Water heater question--about to lose my religion

Cmp1

BANNED
It's probably something simple,,,,what are the new elements rated at?
They're usally btwn 11 and 15 ohms,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I shared this thread with my plumber friend, of over 30 years, got an immediate reply. I quote:
"Go to that website and tell him the dip tube has rotted and fallen in to the tank". :type:

So I did...PM me if you want to hire a plumber, who also speaks hot rod Dodges...
Here he is from the bucket list thread on the left:
wp_20190531_23_24_18_pro-jpg.972362

Bucket List

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
I shared this post with my plumber friend, of over 30 years, got an immediate reply. I quote:
"Go to that website and tell him the dip tube has rotted and fallen in to the tank". :type:

So I did...PM me if you want to hire a plumber, who also speaks hot rod Dodges...
Here he is from the bucket list thread on the left:
wp_20190531_23_24_18_pro-jpg.972362

Bucket List
Cold water at the top of the tank,,,,causing both t Stats to run,,,,

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sorry, but you paid good money for a new product that has yet to work correctly.
The redneck would have already had it replaced with another unit.
My pastor would not have approved of the conversation if I got push back.
Enough......

Cmp1

BANNED
Sorry, but you paid good money for a new product that has yet to work correctly.
The redneck would have already had it replaced with another unit.
My pastor would not have approved of the conversation if I got push back.
Enough......
Rheem is usally a good tank,,,,

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

georgia357

. its located in the closet in my daughters room so she would hear it if it did.

If this was my heater, I would find another room away from the heater for my daughters to sleep in. I've seen the end results of a water heater exploding. True, the pressure release pop off valve should prevent that but I wouldn't take the chance.

Jim Baker

Staff member
If this was my heater, I would find another room away from the heater for my daughters to sleep in. I've seen the end results of a water heater exploding. True, the pressure release pop off valve should prevent that but I wouldn't take the chance.

If you are going to have to purchase a new water I would explore the possibility of using a exterior mounted gas fired tankless. I have had one for 11 years now and it has never missed a beat. They just ran the plumbing through the wall and a 110 outlet. It is right beside the gas furnace, so that was simple also.

Dan Conrad

Elements should be checked with an ampmeter , not an ohm meter. If water is in tank, bad element can show good. Suspect a shorted element.

Dan Conrad

You can burn out a new element by turning on if the water level in tank is below the element. Could have a partially clogged inlet tube or it could have broken off. When cold water coming into tank hits the hot water, minerals can flash out of the water in the tube.The harder the water, the higher the possibility. I personally never heard of an electric water heater blow up, gas heaters yes.I started working on in 1975.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Mornin'...

How did the dip tube look?
I shared this thread with my plumber friend, of over 30 years, got an immediate reply. I quote:

Steve762us

I know more about a water heater now than I ever wanted to know

Something else--if water heater makes "popcorn popping" noises, it's mineral
sediment build-up.

On gas heater, there'll be a pile of sediment (looks like chips/fragments of
sea shells) on floor of tank. Burner heats tank floor, and water boiling up
thru layers of sediment make the popping noise. Creates local hot-spots
on tank floor and shortens tank life.

It will happen in electric heaters, too, if sediment is allowed to build-up
until lower element is buried. The lower element tends to burn-out.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Something else--if water heater makes "popcorn popping" noises, it's mineral
sediment build-up.

On gas heater, there'll be a pile of sediment (looks like chips/fragments of
sea shells) on floor of tank. Burner heats tank floor, and water boiling up
thru layers of sediment make the popping noise. Creates local hot-spots
on tank floor and shortens tank life.

It will happen in electric heaters, too, if sediment is allowed to build-up
until lower element is buried. The lower element tends to burn-out.
I flushed it out back in March when I changed that first element.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The one I had in there before was here when I bought the house in 2001. Lasted till 2017. I think it was stamped 1997 manufacture date. I think I changed the element once.

And a brand new one lasts 3 years ?