Bathtub redo

ucfireman

So I'm thinking of redoing my fathers bathtub/shower. He has a 1 piece fiberglass tub with a normal shower head. Its a 3 handle shower valve.
I like the "westshore" one day remodel idea but not the price. They commercial advertise 99/month and small print shows a price of 18999. I have not had a "quote" done.
It looks pretty straight forward, cut the tub out, install bracing for grab bars etc, 1 pcs pan and fiberglass walls. And then a shower valve and head.

Has anyone done this before in a house with 1 shower and 2 folks living there. Don't want a 3-4 day remodel and not be able to shower. Although I could accommodate that.
I just want a new low step pan with 2-3 grab bars (maybe a seat) and some none slip on the floor. Probably stick with a shower curtain incase of a fall.
Would really like a 3 handle valve if I can get one and a rainfall head/handheld sprayer for washing the dog.

Anyone know a plumber or "remodeler" that does this? I would rather deal with a local small business owner than a larger corporation.
Snellville area.

If you have done it about what were your costs?

paulito

I'll be following as i am looking to do the same. We have two showers though so can shut one down for a bit. I "think" i could handle it myself but........between my day job and the fire deparment job, i ain't got a ton of time

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
So I'm thinking of redoing my fathers bathtub/shower. He has a 1 piece fiberglass tub with a normal shower head. Its a 3 handle shower valve.
I like the "westshore" one day remodel idea but not the price. They commercial advertise 99/month and small print shows a price of 18999. I have not had a "quote" done.
It looks pretty straight forward, cut the tub out, install bracing for grab bars etc, 1 pcs pan and fiberglass walls. And then a shower valve and head.

Has anyone done this before in a house with 1 shower and 2 folks living there. Don't want a 3-4 day remodel and not be able to shower. Although I could accommodate that.
I just want a new low step pan with 2-3 grab bars (maybe a seat) and some none slip on the floor. Probably stick with a shower curtain incase of a fall.
Would really like a 3 handle valve if I can get one and a rainfall head/handheld sprayer for washing the dog.

Anyone know a plumber or "remodeler" that does this? I would rather deal with a local small business owner than a larger corporation.
Snellville area.

If you have done it about what were your costs?
If You did some preliminary measurements for the walls and bottom, you could do it in a day.
If you can put cutoffs to the shower then the water would only be off for and hour..Contract with a local cultured marble company to cut the 3 sides and make the bottom. Get a price for installation vs just the delivered material.Then on Instaallation day you might have to adjust to fit the wall,install new faucet,drain ,curb,if you decide to I install yourself.

Last edited:

Lukikus2

I would personally install a pressure balancing shower valve and add a diverter for a separate hand held. Converting from tub to shower you would need to move the drain to the center of the shower unless you use a pre-sloped base to divert water to the tub drain.

buckmanmike

We had Westshore do a tub replacement and a shower replacement. The installers did good work except for scratching the bedroom door. I cant remember the price but it was no where near $18.9k for both. Cash price.
Who ever you get, make sure it has a strong floor. If it flexes, it will crack and leak.

Lukikus2

Surrounds are nice and can be installed in one day after demo and plumbing. A day of caulk drying time should be added. I would recommend having the surround on hand and unboxed for signs of damage before proceeding with the remodel. Nothing is worse than waiting another 16 weeks plus for the manufacturer to replace the damaged one.

bany

I was tearing out old units and building tile showers “old school” in around 7 days working by myself.
If you sourced a pan and walls like your talking about and had all your ducks in a row you might get it done in two or three days yourself.
Had a customer that talked for awhile about doing hers then one day saw that west shore commercial one too many times. I don’t know what she paid. She probably wouldn’t have payed an extreme amount but it wasn’t cheap. Done in one day and had a strong odor from adhesive and silicone. Not a bad production.
Get a quote and let us know how that went!
With stupid prices these days there’s no telling costs without particulars but $4,000 is probably the minimum.
Id be close to that in labor, just guessing. And I’m not close to ya.

bany

The pan is something you can order to ”fit” and have the drain hole where you need it.
The sub-floor often needs reinforcement or replacement if moisture was ever a situation. I see they put plywood on the stud walls which probably holds the grab bars too.

YOU COULD JUST ADD GRAB BARS IN SOME LOCATIONS AND GET ONE OF THOSE SHOWER STOOLS?

pjciii

ucfireman
i think the person that lived here before me did something like that. Make sure no matter how you do it that if it is fiberglass that it properly supported. I know i am putting stress cracks in mine. I cant believe that they would charge that much and install a crappie prouduct. If your father is my age or older you really need to consider a low step over. Having bad knee's i can attest it is difficult to get in and out of a regular tub height.

Also alot of those non slip strips or floor only gets body hair caught in it. Then you have to get down there to keep it from looking like a bigfoot has been there. A seat is a good idea as well as grab bars and not just one. One on each side of the shower/tub. Largest on angled on far wall an 2 smaller horizontal bars on front and back for getting in and out. I have a single handle for the water and you turn from side to side. Only 1 thing to adjust and the magnetic head with 5 or 6 water settings and about a 4 foot hose on it. I am not trying to increase Your price but if you get it all done and it is difficult for them to use then the span of using it will get further and further apart.

Lastly when you done with your Dad i am available for adoption cheap. Just saying

Last edited:

ucfireman

He is 72. He fell in it a few months back and got me started thinking. Thankfully he was hurt bad just sore.
Yes to the low step, would love a roll in shower for a wheel chair if it ever came to that but the bathroom isn't big enough.
Yes to the grab bars, want at least 2 probably go with 3.
Yes to the no slip floor. I know its going to be a pain to clean but maybe use a broom or long handle brush and clean from a standing position.
Yes to the handheld for whatever is needed.
I really like the ide of a three valve diverter just so you can control the flow, you dont always need full flow (washing a dog or shower walls). I did see a 1 handle that would control the temp and then a side knob that would control the flow volume. That would work.
The plumbing and floor reinforcement should be easy as the house is a split level and the bathroom plumbing area is accessible in the basement.

Still in the thinking stage, having to build up savings again after losing the FD job. Now doing the private EMS thing and making more money but just started.
Thanks all for the comments, ideas and info.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Here are 2 temporary solutions for the grab bars.KIMG0555.JPGKIMG0556.JPG