Benelli Nova and Rhino/nitro results

futuredoc

Ok, so I finally got my Rhino .660 choke and my Nitro shotgun shells. I talked to the people at nitro and they reccomended something different than is on their website for the Benelli Nova. The setup was a .660 2" rhino choke, and 3.5" 4x5x7 hevishot out of a 24" Benelli Nova.

Ok are you ready for the results! 283 pellets. . . . that's right I counted it twice because I didn't believe it . . . . 283 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards! I actually and thinking of trying to open it up some.

fd

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
if that is what you got at 40 yards, no reason to open it up.

sweet results.

Jim

dutchman

futuredoc said:
Ok, so I finally got my Rhino .660 choke and my Nitro shotgun shells. I talked to the people at nitro and they reccomended something different than is on their website for the Benelli Nova. The setup was a .660 2" rhino choke, and 3.5" 4x5x7 hevishot out of a 24" Benelli Nova.

Ok are you ready for the results! 283 pellets. . . . that's right I counted it twice because I didn't believe it . . . . 283 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards! I actually and thinking of trying to open it up some.

fd

Is that with no other work on the Nova? That's awesome in my book!

futuredoc

no work

That is bone stock. No work done on the gun except some fiber optic sights. I was about to polish the bore, but it appears to be chrome lined and shiny as a mirror anyway. I just counted the other target I shot to check and make sure it wasn't a fluke. 280 pellets! No fluke. I need some trigger work on the gun though. Trigger is terrible! I noticed that the gun shoots a little low at 10 yards to shoot dead on at 40. Have you noticed this with your guns?

fd

Nitro

Banned
Paper results are great........... Wait til you see his head spurting like a spray nozzle. :bounce:

I don't worry about cost of the shells, I have no worry of the result when I pull the trigger.

futuredoc, tell me this - was it worth the expense ? ;)

Hope you have a great season.

Junebug

FD,
Glad they worked out for you; I was certain they would.

I too had to adjust my point of aim when I changed to Nitros. Like I mentioned before, it's ultra-critical with those shells to check point of aim because the pattern is so dense. Adjustable sights are a must.

futuredoc

yep

Agar,

Definately worth the money. I will never shoot anything other brand of shell at a turkey.

I am going to go shoot that gun a lot with bird loads to get comfortable with it. I guess it will be a dead bird or a clean miss with that thing from now on!

fd

QuakerBoy

do you have a link to the nitro site?

Randy

Could you tell which pellets #4,#5#7 are in the kill zone at 40 yards? If it was #7 you may have a good pattern with a pontential for bad terminal results.

Nitro

Banned
I have shot only Nitro Ammo for the last 15 seasons.

Mostly #5's and now a duplex 5x6 load. Nickeled lead shot.

I don't know about the energy level for a #7 shot at 40 yards and beyond. (I know 5's and 6's work real well).

I am at 61 longbeards killed with Nitro ammo. It works for me.

I'm out the door heading for South Carolina. Hope to be home Saturday with the next few victims in the cooler.

AG

futuredoc

Randy

There appear to be plenty of 4's and 5's in the center. I am not sure exactly how it works, but it seems as though the 7's just king of fill in the gaps where there are no 4's and 5's. Remember this is hevishot so you are looking at a bit more energy with the 7 hevis than lead. I understand a 7 hevi is about the equivalent of a 6 lead or so, and I love 6's.

Here is the best I can do with a scan of it. The read and black marks are where I counted the number of hits twice because I wasn't sure I believed myself.

fd

Attachments

• 283.jpg
    283.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 121

Junebug

SCPO: To the very best of my knowledge they only sell online. This close to turkey season it may be tough to get a hold of a handful of shells though...I dunno.

Randy: I've been killing birds with the copper (vs Hevi) Nitros for 5 years or so. They've ranged from 13 to 52 yards; the 52 yarder was (obviously) a BAD distance judging error. Every single one of them fell like an anvil had been dropped on their neck.

Upon inspection (especially the first few birds because I was a little skeptical about the 7s also) I found that they penetrated the neck vertebrae and generally lodged inder the skin on the other side of the head. Of course the 4s and 5s performed just as one would expect at all ranges.

Last edited:

bubbafowler

Where do i get this choke and shells at??? How much do they run??? Are you shooting 3' or 3 1/2???? I have a nova as well and wouldnt mind this group at all!!!

Limb Hanger

Folks I ordered 10 nitro shells for a 20 gauge. THey are expensive! Not knocking them but when you start paying ~$4 (4X5X7.5 heavy shot) a shell they better work! They make a great product and I guess you do get what you pay for but be ready for the $ when you call them! Also my Rhino choke is being sent as we speak for the 20..........

Last edited:

Carp

Googes, Inc. 90 E. Jarman Street, Hazlehurst, GA 31539
Phone: 912-375-5546 Contact: David Googe