Bart Ehrman

1gr8bldr

You have the wrong idea about Bart. 24 lectures and he did not in the least show any personal beliefs. As a matter of fact, while looking through the courses that he teaches while helping my son, who attends Chapel hill, decide what classes he will take, we saw where Bart gives an optional last day discourse on what he himself believes. He goes through the entire semester teaching about the Nt, and never reveals his personal beliefs. You know that these students are dying to know what it is that he believes yet his teaching does not reflect his own. And it is optional on the last day. I respect this very much

1gr8bldr

The type of thing that I do disagree with is like the assumption that the Corinthian church has a "man with his fathers wife". This is only a phrase, similar to if I used the term "red herring".

Huntinfool

You have the wrong idea about Bart.

Whether I do or not, he needs to be aware that his "work" is consistently used by athiesm as supporting "evidence" by an "insider". He seems to be pretty much ok with that...borderline supportive...and that bothers me.

1gr8bldr

After going through 2 times now, I would say that I agree with 95% of what he says.
Change that to 85%. Some things Bart assumes to much based on to little.

Greaserbilly

I am reading "Misquoting Jesus". Riveting stuff.

Bought the book in the Cathedral bookstore, and it's not shaken any faith I had. It has led me to simplify greatly what my faith is, which is what I personally think Jesus had in mind.

Greaserbilly

In what way?

Jesus distilled his faith down to some very simple and unambiguous principles.

"Do unto others as you would (in their position) have them do unto you".
"Love God, appreciate what you have and pay it forward"

He shook his head at people arguing over exactly how to tithe mint, rue and herbs. Or went looking and arguing over the letter of the law, losing the forest for the trees.

Greaserbilly

No, just saying that I was never one, as an Episcopal, to ascribe to the whole "The King James Bible is THE inerrant Word of God" nonsense.

Huntinfool

We probably do overcomplicate the Bible. I hope, though, that you don't see the Bible as complicating your faith.

How does the church you attend "read the Bible"?

Greaserbilly

We probably do overcomplicate the Bible. I hope, though, that you don't see the Bible as complicating your faith.

How does the church you attend "read the Bible"?

Seriously, but not literally.
Seriously enough to encourage, even to the degree of teaching the congregation Greek should it want to learn to really understand what's there.

In the words of the Anglican communion, everything necessary for salvation is in the Bible. But it does not require anyone to believe, nor does it, that the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of God. The Bible itself makes no such claim. It is not the Qu'ran.