of the time but I feel I am catching up. Get a good bait bucket and cast net from what I've seen the successful guys do on Allatoona. We are looking to move close to the lake, you are lucky to have such easy close access.

I can’t help with Cherokee County but I would recommend signing up for GA DNR trout stocking report weekly. They specifically target areas with good public fishing bank access. For instance, I got Fridays report and saw that they had stocked Watermill Creek in Haralson County. Never been but went Saturday and bank fished.13C53749-BD38-45A0-8699-2C676725B1AB.jpegE862B9B8-FF19-46EE-9364-5040F13439DE.jpeg903B996B-DE73-4C34-B635-C782E230C524.jpeg