Bear hunting in North Georgia

Marlin_444

Hey Mr. Dana:

Sooo... Lack of food in the woods, on the mountains driving them early - you expect?

Please tell ol'Brian I say hey!!!

Have a Good One!

base3448

more pictures to come, i am going to put out a trail cam and hopefully get some good video footage. its on opening day

gunsbillygun

ok, im going crazy, time to get out the house and in the woods yet? i just had surgery on my right elbow, ive been putting it off a couple of years, so i fegur i would go ahead and do it before hunting season so it would he heald up enough to do some tree climbing, and triger pulling. come season. i think its good enough to get out the tree spikes and do a dry run. and shure enough im good to go. just holler and ill come a running.

bear picture on chattahoochee

thought yall might enjoy seeing a bear,cub is in left hand corner.taking last fall while bow hunting.ill see if i can post the one i killed last year too.Gun killed 170 pound boar.

Attachments

• DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC00205.jpg
    DSC00205.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 793

base3448

Sweet pictures, thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!, I would of loved to be in the tree when mama and cubby came in that close. Did they scent you????????

Marlin_444

Hey All:

Time to put a role call together and firm up a plan.

The week of Gun opener is my plan to get up to the mountains for a Bear Hunt.

We need to line up a -

- Bow Hunt,

- Black Powder and

- Gun

So who is game and good to get things lined up?

Probably bring the Pop-up so I'll have some space for a couple guys...

Gapacman (Rick is already to be placed on a e-mail list)...

Who else wants in, let me know...

The Fred Bear Bow is tuned, sighted and well practiced already - How Bout You!!!

Have a Good One.

Spooner

Thanks for the Bear stories. After reading this entire thread I got so fired up I went scouting in the rain this mornng. Didn't see anything in the woods but I was riding around after the rain quit and saw a small bear on the side of the road. Keep the stories coming.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
what kind of sights are you using on your bear / hog style gun ? right now my Encore in 450 Marlin is wearing a 1.5X4.5 X 20 scope with center dot lighted red as needed. so far I haven't changed from open sights on either the 20" 460S&W carbine ,or the 15"460S&W pistol barrel but I am looking at changing them both. eddy

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
NO SUGGESTIONS???????????????????????????????????

gunsbillygun

im hunting with a S&W 629 w/ 8 1/2 brl , and i use open iron sights. only shooting out to 50 yards or so .

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
I was thinking open sights might be best but as I get older scopes / dot sights are faster for these old eyes:banginghe eddy

Marlin_444

Bear Hunt'n NGA

Hey All:

Bow:

Either the PSE Viper X Bow or Bear Buckmaster, 125 Grain Magnus Stinger 4 Blade

- Sadly due to regs -> No Side Arm...

Black Powder:

Traditions XLT .50 Cal, Nickel Ported 28" Bbl.

- Side Arm - 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Cal 7.5" Bbl

Modern Gun:

Either using Iron, Ghost Rings or Red Dot on the Marlin (444P or 1895GS :bounce:).

- Side Arm to be the Taurus 44 Mag (Yep workin on it gapacman!) 8 3/8 bbl.

How about you...

Have a Good One!

Last edited:

Dana Young

:huh:All bears on the chsattahoochee national forest have mysterieously dyed. I don't know what happened they all seemed to have got lead poisoning or some sort of hemmoriaging disease. there are none left at all as of yesterday afternoon. sorry about yall's plansiguess you will have to hunt hogs since there are no deers or bears left in the mtns.:rofl::biggrin3::biggrin2:

Marlin_444

Bear Hunt'n in NGA

Hey Dana:

Well you dun gon'n dunit... You dun kilt all them Bars...

Guess we'll have to jus go and try our luck in them hills...

Hope'n you'll come sit a spell with us, after we drag a few out:bounce:

Some of these boys are Fired up and I am gett'n thataway myself!

We only got out that one time last year, danged if we did'nt almost loose two fellas (You know what I'am talkin bout:eek:)!

It's a good idea to have more than just a cigarette light on yah on the Mountain, in the woods and waaaaaaay after dark:rofl:

Tell ol'Brian we'll make sure and include him on the list of Elite Mountain Men for this years hunting festivities...

Anyway, hoep you and yours are doin well... Look'n like you are gonna fill your out-fittin quoto; good luck with that.

Take care, be safe; have a Good'n and we'll see yah in the woods soon!

ed'sboy

I posted some ideas on the traditional forum about opening weekend. Figured we could get together at our cabin next to Swallow Creek after Saturday evening's hunt and throw some stuff on the grill.
Good friend of mine with the DNR ran bear lines this July and said they identified some that were probably 400+ pounds. As Dana said earlier they probably are all dead by now from that strange disease.:bounce:
Let me know if anybody is interested in opening weekend get together (bow). If the river rises and you want to fish I can put you on a private portion of the Hiawasse for some nice trout as well. Let me know early on, I can only put a few on at a time. 1st come 1st served.

Marlin_444

Hey All:

Ed's Boy put me down for a slot... I am slated to be in Hilton Head on Friday night (Dang if work don't get in the way of my Hunt'n...).

Trouble with "Opening Day" is it tends to remind me of "Amatuer (Caint Spel Neither) Day"... I like to Kick Off the following week, but; that's jus me...

Don't know if you have heard from any of the other Good Ole Boys like Brian Chambers, Dana Young and or Base3448?

I am gonna Chunk Out an e-mail out to them all to see if we can meet up.

Could be a wild time in the Mountains this year... Some Grumpy ol'Hungry Bears...

Have a Good'n...