Bermuda Grass in New Dove Field

C.J.

I have an 8 acre field we are going to plant for Dove. I dont have access to spray it until March 1st. What is the best way to keep this down? Planning to spray next winter and spring as well. Going to plant millet, sunflowers, and sorghum.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know much about dove fields but I do know Bermuda is dormant in most climates right now. Spraying won’t harm it during cold frosty weather.

doomtrpr_z71

Bermuda is dormant, do you want it dead or suppressed? If you plant millet and sorghum theres nothing to spray over the top that will kill bermuda.

Jim Baker

Staff member
When the bermuda greens up spray with Round UP quik pro. Has glyphosate and diquat. Won't kill it if it is still dormant. Then spray again in about 10 days and again in another 10 days. Then be prepared to spray again. I don't know of anything that will kill it with one spraying.

doomtrpr_z71

When the bermuda greens up spray with Round UP quik pro. Has glyphosate and diquat. Won't kill it if it is still dormant. Then spray again in about 10 days and again in another 10 days. Then be prepared to spray again. I don't know of anything that will kill it with one spraying.

I doubt he wants to spend that kind of money on 8 acres, since it would be close to 1k in chemicals. Glyphosate will kill it in 2 applications if its applied in a 2% solution at 20 gallons per acre, that'd take 54oz of generic glyphosate per acre per application. You add a grass herbicide that can be tankmixed with it such as fluazifop or clethodim but it may still take 2 applications in case some reemerges during the summer.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I doubt he wants to spend that kind of money on 8 acres, since it would be close to 1k in chemicals. Glyphosate will kill it in 2 applications if its applied in a 2% solution at 20 gallons per acre, that'd take 54oz of generic glyphosate per acre per application. You add a grass herbicide that can be tankmixed with it such as fluazifop or clethodim but it may still take 2 applications in case some reemerges during the summer.

Yep! I was just trying to get a mix of glyphosate and diquat. Didn't look at the rate or cost. But it seems we may have use paraquat and glyphosate. Been a while.

It is tough to kill. It doesn't take but one rhizome to start it going again The leaves are so small they do not absorb much spray. Any plowing just spreads it.

doomtrpr_z71

Yep! I was just trying to get a mix of glyphosate and diquat. Didn't look at the rate or cost. But it seems we may have use paraquat and glyphosate. Been a while.

It is tough to kill. It doesn't take but one rhizome to start it going again The leaves are so small they do not absorb much spray. Any plowing just spreads it.
Yep, Glyphosate and paraquat would be cheaper than quikpro if the op has a pesticide license and its difficult to find diquat that isn't a premix. Definitely need a high spray volume to get good enough coverage to keep from respraying.

C.J.

so when would be the best time of year to spray? in spring right around the time it greens up?

doomtrpr_z71

Yes in spring but not at green up, I'd wait until its growing well to spray since you'll need the leaf area to get good spray coverage.

C.J.

Yes in spring but not at green up, I'd wait until its growing well to spray since you'll need the leaf area to get good spray coverage.
you think just glyphosate and 24D and spray it on heavy? I might just do strips this year to test it out instead of killing all 8 acres

Ihunt

2-4d doesn’t kill grass.

Good luck trying to kill it this year. I have read that you can kill it at the rate of 3 qts per acre if you spray it late fall before it goes dormant. It should take the spray to the roots then hopefully go dormant. If you time it right, the Roundup will stay in the roots all winter and really hurt it. But I bet some still comes back next year.

doomtrpr_z71

2-4d doesn’t kill grass.

Good luck trying to kill it this year. I have read that you can kill it at the rate of 3 qts per acre if you spray it late fall before it goes dormant. It should take the spray to the roots then hopefully go dormant. If you time it right, the Roundup will stay in the roots all winter and really hurt it. But I bet some still comes back next year.

You want it actively growing, glyphosate will not persist in plants over winter. Its going to roots regardless of the season if its actively growing.

aabradley82

Glyphosphate will get it eventually. Maybe sunflowers this year? You can spray them with something that will burn up the grass

fountain

I would think a heavy dose of clethodim would work. I've planted sunflowers the past 2 years and I have a fair amount of Bermuda in mine. The cadre will work on it, but it will come back. I put down treflan last year before planting, hit it with cadre after they got up good and then hit it with roundup and 2-4d before season. With the abundant rain this year, I had the grass and weeds back before the first season ended. It may be best to plant cadre sunflowers and tend them this summer...then when you want them to die, hit it with heavy roundup and maybe some clethodim...something like that.

fountain

Bermuda grass roots run DEEP too. I've been planting oaks the last 2 days with a 2" auger and have found roots a foot an further below the surface. No wonder that mess is so hard to kill and keep dead

doomtrpr_z71

Clethodim by itself will not kill Bermuda unless you make several applications, it inhibits lipid synthesis and will not kill the roots. Cadre does not fare well against anything with rhizomes and beyond is in the same boat. Imazapyr would provide control but it severely limits food plots and is costly.