Belt type pfd

hipster dufus

Im pondering going to the belt type pfd, manual or auto. Anyone reccomend a brand ? Looking at onyx manual m16. Im getting older and want something i and my fishing pal will use. Weear my vest type when im alone and underway with the cutoff. Just thinking i would wear a belt type all the time and hopefully would not notice it. Tia

basstrkr

The Auto (co2 ) fill jackets are very comfortable, I often forget I have it on. The belt type are not must value if you fall in unconscious.

Beehaw

I have a vest and a belt, both A/M type. I have never considered the belt to be nearly as safe or useful as the best. It would make recovery of the body easier if you hit your head going in.

I try to plan for the worst with safety equipment, so I wear my vest.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I wear a vest type PFD kayaking and leave it on when I get out to wade. Might save my life if I fall wading, won’t do no good in the yak. Don’t think the belt type would be as effective in a stunned or incapacitated situation.

pjciii

Wouldn't a belt type have you bobbing upside down just simply due mass distribution In the body? I personally Prefer the Mae West auto inflation style.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Wouldn't a belt type have you bobbing upside down just simply due mass distribution In the body? I personally Prefer the Mae West auto inflation style.
^^^This
First thing to consider with a pfd is will it keep your head out of the water if you are unconscious.
Even the water can knock you out if impacted right.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Get automatic whatever kind you use.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
We used the ski belts long ago when water skiing, kneeboarding, and tubing behind the boat. They are Mainly to assist youbto stay afloat when conscious. Not really to be used as a life saving device. They will keep you afloat, but you be bobbing upside down. If it is a situation wear you might become unconscious I don't recommend it. We actually probably used them in a lot of situations where we should have been in vest.

hipster dufus

Ones im looking at inflate then u pull a belt over ur head.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The belts assume your coherent.