Help with a Kitchen Water Leak

I found this website/forum while in a panic due to a water leak in our newly remodeled kitchen – any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. Here’s my situation – we purchased a 25-year old home and we’ve done a full kitchen remodel (new cabinets, counters, sink and such). I had a plumber hookup the RO and sink/faucet/disposal/dishwasher about 3 weeks ago – everything had been working fine. On Saturday mid-morning, I noticed water pooling under my cabinets (it was enough water to soak up a dish towel - we haven’t installed the cabinet toe-kicks nor tile so it’s very easy to see under my cabinets – I believe the water pooled to the low spots on the concrete floors). I had run the dishwasher Sat morning, so I figured I must have a leak in/near that area – but unfortunately, the area under the dishwasher was dry (easy to see the area without the toe-kicks) and the inside of my sink cabinet was completely dry as well. There was water pooling on the concrete floor near my RO system and under 2 other areas of the cabinets (again, perhaps just the low spots on the concrete floor). I checked the 3 RO filters and the connections all appeared to be dry, so I don’t think the water is coming from the RO system (it’s been making water for 3+ weeks). The only unique thing we did on Sat morning was run the dishwasher – but we had run the dishwasher 2 times before without issue. I’ve run the dishwasher 7-10 more times in the past 2 days just to see if I can reproduce the water leak – but you guessed it – no water leaking anywhere.

Couple things to add… the kitchen had a loop vent in the plumbing. During the remodeling project, we lowered the island down from bar-height so my plumber had to cut and lower the loop vent a few inches. I’m wondering if the intermittent water leak could be coming from (1) the ABS couplers that he used (perhaps he forgot to use glue on those couplers), or (2) if the cabinet installers inadvertently screwed into the ABS plumbing, or (3) if the granite installers inadvertently screwed into the ABS plumbing when they were installing the plywood base. Or perhaps – I just have a leak with my RO system and I couldn’t detect that it was coming from there.

Again, I’ve had the kitchen in operation for 3+ weeks and this is the first time I’ve detected a leak. Could running the dishwasher push so much water through the upper portion of the loop vent that it caused water to leak out of those top couplers (or out of a screw hole)? Could running the dishwasher at the same time as the RO system is making water cause enough pressure in the drain lines to cause water to leak out of a fitting?

I haven’t been able to reproduce the water leak so I don’t know who can help resolve the issue (the plumber, the RO company, the cabinet guys, or the granite installers). Is there a way to pressure test the drain lines to see if there are issues with the loop vent or drain lines? Any tests/scenarios you think I should go through to try to reproduce the water leak? The floor tile is 2-3 weeks away (and the cabinet toe-kicks as well) – any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I found this website/forum while in a panic due to a water leak in our newly remodeled kitchen – any advice you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. Here’s my situation – we purchased a 25-year old home and we’ve done a full kitchen remodel (new cabinets, counters, sink and such). I had a plumber hookup the RO and sink/faucet/disposal/dishwasher about 3 weeks ago – everything had been working fine. On Saturday mid-morning, I noticed water pooling under my cabinets (it was enough water to soak up a dish towel - we haven’t installed the cabinet toe-kicks nor tile so it’s very easy to see under my cabinets – I believe the water pooled to the low spots on the concrete floors). I had run the dishwasher Sat morning, so I figured I must have a leak in/near that area – but unfortunately, the area under the dishwasher was dry (easy to see the area without the toe-kicks) and the inside of my sink cabinet was completely dry as well. There was water pooling on the concrete floor near my RO system and under 2 other areas of the cabinets (again, perhaps just the low spots on the concrete floor). I checked the 3 RO filters and the connections all appeared to be dry, so I don’t think the water is coming from the RO system (it’s been making water for 3+ weeks). The only unique thing we did on Sat morning was run the dishwasher – but we had run the dishwasher 2 times before without issue. I’ve run the dishwasher 7-10 more times in the past 2 days just to see if I can reproduce the water leak – but you guessed it – no water leaking anywhere.

Couple things to add… the kitchen had a loop vent in the plumbing. During the remodeling project, we lowered the island down from bar-height so my plumber had to cut and lower the loop vent a few inches. I’m wondering if the intermittent water leak could be coming from (1) the ABS couplers that he used (perhaps he forgot to use glue on those couplers), or (2) if the cabinet installers inadvertently screwed into the ABS plumbing, or (3) if the granite installers inadvertently screwed into the ABS plumbing when they were installing the plywood base. Or perhaps – I just have a leak with my RO system and I couldn’t detect that it was coming from there.

Again, I’ve had the kitchen in operation for 3+ weeks and this is the first time I’ve detected a leak. Could running the dishwasher push so much water through the upper portion of the loop vent that it caused water to leak out of those top couplers (or out of a screw hole)? Could running the dishwasher at the same time as the RO system is making water cause enough pressure in the drain lines to cause water to leak out of a fitting?

I haven’t been able to reproduce the water leak so I don’t know who can help resolve the issue (the emergency plumber, the RO company, the cabinet guys, or the granite installers). Is there a way to pressure test the drain lines to see if there are issues with the loop vent or drain lines? Any tests/scenarios you think I should go through to try to reproduce the water leak? The floor tile is 2-3 weeks away (and the cabinet toe-kicks as well) – any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Use toilet paper to spot leaks. Touch one piece to every place you think might be the cause, if there is any water present it'll show on the paper. If that doesn't work, put it on the floor in the same areas and keep a check on it. Any water showing will point at least closer to the cause. Welcome to THE Campfire!

Dbender

Very well could have been some type of junk or debris in the trap that caused a backup the first time you ran the dishwasher. It may now be flushed out and no more issues.

tucker80

He's probably referring to an island vent and a reverse osmosis filter.

@flennwagner Call your plumber back out. He needs to warranty his work.
As you use new hook ups, the hot water can cause things to loosen up as they settle in. My guess is the dishwasher at the tailpiece or a slip joint on the trap.
It may not happen every time. For example just running the sink vs filling it up and dumping it all at once, 2 different loads are being applied.

paulito

Don't discount a vent pipe for the drain line leaking either. YEARS ago when me and the FIL put a new dishwasher in our house all of a sudden we had a leak but like in your case we could not get the dishwasher to reproduce it. After finally tearing our the drywall behind the washer we discovered a nail from an adjacent stud had pierced the PVC vertical vent pipe going to the roof. Over the years the nail had rusted and we assume we jostled it enough during our installation to start the leak. It drove us mad until we found it.

hopper

You need to just check everything until you find it.
Maybe even have the Plumber back out.

Lukikus2

Could also be the basket strainer leaking. Fill the sink and pull the plug and watch it. If you have a pull out sprayer check the connection at the hose and sprayer head.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If the inlet lines had a leak the pressure would make it show up as constant.
A drain line will only leak when water is running thru it.
I have also seen a dishwasher seal not seal correctly every time the door is shut.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Don't discount a vent pipe for the drain line leaking either. YEARS ago when me and the FIL put a new dishwasher in our house all of a sudden we had a leak but like in your case we could not get the dishwasher to reproduce it. After finally tearing our the drywall behind the washer we discovered a nail from an adjacent stud had pierced the PVC vertical vent pipe going to the roof. Over the years the nail had rusted and we assume we jostled it enough during our installation to start the leak. It drove us mad until we found it.

Had much the same. While installing new cabinets the installer drove a screw into a drain line in the wall. Didn't show up as a leak to a few weeks later.

DannyW

A drain line will only leak when water is running thru it.

This ^^^.

Working on my daughter's dishwasher a few months ago. Couldn't figure out why it was leaking. Would run the dishwasher while looking under it and no leak. She would run a load of dishes full cycle and find water in her cabinet.

Finally got smart, or lucky, and got underneath it when it was discharging and found the leak.