Water heater question--about to lose my religion

Jester896

Senior Clown
I sure miss my AO Smith now that I have a Rheem. I replaced mine just because it was old (20) for something more efficient. I remember the days I used to have hot water.

twtabb

Read this post today. Thinking I have had my share of hot water and plumbing issues. Got to farm house tonight and breaker keeps tripping on water heater. Looked on sticker and it had the year 2004. Should I see about fixing it or just get a new one and be done with it?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Read this post today. Thinking I have had my share of hot water and plumbing issues. Got to farm house tonight and breaker keeps tripping on water heater. Looked on sticker and it had the year 2004. Should I see about fixing it or just get a new one and be done with it?

The one I have is around $400 for a 50 gallon electric Rheem water heater at HD. for that $ I’d put a new one in and be done with it. Be my luck I’d repair it and come back in a couple weeks and it would have flooded the house

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I missed the party. But in case this helps

You got unlucky. They're good heaters. And yes Rheem = 6 years. Broken dip tube will cause you to not get hot water. It would never explain the scalding hot, and the constant tripping. Those are electrical shorts. Bad wire or connection somewhere in there causing too much amperage. That same short likely cooked one or both of the t-stats causing it to misbehave. Anyway, assuming you have legit 230 or 240v coming in on a decent 10/2 wire, a new heater will fix you up and you can finally get a bath because man, look at you.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I'd find out why the breaker is tripping. Especially if it's at a farmhouse. Wouldn't start off throwing a water heater at it.

twtabb

Breaker would stay on about 5 min then trip. I did get hot water but it tripped again. I am on a well in south west ga. Tank has never been drained original everything. However it only gets used occasional not on when we are not there and only when we need hot water.
Sure it’s full of sediment. Probably a bad element but I feel like we got our money’s worth.

Will get electrician/plumber by there to look at it.

Cmp1

BANNED
Breaker would stay on about 5 min then trip. I did get hot water but it tripped again. I am on a well in south west ga. Tank has never been drained original everything. However it only gets used occasional not on when we are not there and only when we need hot water.
Sure it’s full of sediment. Probably a bad element but I feel like we got our money’s worth.

Will get electrician/plumber by there to look at it.
If it's tripping the t Stat reset button,,,,bad element,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Leaving a placeholder here for "Dip Tube", when the new heater magically fixes all the electrical and temperature issues. ::ke: (hope this helps).

(...and preparing myself for the online onslaught). :bounce: "Hold...HOLD!"

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Leaving a placeholder here for "Dip Tube", when the new heater magically fixes all the electrical and temperature issues. ::ke: (hope this helps).

(...and preparing myself for the online onslaught). :bounce: "Hold...HOLD!"
Rheem didn’t mention a dip tube and I didn’t bring it up since she said “new unit”

Cmp1

BANNED
A dip tube would definitely cause hot water issues,,,,specifically running out of hot water quickly,,,,

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Well I got hot water. Like to have had to go to jail at Home Depot but ?‍♂️

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
When my wife and I built our house my mom and dad moved into a new house and gave us their old water heater, that was 40 years ago. Yeah I know I just jinxed myself.

CHANDLECTRIC

This water heater can be repaired, why was a 20amp breaker on it? should be a 30 with #10 wire, both elements never come on at the same time, never!
The thermostats are wired wrong. Check amps ( @18.75 amps for a 4500 watt element) make sure thermostats are in contact with tank, the resets on t-stats trip for for high temp . Your electrician should repair this , possibility your Plummer.